Author Topic: Support Aces High  (Read 9296 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Support Aces High
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »
Much has been said about the decline of the player base in Aces High.  I think most of us can agree that. while nice and possibly overdue, new graphics aren't going to change anything, at least not more than temporarily.

Each of us can cite factors that have caused people to leave; the twelve hour rule, big maps, bases too easy or too hard to take... or overriding external factors; the economy, the aging of our community...  I tend to believe the decline in population has more to do with external factors than gameplay dynamics.  The reason I believe this is that at one point we had Aces High, Warbirds, Fighter Ace and IL2 all with thriving communities of their own.  Now, for the most part, only Aces High remains as the last game standing and the combined population is still in decline.  Certainly there's something much larger at play here than a simple side switching rule (I use that as an example only).

The following except from an interview with Dave Kaemmer of Papyrus Racing Games has stuck with me through the years (for those who aren't aware Papyrus was once the clear leader in racing simulations):

And now, Papyrus is no more, along with Vivendi Universal components Sierra and Impressions Games. Why? Clearly Vivendi felt it needed to undertake a little general housecleaning. But in the specific case of Papyrus, there was quite likely more to the story. Kaemmer has some strong feelings in this regard. "I think there were a number of factors that led to Papyrus' closure. Chief among them is that interest in simulations, a category somewhat different than most games, hasn't grown at the same rate as interest in games in general. Simulations are more difficult to market, since the fundamental enjoyment you get out of them is learning a difficult skill. People buying a toy--which is how people think of computer "games"-- apparently don't expect or want to master a difficult skill."

"The computer game business is really becoming a toy business, especially with the popularity of console gaming. That's not the right market for a simulation. To revisit the golf analogy, it's like trying to sell real golf clubs at a mini-golf pavilion. Certainly you would sell some, but too many of the people coming through to play mini-golf aren't interested in real golf--it's too difficult and time consuming. That's what's happening to simulations, I think. The game industry is saying, 'Look, people aren't buying very many of these golf clubs--can we make a cheaper bag? Plastic instead of leather? Can you make it easier to play golf? It's too hard, plus people have to walk too far.'"

"The real problem is that we're reaching the wrong customers. If Papyrus were to have dumbed down the experience in order to make a console game, they would have had no competitive advantage. There are a zillion driving "games" out there and many of them look really nice since the console budgets allow for a lot of flash. But none of them are true driving simulators, despite what they say. They don't need to be. They are being sold by the licenses. What Papyrus did that really nobody else did was make true simulations--you can really find out what racing is like with a Papyrus simulation. If you can do well in GPL or NR2003, you know how to drive a car at the limit."

Here's a link to the full article:  http://www.gamespot.com/articles/history-of-papyrus-racing-games/1100-6103365/

If you think of this in the context of the recent onslaught of free to play games that so many cite as low fidelity from a simulation standpoint but with astounding graphics it really starts to make sense.

I don't think a ton of advertising by HT is going to make more than a short term difference either under the current business model.  It will simply bring people in only to leave soon after and wouldn't be a good use of capital for HT.  I do think some type of free to play element would help.  The old H2H arenas fostered some new blood, particularly when the F2P players hands were forced when they were taken away.

What the game really needs is the reuniting and support of it's core customer base.  I don't play much anymore but even when I was struggling financially I still sent in my $15/mo. and still do.  If all our old friends returned we'd once again have a thriving community.  If, on the other hand, we leave because the numbers are low or a rule is changed not to our liking the game is doomed to spiral into oblivion and another great aspect of the computer simulation environment will be lost.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Support Aces High
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
You make a good point there. Times have changed quite a bit since AH2 came about. People these days look for relatively easy or free games to play. People don't have the attention span anymore to sit down and put in the time to learn how to be good in a Sim game. They just go with the excuse of "It's too hard" and leave. Look at War Thunder. I think only 2% of their player base plays historical and sim battles, the rest all play Arcade. Why? Because it's easy, matches are short, and it looks pretty.

I agree some kind of F2P aspect of AH2 would be great to give people more of a taste than the 2 week free trial. Anyone who is willing to put forth time to learn this game just doesn't have enough time to decide if it's worth the subscription with just a 2 week free trial.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
Support it how?  I already do, I pay my $14.99 a month and have for over 15 years.   Since HiTech has over the decades made it known that he's the Gaming business expert and no advice is needed, wanted or requested.  Only HiTech knows what the bottom line is and he doesn't share that information with the customers.  At some point he won't be able to afford a new toy and he has wife and kids to support, at that point he will move on, sell or gut the business.  I think the time and money spent to develop pretty water, grass and tress is a waste.   The game is what it is and it's still great and fun to play.  New changes may actually harm the player base as with this tight economy I'm not planing on buying a new gaming machine just to play this game. If as it turned out when the move from AHI to AHII a lot of people had to upgrade their machines to continue playing and that's about the time I noticed the first declines in population.  If HI-tech wanted to do something for the player base, offer an annual subscription $15.00 a month or $120.00 a year paid annually.  You might find that a lot of former players might come back if they had a way to reduce the monthly cost.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »
This is just my opinion,but it seems to me that gaming is going portable with the growing smart phone trend. People can take their games with them now. Top all that with tablets and no one wants to be tied to a pc any more.this is only a part of what's happening imo.
 If you look at sale trends, tablets and portable type pc's are out selling desktops. Unfortunately we can't play AH on a tablet. ( I'm not carrying a stick and throttle around everywhere!) It would be nice but this is not a portable game. I think it will never be one at that.  Just my 4 cents worth.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
As a point of reference I was a long time AW player and made the migration from AW to AH, cant single it down to one reason, but I haven't been able to stick to AH, on and off over the years.

