Author Topic: "C" Armament for Spitfire V  (Read 817 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
"C" Armament for Spitfire V
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
The Spitfire Mk VC armament option would be nice, perhaps make it so when you select the C armament option it fits your Spitfire V with the Desert Vokes filter. So you get the 4x20mm option, but you lose a little bit of performance with the filter added on.

I'll head back to the cellar now...
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: "C" Armament for Spitfire V
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
I unsubscribe if any spitfire gets quad hizookas
See Rule #4

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »
The Spitfire Mk VC armament option would be nice, perhaps make it so when you select the C armament option it fits your Spitfire V with the Desert Vokes filter. So you get the 4x20mm option, but you lose a little bit of performance with the filter added on.

From what I recall the extra weight caused some issues & was done away with fairly quickly.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »

1) The game does not currently have the structure to make those kinds of flight model changes based on hangar choices.
2) The version of Spitfire Mk V we have in AH did not have a universal wing so it lacked the capability to change armaments between eight .303s, two 20mm and four .303s, or four 20mms.  It has the wrong engine for those models.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 12:17:50 AM »

Give the Vc the ammo option of taking cigarettes instead of 20mm rounds.  When Geoffrey Wellum flew his Spitfire Vc into Malta during Operation Pedestal, the 20mm ammunition was replaced with cigarettes because there was a shortage of smokes on the island.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
Interesting info guys thanks!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:21:36 AM »
hehe if you put 4 20mm's on a spitfire-the wings would probably rip off when lifting off the runway/grass field.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
hehe if you put 4 20mm's on a spitfire-the wings would probably rip off when lifting off the runway/grass field.

Or not.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
As has been often discussed.  The only 4 cannon use was by ground attack Spit Vc with one squadron late in the MTO where they weren't encountering bad guys in the air and they operated at lower alt.  The Malta Vcs had two of the cannon removed for performance.  In essence the 4 cannon load out was just a way of getting spare cannons to Malta.

A Universal Wing Spitfire Vc with the 2 cannon 4 mg load out would be nice for the better ammo load.  In AH all you need to do is take the Seafire IIc and you have a Spit Vc with a tail hook.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
As has been often discussed.  The only 4 cannon use was by ground attack Spit Vc with one squadron late in the MTO where they weren't encountering bad guys in the air and they operated at lower alt.  The Malta Vcs had two of the cannon removed for performance.  In essence the 4 cannon load out was just a way of getting spare cannons to Malta.

A Universal Wing Spitfire Vc with the 2 cannon 4 mg load out would be nice for the better ammo load.  In AH all you need to do is take the Seafire IIc and you have a Spit Vc with a tail hook.

Yeah, I was pondering that after Squire was telling me about it. Thanks for the info. <S>