Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
gives an idea of the scale of some of the ships https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRb3G5aLjDM&feature=youtu.be
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 05:43:54 AM »

I usually buy my games only when they are on a sale, and did so with Elite as well. You could also just buy the basic Elite first to get a taste, and only upgrade to the Horizons expansion if you like what you see. Oh, and if you buy on steam, you always have the option of getting a refund if you haven't played more than two hours.

That being said, E:D certainly ain't for everyone ;)
Thanks for the tips.
I think I will get into Dwarf Fortress instead. This game is totaly crazy  (and free) :rolleyes:
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »
I wanted to like Star Citizen.  I really did, but the way the development has been going, I have given up on it.

They have burned way too much cash for what they have released, so far.  Something is not right.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »
They have burned way too much cash for what they have released, so far.

One has to admire that business model, though  :)
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
Not sure "admire" is the right word.  I am more in awe of the fact so many people have poured that much money into it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
Not sure "admire" is the right word.  I am more in awe of the fact so many people have poured that much money into it.

The number of people that gave money didn't really surprise me.  The amounts some of them gave based on concept art astonishes me and makes me suspect something bordering on mental illness.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »

Sounds like Roger works for the makers of Star Citizen.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »

Maybe AH can get a much bigger development team by selling personal plane skins, fancy goggles for your pilot and other vanity stuff for $1,000 a piece. There might still be a few potential whales left in AH   :D

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
If you kept up with the development, you'd have no worries about the money being wasted.  They're building two AAA games from nothing, no studio, no assets, just a Crytek license.  They release a constant stream of videos showing what they're doing and how. 

And to the people who say its all just smoke and mirrors and they prey on ignorant people who buy jpegs of pretend ships, the way I know that is wrong is how time after time those jpegs have turned into actual ships in game that do what they're supposed to do based on the behind the scenes they've given us during its development.  And not just ships, but the characters themselves, the clothes and armor, the gameplay loops, the planets and asteroids and the entire solar system they have in place right now.

The Destiny franchise spent $500 million to culminate in a crap game, and they had a massive development studio in place when they started it.  CIG had no development studio, no assets to pull from, and just the barest skeleton of a game engine and that couldn't really do multiplayer or large environments and 5 employees.  So far they've raised 2/5ths of what Destiny used, and used that to build a gaming studio with 500 employees, from nothing, and a revolutionary game engine that will be talked about for decades to come.  And an Alpha that is actually pulling off what they said they were going to pull off.

You can't even say its taking longer than most people expected.  CIG has told us it was going to take this long since 2015, and the vast majority of people that have backed the game did so after 2015.  The people who backed early implicitly agreed to expand the scope after hitting stretch goal after stretch goal, and voting on the web site when asked.  Very few people who have given CIG money have any room to complain about the timeframe for the development.  We knew, we agreed, and CIG is kicking bellybutton as evidenced by what you can see by playing the Alpha today.

CIG is not faultless, no one is.  But they're a model of open development.  Anyone who has doubts about what they're doing has only to do research to put those doubts to rest.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:58:04 AM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
You are going to get that, regardless.  Missing Worlds Media get's the same type of flak as well.

The underlying issue is; some folks seem to think it only takes a few taps of a keyboard, few clicks of the mouse, a 5 minute wait then BAM, game completed as promised. :bhead
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
I have kept up with the development.  I was an early subscriber to the mailing list.  I know what they have produced.  I also know a thing or two about game development.

The time is not bothering me one bit.  The wandering development line has been puzzling, to say the least. 

The amount of money they burned through does not match what they have been showing.  I can speculate as to why, but there is no point, at this juncture.

If they finish it then I'll read the reviews.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 03:01:54 PM »
The only thing they really haven't shown is Squadron 42 (the single player game), a deliberate decision because they don't want it spoiled.  We should get a roadmap to release for it some time this month though.  To date we've been led to believe it'll be out late 2019.

We don't know how much money they've burned.  How can you say how much of the 200 Million they've raised is spent vs still in their bank account?  No one but CIG knows this information.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »
To clarify, I wasn't talking about anyone here.  But I'm hopeful that you understand what I was getting at. :)

As for 200M, if what I've gathered is within "ball park", that really isn't all that much when it comes to creating an MMO.  They are insanely expensive to do. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »
The only thing they really haven't shown is Squadron 42 (the single player game), a deliberate decision because they don't want it spoiled.  We should get a roadmap to release for it some time this month though.  To date we've been led to believe it'll be out late 2019.

We don't know how much money they've burned.  How can you say how much of the 200 Million they've raised is spent vs still in their bank account?  No one but CIG knows this information.

They keep coming back for more money. That is the best indicator of how much they have burned through, unless they are just stuffing the cash into their pockets and pretending they need it.  I prefer not to think that is happening.

It does not take a forensic accountant to figure out how much money they have burned through.  Try and get money from an investor without showing what you have done and where you are gong to spend it.

Volron, it actually costs more to make a single player game than an MMO.  Quite frankly, the cost difference is not that far apart.  There are things you have to do in a single player game you do not need in the MMO, and vice versa.

You guys do not need to get defensive about it.  When the game is finally completed, then we can talk, without speculation.  I have no horse in this race so it does not matter to me. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:59:08 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »
I am not willing to shell out 60$ on a game where judging from the last 50 games I tried, will have 90% chance that I will uninstall after 3 hours of playing.

I usually buy my games only when they are on a sale, and did so with Elite as well.

FYI, in the Frontier Developments store, the 'Commander Deluxe Edition" of E:D is currently on sale for $14.40, just E:D without "horizons" goes for $7.60