I will say I just recently signed back on and bought into the pay in advance to get a months free so I'm back at least for awhile.  61 years old so I'm no kid.  

Last night I was teaching my 25 year old how to play.  When we got on radar was up so we choose a base to defend, then we chose a base to attack.  Then dar went down, we could see blinking bases but couldn't tell where a fight really was.  The attack flights comprised of flying for 10-12 minutes then finding no one left at the base. The next couple attack flights comprised of basically the same thing although we did find a few small fights.  

Sorry I know I don't know the routine yet but it was pretty boring.  To put it bluntly.  I couldn't help but think about these new player threads and think to myself if I were a completely new player why would I come back.  Not sure what I'm trying to say here but one thing, we both felt the map was to big.

To much flying for altitude and to little action. If you don't fly for altitude you get jumped by someone who does.  Too many players spread out all over the place. Please don't rip me I'm just trying to relay an AH experience from our eyes that I think fits in with the recent gameplay threads.

Ultimately we ended up switching to Battlefield 4, Knives and Pistols only, Locker, it was a blast, and if you think that doesn't take a degree of skill to survive and come out with decent scores your wrong.  

Is the moral of the story speed up the gameplay or get more into the gameplay, condense the gameplay, not sure just my 2 cents.

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
As a point of reference I was a long time AW player and made the migration from AW to AH, cant single it down to one reason, but I haven't been able to stick to AH, on and off over the years.

I will say I just recently signed back on and bought into the pay in advance to get a months free so I'm back at least for awhile.  61 years old so I'm no kid.  

Last night I was teaching my 25 year old how to play.  When we got on radar was up so we choose a base to defend, then we chose a base to attack.  Then dar went down, we could see blinking bases but couldn't tell where a fight really was.  The attack flights comprised of flying for 10-12 minutes then finding no one left at the base. The next couple attack flights comprised of basically the same thing although we did find a few small fights.  

Sorry I know I don't know the routine yet but it was pretty boring.  To put it bluntly.  I couldn't help but think about these new player threads and think to myself if I were a completely new player why would I come back.  Not sure what I'm trying to say here but one thing, we both felt the map was to big.

To much flying for altitude and to little action. If you don't fly for altitude you get jumped by someone who does.  Too many players spread out all over the place. Please don't rip me I'm just trying to relay an AH experience from our eyes that I think fits in with the recent gameplay threads.

Ultimately we ended up switching to Battlefield 4, Knives and Pistols only, Locker, it was a blast, and if you think that doesn't take a degree of skill to survive and come out with decent scores your wrong.  

Is the moral of the story speed up the gameplay or get more into the gameplay, condense the gameplay, not sure just my 2 cents.

Pefectly stated. - 'Condense the gameplay.'

Oh and...Fly Aces High!

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
The computer game business is really becoming a toy business

I believe this to be true for any computer game. In my childhood we climbed trees, hid behind rocks, ran for shelter, shot the huns or caught robbers just like our heroes on TV or Commando comics. Simulator games gave an opportunity to take the playing one step further towards the real thing in a cost effective and adult acceptable way. Who cares if there's a learning curve? It still enables us to be aerial or racing heroes, no matter what our physical or economical limitations may be. Maybe next time I'd be the one shouting ‘Take that, squarehead!’...

As you know today's children programs are merely a cartoon version of TV shop! Cards, figurines, gameboards, table arenas, spinners... And if you can't beat your opponent with your skills, simply ask mom or dad buy you the superpower gear. No need for learning anything, just play. When you get bored, there's a new cartoon series showing you a truckload of new items to buy and play with.

A man can reveal his inner Tarzan, Batman or Battler Britton at any age without having to feel ashamed. Somehow I don't believe being a Pokemon figure would be as widely accepted after kindergarten. Except for luscious young women in minimalistic Pikachu outfits. But that's an entirely different playground.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
AH does not listen to the customer for the most part. They did some surveys on which plane to add, which was great. Outside of that I do not see or have the thought that they give the first crud what their customers think about the experience.

Over the years I've read great ideas on how to acclimate new players to the rigors of ACM...cricket chirps. How to handle large maps, nothing. In fact, any idea...they simple do not care. The ONLY response we get is either Skuzzy pulling out the ban hammer for the whole 1st Amendment thing, or the occasional pictures of the new graphics. The 12-hour rule alone was an eye opening change to both experience and read on the board. The only activity I see...do we really think eye candy will turn it around?

