Author Topic: Minefields surrounding spawn points = new object for terrain developers  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Just as an option, this is a wishlist request for a new type of object. 

Minefields were important defenses against attacks.  A new "minefield" object could either include multiple trigger points or a single trigger point ( I would opt for the multiple, making laying them out somewhat like placing a small base on the terrain).

What is the purpose and how should it act

• The map designer or Scenario admin would be able to set minefields surrounding Ground Vehicle spawn points
  • The new danger will add new dimension to moving into an enemies spawn position
  • It would be the spawn's equivalent to auto guns
  • Disarming them could be tied to base ammo bunkers, even assigning particular bunkers to specific areas
  • Graphics could simulate the minefield warning signs as seen in WW2 film footage
  • Brand new ground strategy for Scenarios or possibly even Main Arena
  • The charges should reflect the amount of damage to vehicles according to armor type
  • Advanced graphics idea could render exploded tanks as burning shells for a period of time (instead of disappearing act)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:09:06 PM by Chilli »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
This is from an old thread and discovered by AKAK, I believe.  http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/981100-schneck.htm

It is just a little tiny blurb from the history of the use of mines. 

I am also, very sensitive to the nature of the harm in real life these devices cause.  Just like everything else that HTC has done with this game, any such addition shall be done entirely with true respect and debt owed to all those who have fought to protect our beliefs and rights. 

(Note:  This is a cartoon game, and hopefully adding such an object will only help to increase the respect for those that fought under these hellish conditions)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:26:34 PM by Chilli »

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member

Minefields were important defenses against attacks.  A new "minefield" object could either include multiple trigger points or a single trigger point ( I would opt for the multiple, making laying them out somewhat like placing a small base on the terrain).

What is the purpose and how should it act

• The map designer or Scenario admin would be able to set minefields surrounding Ground Vehicle spawn points
  • The new danger will add new dimension to moving into an enemies spawn position
  • It would be the spawn's equivalent to auto guns
  • Disarming them could be tied to base ammo bunkers, even assigning particular bunkers to specific areas
  • Graphics could simulate the minefield warning signs as seen in WW2 film footage
  • Brand new ground strategy for Scenarios or possibly even Main Arena
  • The charges should reflect the amount of damage to vehicles according to armor type
  • Advanced graphics idea could render exploded tanks as burning shells for a period of time (instead of disappearing act)

(Image removed from quote.)

Would air forces be able to interact with these mines, aka shooting them / bombing them to cause them to detonate and allow friendly ground forces the ability to drive past?  Also, would there be a way to spot these mines?
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline 715

• Silver Member
-1.  Emphatic -1.

Do you really want your tank to randomly blow up from mines you cannot see and have no idea where they are?  If you're up for that then how about random mechanical failures in your airplanes, like having Me163s randomly explode (as they were prone to do)?  How do you think that would go over?  (I can tell you because at one point Air Warrior implemented random mechanical failures.  It was removed almost immediately as it was extremely unpopular.)

Also, why on Earth would the enemy label their mine fields- the whole point of a mine is to catch the enemy unaware and destroy them.  The signs you show are undoubtedly after an area is secure and free of any enemy action, and therefore irrelevant to AH (since we don't have to drive long distances to our fights, we just spawn there).

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member

The mines used during WWII would only knock tracks off of the medium and larger tanks leaving the lighter vehicles as the only targets that would be killed. They already have enough to worry about.

If you want to kill light vehicles then wish for infantry with the Boys anti-tank rifle (.55 cal early war to midwar), or PIAT (late war) system to kill everything.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
The signs you show are undoubtedly after an area is secure and free of any enemy action {snip}

A good point if this is entirely true.  I would have to research it to agree that minefields weren't ever posted in live battlefields.  Since, the mines would have no way of telling friend from foe in real life, I am skeptical that they were never posted.

They were setup as barriers, the same as I would consider them in the spawn point application in the game.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough.  The minefields would present danger to those who were approaching the spawn "CAMPING" area (not randomly placed everywhere; but also available to be placed elsewhere in scenarios only).  This means that AH tankers would either keep their distance from enemy spawns or endure the dangers of crossing a minefield.

OR

Are we so Xbox oriented at getting kills from defenseless spawners that realistic buffers to tone it down are intolerable? 

The mines used during WWII would only knock tracks off of the medium and larger tanks leaving the lighter vehicles as the only targets that would be killed. They already have enough to worry about.

If you want to kill light vehicles then wish for infantry with the Boys anti-tank rifle (.55 cal early war to midwar), or PIAT (late war) system to kill everything.

A tracked vehicle in an open area close to enemy spawn is just as good as destroyed.  Making the resupply (with jeep or M3) of that vehicle difficult would also be desirable.  Why else would light vehicles need to proceed onto an enemy spawn?

