Author Topic: Who else like's the Yak .  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Who else like's the Yak .
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »
I find out planes like the Spitfire IX and VIII are far more difficult to fly and fight against than the Yak-3 or any other Yak variant.

ack-ack

One of the worst drubbings I've ever had in a dueling match was in a dissimilar plane bracket Ink set up for the DFC a while back.  I took the Yak3 because it was new and I thought it had a decent chance against the inevitable Spit8/16 opponents.  MickyD owned me in a Spit8.  Not even close.  Pilot ability had something to do with it, but it was pretty clear from that match that the Spit had all the cards in that scenario.   

I've found the Yak3 and the 38's to be similar in that they both do a lot of things well, but nothing really outstanding.  That's a blessing and a curse because it can lead to you getting into situations that you shouldn't have gotten into.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »
That's a blessing and a curse because it can lead to you getting into situations that you shouldn't have gotten into.
SO true just like a minute ago with six on one and me being the one , lol .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
I only started flying it the end of last tour, but I like the 9T.  Good plane to up on defense when ords are down, and you need something maneuverable that can turret a tank, wipe out an M3 in one tap of the trigger, or knock someone's wing off if the opportunity arises.  First time I flew it I killed 2 panzers.  The 9T has also been forcing me to get better at gunnery.  You can't exactly pull the trigger and let someone fly through your bullet stream in that plane.  And while it doesn't carry the ammo load of an IL2 or 410, but it is far more maneuverable than those two. 
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
  The problem I have with the Yak is that odd rotten sneaker/wetdog smell whenever I get near it make me nauseous.

Oh and that strange torque that goes the wrong way too!

:salute

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
I find out planes like the Spitfire IX and VIII are far more difficult to fly and fight against than the Yak-3 or any other Yak variant.

ack-ack

Got any tips for a 38 to deal with a yak?  If I can get on their 6, I can deal with them but getting to their 6 is the hard part for me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »
Got any tips for a 38 to deal with a yak?  If I can get on their 6, I can deal with them but getting to their 6 is the hard part for me.

High looping rolls against their torque.

They can turn, but just not really good enough. They can't out roll a 109, and they are sluggish at really slow speeds. I always love when yaks try to turn fight because they just can't quite roll around well enough for the 109 and better turning planes.

These are reasons why I don't fly it.

A 1v1 with a P51D is probably the best match up for it.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »
Yaks seem to be where the "bug" in tators comes from...

Definitely have more yaks take a tator and get only oil leak then any other fighter in game.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »

Definitely have more yaks take a tator and get only oil leak then any other fighter in game.

I hit a Yak-T with a 37mm AA yesterday and he got an oil leak from it :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Again, I just find it a really interesting part of the game, a plane that was given SO much attention and praise, that has fallen from common use, unlike the first week or so it was around.  I wish Lusche could chart it's use that first week or two, and compare it say to the last couple weeks.    
I do not know in which arena you fly in and at what time, but I see a lot of Yak3s. People stopped complaining about them in the forums because it is pointless to continue to do so without documentations - and so few of those exist, especially in a language that does not include some extra funky-looking letters and letters that are used wrong...  ;)

The other reason for the lack of complaints is that like the LA7, there are very few good sticks that fly them. The vast majority of Yak3s that I meet are not flown very well, which is fortunate for the rest of us.

The Yaks have a funky damage modeling, especially the Yak3. Most players think it is due to their small size and the way damage is assigned to specific parts by the game. I had Yaks survive a full volley of 4 hispanos from nose to tail and come out with a fuel leak. There are some flukes like that with any plane due to some randomization I guess, but it is much more common in the Yak3s.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
Honestly I don't know how tough they were in combat, if they historically weren't as tough as Hellcats, then the damage model is wrong....but like a said, I don't know a lot about yaks, never really wanted to.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
It's fun hitting bombers out to almost D2.5 with the yak 9t.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,204187.msg4870411.html#msg4870411

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »

Most of the time's I got killed was because of a oil leak . Then it's no way to see your sites .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »
They can turn, but just not really good enough. They can't out roll a 109, and they are sluggish at really slow speeds. I always love when yaks try to turn fight because they just can't quite roll around well enough for the 109 and better turning planes.

I noticed when the Yak3 gets very slow it doesn't seem to accelerate as well as the 109s, Spits or LA's. The planes mentioned seem to get their nose up a lot easier at stall speed than the Yak3. Just an impression I got. Seems ya have to be careful about what ya get real slow with.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:03:55 PM by pipz »
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
Just to add I think the gun set is pretty decent once ya get your aim down. Usually Russian guns are hard to aim and ya have to get close but when ya hit something they tend to clobber the target. The front view is fantastic with the Gun site well placed. Don't dive the thing past 500 it starts to shed parts! I think It also has decent range for the usual fair in the MA.

Tally Ho!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
the only yak i have trouble with in my stang-d is the yak3 :joystick:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.