Author Topic: WHHHAAAAAH!!!  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: WHHHAAAAAH!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »
Never EVER publicly use what you used as the title of this thread... unless your 12 or less.  Then it's ok.  :old:
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 04:10:42 AM »
From what I've read in old posts this actually worked in an early version of Aces High.
Now the only advantage to trimming up is keeping a scaled stick closer to center for finer input.

If it did, it was in beta before I really started to play AH.  I know it was a common thing to do in IL2, it worked in that game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
Wait, what?  You mean being a better cartoon pilot will net you 40mph faster on a deck merge?

Someone is getting kicked from the muppets as soon as i figure who didn't tell me about this..

So, to be clear, you are not just implying that cheating occurred... you are flat out stating it, yes?
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:06 AM »
If it did, it was in beta before I really started to play AH.  I know it was a common thing to do in IL2, it worked in that game.

ack-ack

yes it did. torque was also not modeled as strong in IL2..... at least it wasn't in the early patches... I know things have changed with the later 4.1x patches (ie post-IL2 1946).

Never EVER publicly use what you used as the title of this thread... unless your 12 or less.  Then it's ok.  :old:

OH I completely agree.... but it served its purpose.... just not the ones you think.  :lol

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
Chopping throttle and using some slip will be just as effective in shedding E to force the over shoot, more effective than shutting down the engine and then turning it back on.  It is also a desperation move.

Like I said, it's just another myth that only really works in the eye of the beholder.

ack-ack

QFT.  My Mk. VIII loves those that willingly shut off their own engine. :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
I'm just awaiting the explanation on cartoon plane skills and NOT "less flattering conclusions" net 40mph faster on a deck merge.. lmao

Please directly state what you are implying, Kappa.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »
You " -The Damned- " guys need to quit pulling my squaddies INto your purse fights with the enemy (everyone that's not us) I almost feel left out  :devil  /sarc off

I love watching this though...the dogfighter in me wishes I could play more...but alas...FSO and a hour or two on the weekends is all I have time for...hurts my soul....

See y'all " -The Damned- " guys frame 1  :salute ...also I was never let on to why the ( - ) I'm feeling left out again... :bolt:

Ask Dodger.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
Chopping throttle and using some slip will be just as effective in shedding E to force the over shoot, more effective than shutting down the engine and then turning it back on.  It is also a desperation move.

When AH first came out and until it was fixed (around 2001 or so) it was used a lot because there was no penalty to doing it but that was ceased to be when the engine start up was changed to stop such gamey tactics.  Like I said, it's just another myth that only really works in the eye of the beholder.

ack-ack

It isn't about E-shedding.  It is about elimination of torque for a rope.
”KILLER V”

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »

If that's his reason, decreasing throttle achieves the same thing without the penalty of the 1-2 second engine start up delay.  Quite frankly, IMO it's rather stupid to turn off your engine if you're trying to rope someone.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »
If that's his reason, decreasing throttle achieves the same thing without the penalty of the 1-2 second engine start up delay.  Quite frankly, IMO it's rather stupid to turn off your engine if you're trying to rope someone.

ack-ack

According to him he uses it to do a hammerhead easily cause there's virtually no torque, and that doing an actual hammerhead in AH is impossible with the torque modeling here while the engine is on.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
ki43's wep is only 1 additional 3 legged not very interested lethargic hamster.. ;p

:headscratch:

Why all the dancing around?   

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

I agree almost verbatem with what AKAK stated about this.

This one time at band camp. I tried calibrating throttle so a tiny push back would kill all throttle but not the engine. Ohh yeahh, that didn't work either.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
According to him he uses it to do a hammerhead easily cause there's virtually no torque, and that doing an actual hammerhead in AH is impossible with the torque modeling here while the engine is on.

^^^^^^^^
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
I agree almost verbatem with what AKAK stated about this.

This one time at band camp. I tried calibrating throttle so a tiny push back would kill all throttle but not the engine. Ohh yeahh, that didn't work either.

Don't shoot the messenger.   I am merely stating the theory and how it is used by the principal being discussed.   He thinks it works.   I see no hard data either way.
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
If that's his reason, decreasing throttle achieves the same thing without the penalty of the 1-2 second engine start up delay.  Quite frankly, IMO it's rather stupid to turn off your engine if you're trying to rope someone.

ack-ack

An idle engine still produces torque and thrust.

I have seen no proof of the efficacy or lack thereof in regard to shutting off the engine in the vertical to facilitate a hammerhead.  If he thinks it works, so be it.   I have no dog in this fight.

That said, a startup penalty is gamey in and of itself.   With a windmilling prop reintroduction of fuel/spark results in an immediate relight in every recip I have ever flown.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:18:50 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”