Author Topic: "Live from the arenas" on homepage?  (Read 712 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
"Live from the arenas" on homepage?
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
I wonder, would it be at all worth the effort to have the homepage show what's happening in the main arena, to lure in impressionable young noobs?

I'm thinking along the lines of:

"Kill of A by B."
"Kill of X by C."
"CD has unlocked achievement Egon Mayer."
"Z landed 3 kills in a Mosquito of Noobs Of Death."

updating live on the HP.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: "Live from the arenas" on homepage?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
It wouldn't even have to be live. I did something similar with a "news feed" on a web page I built. It pulled lines of text from a a large group of lines I had made up. Looked cool, seemed like the site was "active".

A live feed would only benefit subscribers who are nosy/addicted and want to keep up to date with whats going on in the game.  :D

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
Y called out for picking and running on 200
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:32:33 PM »
Z replayed with "nu-uh"  :neener:

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
Those two are already in the achievements system, man.

:rock
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »
I wonder, would it be at all worth the effort to have the homepage show what's happening in the main arena, to lure in impressionable young noobs?

I'm thinking along the lines of:

"Kill of A by B."
"Kill of X by C."
"CD has unlocked achievement Egon Mayer."
"Z landed 3 kills in a Mosquito of Noobs Of Death."

updating live on the HP.
Not a bad idea.
The AH webpage is not the most flahy page on the net. Looks a bit lowtech compared to the fancy flash webpage of other games. Something like this can make the game look more alive and make potential player want to try it out.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:06:31 AM »
Are you say live feed the "System" text buffer post only?  That would work.  The other text buffer post can be a bit rough at times.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Salutes and landed X kills or damage messages and achievements would be cool on the home page,, country channel typing not so much because which country?  200 also not so much!

Plus 1 tho!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »
throw in a couple of bar graphs (or some other graphical representation) of the % total airfields each country holds on the current map and the % of total players in the arena that each country has.
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »
how about updates (RRS) to mobile devices?  You pick detail levels.  I,e.  tell me when map changes.  Send me notice for start of KOTH, FSO  etc..  When squaddies login. 

Be real neat if you could text chat with players logged on game from your smartphone.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
how about updates (RRS) to mobile devices?  You pick detail levels.  I,e.  tell me when map changes.  Send me notice for start of KOTH, FSO  etc..  When squaddies login. 

Be real neat if you could text chat with players logged on game from your smartphone.

you can, we do it all the time.  ask for their phone numbers.  otherwise it would be a cool way to spam somebody you dont like.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
Some really great suggestions.  Also I with the cellphone thing would be great.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »
Are you say live feed the "System" text buffer post only?  That would work.  The other text buffer post can be a bit rough at times.

Yes, only system/host data, not Ch 200, in all its, erm, glory.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
you can, we do it all the time.  ask for their phone numbers.  otherwise it would be a cool way to spam somebody you dont like.

semp

If  this works for you guys, great.  I think that what I was thinking about was having guys agreeing to be texted while in the game.  (there is going to have to be a player profile/preference page that's says yeah texting me 30 min before KOTH starts is OK, and yes, I am going to have to give HTC my number, and they are going to have to determine that I live in a "textable"  area.  (Can you text people in New Zealand from Texas? I do not know.))

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
It wouldn't even have to be live. I did something similar with a "news feed" on a web page I built. It pulled lines of text from a a large group of lines I had made up. Looked cool, seemed like the site was "active".

A live feed would only benefit subscribers who are nosy/addicted and want to keep up to date with whats going on in the game.  :D

and I am totally ok with that :)