Author Topic: 9mm 1911's  (Read 2246 times)

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Re: 9mm 1911's
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »
Unfortunately pump action shotguns are restricted, as are self loading rifles etc otherwise to be honest I'd probably already have one, and or probably some type of AR-15.
AFAIK lever action shotguns, like Winchester Model 1887 and its reicarnations (Norinco/Chiappa 1887) are not restricted. Aussi lawmakers did not see "Terminator2" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzsDsYtnFc

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
TimRas! It's a lightyear since I last saw your name here!  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
Hello Bizman.
And apologies to Grendel.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
Pic of mine but not a good one . Gun just like Well Smith used in that zombie movie , can't remember the name .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:31:43 PM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
Rich if your ever in PA and want to shoot my 38super....offer is out there...shoot me a note if your commin out this way

Thank you. I'd love to.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 04:09:52 PM »
Pic of mine but not a good one . Gun just like Well Smith used in that zombie movie , can't remember the name .

I like your style. :)

I have a couple of those.  They're tanks.  :rock 

A 1006 and 5906.  Everybody that shoots them loves how they feel.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
I like your style. :)

I have a couple of those.  They're tanks.  :rock 

A 1006 and 5906.  Everybody that shoots them loves how they feel.

Thanks katanaso , your right they are sure tanks . I had a Browning 9mm first all most just like the S&W 9mm but I like the S&W better .

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
I think I said earlier in the thread that I have a 1006 as well.  I had two but traded one.  I picked the one I kept up for 400$ Canadian at a show back in 2000.  Very well built Smith, it was one of my favorites back then, I used to reload some pretty ridic high velocity 10mm rounds for it as well.  I probably only have about 5k through it tops, but it hasn't had any parts failures, and few if any stoppages that I can recall.  It's been a long time since I've shot it, but it still looks about 95%, and still points and feels as well as it ever did.

Offline Dicedealer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
1911s are one of the best if not the best firearm you can buy. Don't ruin it by buying the 9mm unless you have shot the 45 and prefer the 9 for some reason. I have many 9mm`s including my favorite CC, but my 1911 is a .45 the way God and Colt meant them to be.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 1911 in .45 ACP because I was trained on the Colt .45 ACP 1911 when I was in service, and thus, the 1911 is second nature to me in it's operation; the fact that the 1911 design fits my hand well is also a large consideration for my choice of a carry weapon.

As for caliber, well, this issue has been hashed and re-hashed ad infinitum for decades, and I agree with Maverick...

The argument will live on irregardless of the facts since handguns / caibers are a point of subjective opinion for many who only have range experiance to base it on.

The key factor in any fight is shot placement. A center punch to the forhead with a 22 LR is far far better than a periferal hit with a 500 S&W. Shoot what you can hit with, not what some wag on a forum touts as the solution to all problems.

...and it is the reason I also carry a .22 Magnum S&W Airlite as a back-up!

You can argue ballistics until you are blue in the face about how well one caliber performs against another, but when all is said and done in a fight, it all comes down to where you placed your round while you were under extreme pressure, adrenaline was coursing through your veins, your heartbeat was highly elevated, and your hands were shaking! I once read a Police Coroner's ballistic study on wounds in which he stated that hollow point rounds didn't perform as well as regular ball ammunition because clothing tended to clog the hollow point and did not allow the hollow point to perform as advertised. Again! It is subjective and really is all about shot placement.

Personally, I love the 1911 design because it fits my hand well and I have been well trained on its operation. I also love my S&W Model 19 in .357 Magnum, but it doesn't hide as well as my Kimber.

One last caution about 1911's, and for that matter, any auto-loading firearm; once you jack a round into the chamber, you always have a round in the chamber! Always, always, always assume that there is a round in the chamber! A common mistake made by people who are unfamiliar with auto-loading firearms is to remove the magazine and forget that they previously had jacked a round into the chamber and by simply removing the magazine, they thought the gun was safe! No auto-loading firearm is safe until you have removed the magazine and locked the slide, or bolt, to the rear and can visually verify that there is no round in the chamber!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:54:01 PM by Patches1 »
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
Patches, in years past I would very much agree that HP's were problematic, especially in the wintertime when folks wear heavier coats and such. With todays ammunition, that has changed, especially with the new Hornady crtical defense / duty ammo. Using a small soft filler in the hp seems to have taken care of the packing that cloth did. Newer designs in the jackets have also made significant gains in reliability than when it was just a copper cup filled with a lead slug, hp or not.

Pistol velocities were pretty slow to open up the older hp designs. If you could get the slug over1800 to 2000 fps it was a whole new ball game. The new slugs are a great shift in performance.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
I think I said earlier in the thread that I have a 1006 as well.  I had two but traded one.  I picked the one I kept up for 400$ Canadian at a show back in 2000.  Very well built Smith, it was one of my favorites back then, I used to reload some pretty ridic high velocity 10mm rounds for it as well.  I probably only have about 5k through it tops, but it hasn't had any parts failures, and few if any stoppages that I can recall.  It's been a long time since I've shot it, but it still looks about 95%, and still points and feels as well as it ever did.
You got a pic ?

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »

Thanks for the information, Maverick, I'll take a look into the newer ammunition. :-)
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »
Patches, in years past I would very much agree that HP's were problematic, especially in the wintertime when folks wear heavier coats and such. With todays ammunition, that has changed, especially with the new Hornady crtical defense / duty ammo. Using a small soft filler in the hp seems to have taken care of the packing that cloth did. Newer designs in the jackets have also made significant gains in reliability than when it was just a copper cup filled with a lead slug, hp or not.

Pistol velocities were pretty slow to open up the older hp designs. If you could get the slug over1800 to 2000 fps it was a whole new ball game. The new slugs are a great shift in performance.
highlighted part...it also gets you around stupid laws where hollowpoints are bastardized.....couighpfrnjco ughcough
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 1911 in .45 ACP because I was trained on the Colt .45 ACP 1911 when I was in service, and thus, the 1911 is second nature to me in it's operation; the fact that the 1911 design fits my hand well is also a large consideration for my choice of a carry weapon.

As for caliber, well, this issue has been hashed and re-hashed ad infinitum for decades, and I agree with Maverick...

...and it is the reason I also carry a .22 Magnum S&W Airlite as a back-up!

You can argue ballistics until you are blue in the face about how well one caliber performs against another, but when all is said and done in a fight, it all comes down to where you placed your round while you were under extreme pressure, adrenaline was coursing through your veins, your heartbeat was highly elevated, and your hands were shaking! I once read a Police Coroner's ballistic study on wounds in which he stated that hollow point rounds didn't perform as well as regular ball ammunition because clothing tended to clog the hollow point and did not allow the hollow point to perform as advertised. Again! It is subjective and really is all about shot placement.

Personally, I love the 1911 design because it fits my hand well and I have been well trained on its operation. I also love my S&W Model 19 in .357 Magnum, but it doesn't hide as well as my Kimber.

One last caution about 1911's, and for that matter, any auto-loading firearm; once you jack a round into the chamber, you always have a round in the chamber! Always, always, always assume that there is a round in the chamber! A common mistake made by people who are unfamiliar with auto-loading firearms is to remove the magazine and forget that they previously had jacked a round into the chamber and by simply removing the magazine, they thought the gun was safe! No auto-loading firearm is safe until you have removed the magazine and locked the slide, or bolt, to the rear and can visually verify that there is no round in the chamber!

only one correction if i may?

there is no such thing as an unloaded gun, unless it is fully disassembled. if it's a complete firearm, i treat it as if it's loaded....even after locking the slide back, and verifying empty chamber. i just can't make myself do it any other way.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)