Author Topic: Attention Smart people  (Read 1597 times)

Offline duie

• Zinc Member
Attention Smart people
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »
given bf109 size, how many circle mils would be representative of 250 yards?

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Attention Smart people
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:12:21 PM »
Patato!

:old:    :old:    :old:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
Are you asking the apparent wingspan of a Bf-109 at 250 yards in angular mils? If my math is correct that's about 41 mils.
Bustr may give you a more detailed answer.

Offline duie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
im trying to set my gun sight circle to my convergence.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
Try the .target command offline or in the training arena. Use  .target 250 to set a flying target North of you at 250 yards.  This will show you your dispersion as well as the effect of a 250 yard convergence at any other range you set the target to.

If you spawn a 109 on a N runway with .target 1 you will see the wingspan on the target.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
given bf109 size, how many circle mils would be representative of 250 yards?

It wouldn't matter, it's the energy you gotta take into consideration for the lead, not the size...

100mph = 50mil = 1/2 of a 100mil gun-sight at 90 degrees deflection
200mph = 100mil = 2 halves of a 100mil gun-sight at 90 degrees deflection
and so on and so forth...

Hell, even the edges of many forward cockpit airframes are roughly 150mil or 300mph 90 degree deflection

Here have a nice zip folder full of fun stuff to read so you can obtain pms about aimbot...

http://www.ah-freebirds.com/resources/Bustr_Gunnery.zip

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:07:39 PM by MrKrabs »
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:44:54 PM »
Krabs it's likely the OP's interest is range not lead from what he's posted so far.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
Krabs it's likely the OP's interest is range not lead from what he's posted so far.

True - but when he looks to practice his angles he already knows the convergence he is looking to use. Sure the dispersion is nice, but it would be for naught for holding while pulling G's

The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 06:30:09 AM »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
Just call it 40Mil. If it fits a 50Mil ring easily, -300yds. The game will only give you -400, then suddenly 200.

Angular Mil using meters = 39Mil
Similar Triangles in inches = 43Mil
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline duie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
Try the .target command offline or in the training arena. Use  .target 250 to set a flying target North of you at 250 yards.  This will show you your dispersion as well as the effect of a 250 yard convergence at any other range you set the target to.

If you spawn a 109 on a N runway with .target 1 you will see the wingspan on the target.

by using this method, I have gotten a ball park of around 240 mils=300 yrds for the wingspan of a bf 109.......which is good because my old eyes cant see 40mils that well :-)... I don't zoom in.

your points are valid crabby but I need to learn the range at which I should be firing . having  the sight for off line drones should help build that sight picture. from there I can go back to my  tried and true boresight to calculate  lead

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
I don't see how 40 mils at 250 yards equals 240 mils at 300 yards.  :headscratch:  I admit I'm not good at math.

My point with the target is that the 109 wingspan is about halfway between the first and second circle. When you shoot the target at any range and look at the hit pattern you want to be inside that 30 ft circle between the 20 and the 40 ft circle.

I suggest mapping a button to zoom if you haven't already and use it to aid your eyesight. No zoom is not normal vision. Normal vision is zoomed in but that makes the view too narrow for SA. The amount you need to zoom for normal vision depends on your monitor size and distance from the monitor.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
by using this method, I have gotten a ball park of around 240 mils=300 yrds for the wingspan of a bf 109.......which is good because my old eyes cant see 40mils that well :-)... I don't zoom in.

your points are valid crabby but I need to learn the range at which I should be firing . having  the sight for off line drones should help build that sight picture. from there I can go back to my  tried and true boresight to calculate  lead

Since you don't zoom in, are you building a ring and dot gunsight with a 40Mil ring? When you say bore sight, you mean a dot then?

By the way, speeds of the drones offline using the lead computing gunsight are for a 65mph main ring, or 70Mil.

100mph principle.

For a 100Mil main ring gunsight.

At 1000ft(333yds), 50cal\Hisso 20mm round takes 1\3 sec to reach 1000ft. A con 1000ft in front of you, traveling left to right at 100mph, while looking through your gunsight, will travel 50Mil of your 100Mil main ring in 1\3 sec. 50Mil is 1radius of the 100Mil main ring. For every additional 100mph the con is traveling at, hold lead by an additional 50Mil or 1radius of the 100Mil main ring. This holds true for angles off your line of travel from 45-90 degrees while traveling away or across your line of travel.

Example - con traveling at 300mph, hold lead with 3 50Mil radii.

In our game a simple rule of thumb for this, at 300yds or less, lead with the windscreen uprights. Just remember, some fighters have their gunsight off set to the right. So using the left hand side of the windscreen, wait until they just begin to clear the upright.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline duie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 08:08:30 PM »
I don't see how 40 mils at 250 yards equals 240 mils at 300 yards.  :headscratch:  I admit I'm not good at math.

My point with the target is that the 109 wingspan is about halfway between the first and second circle. When you shoot the target at any range and look at the hit pattern you want to be inside that 30 ft circle between the 20 and the 40 ft circle.

I suggest mapping a button to zoom if you haven't already and use it to aid your eyesight. No zoom is not normal vision. Normal vision is zoomed in but that makes the view too narrow for SA. The amount you need to zoom for normal vision depends on your monitor size and distance from the monitor.

by doing as you suggested (bf109 w/ target set to  1)and a  piece of tape to keep the reference, I was able to set the gun sight  so the wingspan matched  that of the circle. which was 240 mils. I then flew around   following  a drone bf109 to make sure and sure enough it fit around 300yards

bore sight- I've used a bore sight for these types of games all the way back  to AW1 hence I have a pretty good idea where the lead is  w/ them. While your method is a heck of a lot more accurate , it boils down to what you are  used to and what works for the person. By getting a sight picture on distance, I am able to get a general idea where I should aim. The counters are good but not as good as just being able to see it.

Lastly , thank you all for taking  the time to help. I have been able to hit  a lot more than I have been in off line practice. Now its just a mater of practice, practice, and maybe more practice until it become second nature