Again, I thought I made this clear (either in the title, or in the original post), the idea is to add danger to vehicles that are attempting to move into an enemy's spawn area

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Would air forces be able to interact with these mines, aka shooting them / bombing them to cause them to detonate and allow friendly ground forces the ability to drive past?  Also, would there be a way to spot these mines?

I thought that they could be "deactivated" as the ammo bunkers are taken down.  I was even thinking that independent bunkers might deactivate n(umber)% of mines per minefield.  Large Airfields, having more bunkers would also possibly support more minefields, and as a bunker would go down only a portion of all minefields surrounding its spawns would be deactivated.  All bunkers destroyed then the minefields would be cleared. 

Likewise, as ammo bunkers are rebuilt, the minefields become active at a percentage equal to that of the rebuilt bunkers.

The mines would not be visible, but the minefields would be marked by a change in terrain type (pretty much the way that bases are laid onto terrains as a unit including multiple objects), contained in a barbed wire fenced, contain signs posted, and terrain made to look distinguishable.

Remember, this feature is intended to deter enemy GVs from entering an enemy's spawn area, not to randomly stalk vehicles everywhere.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Players in AH are not known to stick to the intentions of the design.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
A good point if this is entirely true.  I would have to research it to agree that minefields weren't ever posted in live battlefields.  Since, the mines would have no way of telling friend from foe in real life, I am skeptical that they were never posted.

They were setup as barriers, the same as I would consider them in the spawn point application in the game.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough.  The minefields would present danger to those who were approaching the spawn "CAMPING" area (not randomly placed everywhere; but also available to be placed elsewhere in scenarios only).  This means that AH tankers would either keep their distance from enemy spawns or endure the dangers of crossing a minefield.

OR

Are we so Xbox oriented at getting kills from defenseless spawners that realistic buffers to tone it down are intolerable? 

A tracked vehicle in an open area close to enemy spawn is just as good as destroyed.  Making the resupply (with jeep or M3) of that vehicle difficult would also be desirable.  Why else would light vehicles need to proceed onto an enemy spawn?

Again, I thought I made this clear (either in the title, or in the original post), the idea is to add danger to vehicles that are attempting to move into an enemy's spawn area

They already do this ....some what... with the hedgerows. If a map maker doesn't put them in they are not used. As for adding mine by player action I would think the coding would be a nightmare. On top of that, they would be "objects" that would have to be updated to every player, much like 20 PT boats would. Can you see the lag issue that could pop up due to that?

Spawn camping has always been a part of the game, much like vulching. If HTC thought it was something that was hurting the game/game play they would have fixed it. They already have a control to fix it easily. The spawn points have a random spawn point. When you spawn in you spawn in a random spot in a certain sized area... say a square quarter mile <--- just a guess at the size. They can change the number to any size area they want.... 3 square miles say. That would make breaking a spawn camp much easier. But don't count on it happening.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
I would like floating mines protecting the ports.  Allow one single file arc of mines (floating on the surface) to be placed 10 miles or so on the perimeter of the base.  Any direct hit with a ship would result in it's loss.  They could be set at 250lb damage resistance like field guns and would be repairable as such. 

This would keep CV groups from getting to shouting distance from land.  Imagine the group getting close to shore and the mines getting re-supplied...BOOM!  :devil
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline muzik

• Silver Member

+1 for any new dynamic to the game ESPECIALLY if it deters spawn camping.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Thanks Muzik, it seems that you were able to grasp my concept.  This would be a tool for map makers and scenario administrators ONLY. No player placed mines (although the Claw already had that capability-- that is NOT what is wished for here).

Fugi makes a good point about objects flipping vehicles now, but those objects you are able to see and avoid.  The minefields would be marked, but once you entered the fields, the mines would be invisible

In ANY case the minefields that I am wishing for would NOT stop spawn camping, but it would add strategy, timing, skill and danger.  The best option to avoid, would be to find a location with line of sight, clear of the minefields and sharpen your long range shooting skills. 

:neener: ya missed me  :bolt:  :neener: missed me again

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member

Do you really want your tank to randomly blow up from mines you cannot see and have no idea where they are? 
YES! That would be hilarious!
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
I know how to get past them, send in a few waves of M8s to the spawn to get rid of the mines   :rofl

Offline 715

• Silver Member
I understand the desire to decrease spawn camping.  It is a very annoying and gamey, yet hard to avoid, aspect of fighting games.  However, if the mines keep the enemy out of the spawn area, how do the friendlies ever leave the spawn area without their own mines blowing them up?  Or would the mines be "gamey", i.e. only capable of blowing up enemies?

I think perhaps a better solution is to have multiple GV spawn points, some further back from the action, like some maps already have.  With multiple spawn points it's harder to camp all of them.