To the point of a previous post this this thread around dar bar and no fights....with the numbers so low even when I have 20-30 minutes for a single sortie I don't take it. Chances are really good the only fight I'm going to find is a capped base with the vulch light on and I either spend 20+ minutes getting vulched, or I need to up from an adjacent based, spend 10-15 minutes of flight time just to get to the fight. If I have an hour or two, sure, I'll do that. When I don't have that kind of time I don't even bother logging in.

So many small and yet functional ideas from players who have flown this and other games for years and years....AH has no interest in even considering.

And within this reality of not caring what the customer thinks the hardcore among us invariable note we should simple be quiet, stop complaining and soldier on. For almost a year I've planned to add over 100 JROTC cadets to the ranks of AH, teach them basic ACM though more importantly leadership, strategic thinking, etc via a live gaming experience that they would love. As struggled as this environment is we moved onto a space lab instead.

I'm sad all around but....

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »
I have been supporting HTC since 2000, and will continue until they close the doors most likely, when ever that may be.

I agree that this is a nitch market game. I also agree that it doesn't translate to "mobile" gaming as well, However, I still believe that it can continue and maybe even grow, but there has got to be a lot done.

The games that thrive at this point are those with quick action. My son "the gamer" can't be bothered by this game only due to the time it takes to find a fight. The 12 hour rule needs to be relaxed, and the loss of dar issue needs to be addressed. These two things alone slow the action more than anything else.

The learning curve issue. Do you know why it's such an issue? Because the game is setup and played to make it very easy to hide/runaway from combat..... and this in a combat simulation game  :rolleyes: Forcing the action to happen quicker will force players to fight. If you fight one fight a night you don't learn much. If your forced to fight 20 fights a night I think your going to learn a lot faster. Smaller maps with closer bases can accomplish this. Again, quicker action.

Prettier graphics. Sure this is going to help bring in new players..... as long as HTC lets the world know it has a new release. If they don't, nothing will change. They have begun a "word of mouth" campaign using social media. When was the last announcement on "facebook", October 9th.  Hell I'm an old guy with mostly family following and I post more often than that! As a company that deals WITH their customers, HTC is top notch. I called once with a question about my account and Dale answered the phone (He said everyone else had gone out for pizza  :D ), but as a company that is looking to expand it's player base..... you need a map and a magic compass to find any info on them.

I don't know how much longer until the new update comes out, tho I expect it is still months away, they should be posting everyday if not a couple times a day. It only takes a few seconds. A quick screen capture over a town in the update, post. a screen capture of a GV rolling through the new countryside, post. And so on and so on. Even if you post a dozen shots of GVs in a week people will hunt for anything that is in the background, generating "buzz" about the update. The more "buzz" the more likely search engines will pick up the info and get it out there. If you post daily, imagine the "buzz" you could build in a couple of months.... about the time of a possible new release maybe  :devil

Typing "WWII flight sims" in Google doesn't bring up Aces High on the first page. It was on the second page, but how many people bother looking at a second page? HTC needs a PR person/group. They need to get info out there NOW to get things rolling for LATER. Flight/Combat sims are a smaller nitch market, but even  then, why is HTC so low on google? Not enough buzz! Using social media to build buzz only works if you post, wheres the posts?

Yes I support HTC, for years and years, and I hope to support them for many years to come, but if they continue to turn a blind eye to the ever changing dynamics of the game and ever changing dynamics of the gamers world they will end up on the losing end as the game world rolls on by.    

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
Since HiTech has over the decades made it known that he's the Gaming business expert and no advice is needed, wanted or requested.

Not true.

New planes/gv's are the result of player polls.

Enlarged towns and the maproom flag were player suggestions, as were field 88's.

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
This is the best game ever.  And the closest game to a realistic flight model I've ever played.  I laugh at all the whining and crying about trivial things on this forum.  Merry Christmas everyone!
Fight's on!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
This is the best game ever.  And the closest game to a realistic flight model I've ever played.  I laugh at all the whining and crying about trivial things on this forum.  Merry Christmas everyone!

I love your enthusiam. You've been around since 2012? Back in the day....you have no idea though keep up the good cheer. There is a reason those who have been around a long time are so very concerned.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
I will continue to support this game and will never stop!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
Isn't it said that the adjustments made at halftime by the better coaches are what win the game? these adjustments seem like those that keep players not attract players, relatively minor by comparison, big to existing players but which one is going to get anyone's attn. outside the game.  

The world of multiplayer gaming is making better halftime adjustments and its grown by leaps and bounds, hasn't HT said he wants to remain a small company, there is a danger alone in that line of thinking

Learning curve bah, if you really like a game you'll do what's necessary to win and I don't mean buying gadgets, I mean putting in the time, everyone wants to win if they like a game.

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Not true.

New planes/gv's are the result of player polls.

Enlarged towns and the maproom flag were player suggestions, as were field 88's.

Any of the hundreds of customer suggestions to increase player base / business have basically gone ignored.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes