Author Topic: Patriots caught cheating again?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
Re: Patriots caught cheating again?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
How did they cheat? I saw the referee Wiping the football off a bit because it was raining. Is that cheating?

I sure don't claim to be an expert at NFL Football and I didn't observe the evidence.  If the team is guilty of cheating, then there should be consequences.  But I haven't heard if all the footballs were checked.  Was there a check of all the game balls?  Don't the referees place the footballs on the scrimmage line for every down.  I see the ball tossed to a referee after every play (unless it's a football kept by the player after a touchdown).  Are the referees trained to detect an under inflated football?  2 lbs per square inch is a lot.

If there was a question with the footballs, why didn't it get addressed during the game?  Especially if a pass was intercepted and brought to the attention of the officials.  How often are the footballs weighed?  Not just for last weeks game, but for all games.  If there happen to be any referees on the boards, I would love to hear some of these answered.  (And not just the ones who stayed at a Holiday Inn last week either.)

IMO, there are too many unanswered questions.
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
I sure don't claim to be an expert at NFL Football and I didn't observe the evidence.  If the team is guilty of cheating, then there should be consequences.  But I haven't heard if all the footballs were checked.  Was there a check of all the game balls?  Don't the referees place the footballs on the scrimmage line for every down.  I see the ball tossed to a referee after every play (unless it's a football kept by the player after a touchdown).  Are the referees trained to detect an under inflated football?  2 lbs per square inch is a lot.

If there was a question with the footballs, why didn't it get addressed during the game?  Especially if a pass was intercepted and brought to the attention of the officials.  How often are the footballs weighed?  Not just for last weeks game, but for all games.  If there happen to be any referees on the boards, I would love to hear some of these answered.  (And not just the ones who stayed at a Holiday Inn last week either.)

IMO, there are too many unanswered questions.
it was partly addressed during the game
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
There is a consequence. $25000 fine. That should be per ball. Loss of draft pick. And if it was directed by anyone, suspension for them.
As a Pats fan I am disgusted that they did it, whomever did it. Maybe they have a faulty gauge. I seriously doubt it. But now you have the Ravens claiming they thiught this during thier game for the kicking balls. Which of course the league has responsibility for, not the team. Nice try.
And worse yet, they never once had a question as to the outcome of the game. Add this onto the last one, recording practices I think, and Shula is right-Belicheat. Really annoying stuff.
But they aren't my heroes. And how many of you have popped out to your car while on the clock at work? Snagged a pen or two from the office? Surfed Amazon at your desk? Where do we draw the line on work related behavior? :)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »
Its the American way and fitting for the All American team to do so.

We cheated the natives out of 3/4'th of a continent for like four barrels of whiskey. We cheated the French out of a huge chunk of land at about 2 cents an acre. I dont know how we got Alaska but Im sure we scammed someone.

Boolah for Belichick. I wish the Bears had him.

Rich, that is the most ridiculous statement yet. Pulease...!
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
The 12th ball that had full air volume was the ball the kicker used.

Makes sense....why have an underinflated ball to kick with.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 07:11:50 PM »
Even though with the under-inflated balls had the score at 17-7.   But after they were inflated properly, the score went a further 28-0 to the Patriots.   

Mind you some of the Colts balls were under inflated.    I am not even a Patriots fan, but this really is much ado about nothing.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
One thing that does merit comment is the temperature drop during the game.  Another thought would be the temperature at the time when the balls were checked by the officials.  Two very important factors to consider.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »
One thing that does merit comment is the temperature drop during the game.  Another thought would be the temperature at the time when the balls were checked by the officials.  Two very important factors to consider.

I believe that this is the crux of it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »
The sad outcome will be that the Patriots will always be branded as cheats.  I'm just happy to say that I'm more of a baseball fan and can't wait till spring!  Go Sox! :cheers:
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
Bought from the Russians in 1867 for 7.2 million bucks (see 'Seward's Folly'). Did you know that Spain sent several expeditions there and created some settlements?

I read somewhere that the Russians wanted the U.S. to buy Alaska at pretty much any price since they were broke.  they also wanted us to have it to keep the English from getting it.  At the time, they were afraid they were about to go to war with England, and didnt want the English armies in Canada to be any closer to Russia.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »

that's a fair point.  I'm not a pats fan by any means and this SB is a 'commercial bowl' for me. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
The 12th ball that had full air volume was the ball the kicker used.

Makes sense....why have an underinflated ball to kick with.

The balls for the kicking game are controlled by the refs/league Whether or not that includes kickoffs, I cannot say.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
The Pats as an organization have a ethics problem. They want to win at any cost. This is not exclusive to them though these types of allegations are very rare. And they follow the Pats.

The point that they thumped the Colts is irrelevant. They didn't know the outcome of the game before it started, and they cheated to give them an advantage. For all they knew the game was going down to the wire and this is what they thought would tilt it in their favor.

The league will never DQ them.

This Super Bowl is going to be about as rough as when the League decided they wanted Jerome Bettis to go out with a win. The officiating in that game was so pathetic that even John Madden was talking about it as the color commentator. This is ultimately why I follow UFC. By and large, either you tap the guy out or you don't.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »
Nice of you to pass judgement on them despite the fact no official decision or results of the investigation have been released by the NFL.  Purely "unnamed sources".
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
The Pats as an organization have a ethics problem. They want to win at any cost. This is not exclusive to them though these types of allegations are very rare. And they follow the Pats.

The point that they thumped the Colts is irrelevant. They didn't know the outcome of the game before it started, and they cheated to give them an advantage. For all they knew the game was going down to the wire and this is what they thought would tilt it in their favor.

The league will never DQ them.

This Super Bowl is going to be about as rough as when the League decided they wanted Jerome Bettis to go out with a win. The officiating in that game was so pathetic that even John Madden was talking about it as the color commentator. This is ultimately why I follow UFC. By and large, either you tap the guy out or you don't.

Keep swinging slugger.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC