Author Topic: with the new pics of WBIII out...  (Read 1433 times)

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
with the new pics of WBIII out...
« on: June 25, 2000, 11:14:00 AM »
...HTC is really under pressure.
i dont fear WBIII.
but i fear the posibillity of WB3 to built
in new 3d modelles MUCH faster now.

they'll overun us AH fans with lot's of new
aircrafts/vehicles/ground objekts/ships.

that makes me worried.....

------------------

"Die Ta 152 war meine Überlebensversicherung in den letzten Tagen des Krieges" OFw Willi Reschke, Ritterkreuzträger, 38 Abschüsse

[This message has been edited by HABICHT (edited 06-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by HABICHT (edited 06-25-2000).]

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
Sooo where is the link to check those pics?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »
Aces High latest 3d models are better
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2000, 11:53:00 AM »
In looking at the pics, I don't see where they are better than what we have had all along.
The real kicker will be the ammount of customer support, and updating that goes on.  I think we can look at the track record of HTC's frequent updates (2 major updates, with bug fixes following in very short order) against one change in the way damage is alocated with bugs that persist for months and even more than a year in at least one case (stuck bombs).
I don't think HTC has anything to 'fear' from IEN and WBIII.  Even if WBIII is the wonder game of the future, able to cure cancer, end governmental oppression, feed the world's starving, and put an absolute end to warts. (After more than a year of hype, it just might.   ) HTC's continued dedication to the customer, and not the customer's wallet will keep them on top.

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2000, 12:22:00 PM »

but i fear the posibillity of WB3 to built
in new 3d modelles MUCH faster now.
they'll overun us AH fans with lot's of new
aircrafts/vehicles/ground objekts/ships.

What makes you think HTC are slower at making 3d models?

Besides, you still have to do the FM, DM and all that stuff too to make the pretty model fly.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
Not to mention HS being publicly annoyed with iEN, whats to stop him packing up and leaving once the first version of WBIII is out the door because he's fed up with beurocracy. Whats happens to the update speed when another team hasto be brought in and then decifer his 'legacy' code the way he say's he had to with the ICI teams code which he has used as an excuse as to why development of WBII was so slow.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
They link I found is off of Dogfighter.com. ( A webpage you should visit regular)

http://www.iencentral.com/warbirds/connews_wed.html

Not sure if these are the same pictures your seeing, but I still missed your point.

The P51 looks, um, I don't know. Not real good.

Terrian looks nice.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
?
I saw nothing there near as good as the post beta AH art. The 51D is not as good as our beta one. Do they have trouble with cam patterns....
Nothing there looks remotly like the "screen shots" that were circulated several months ago but seemed to be in tool model shots to me.
If I was them I would block access to this site so people cant compare.......

[This message has been edited by Pongo (edited 06-25-2000).]

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2000, 03:05:00 PM »
Guys, from what I've read, WBIII is slated to be out late in 2000, maybe November/December.
By that time, I can only imagine how many planes and vehicles HTC will have added.  By then, I doubt the larger planeset of WB will be an issue anymore.  We got 4 planes in 1 week here, with another 2 supposed to be out soon. (88 and Lanc)  I feel that by the time WBIII is out, AH will be superior in most ways to it.  In November they'll have the same Warbirds....just with better graphics and effects.  Thats what you see today...50-some planes with little strat, but it will have better graphics, and a 50-meg download to top it off. (guestimate here, people)  With the recent release of the mission editor, and the soon-to-be-released terrain editor, AH will have moved another large step ahead of WB.

People think that now that screenshots with terrain are released of WBIII, it will be out  soon, but I think that's an illusion.  I guess only time will tell.

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
AHHHHMMM!!

The pics you are seeing are most likely on a highend Apple G4.  WHY you may ask is the important..SIMPLE  In the IBM world it takes ALOOT more HORSEPOWER to match a G4.  Read a article about G4 vs the Athelon.   Had a 400Mhz G4 against a Athelon 1000....the G4 BLEW it away on every rating.

What does this all mean??  SImple, the IBM version wont be as impressive as the APple.  AH fans DONT worry.

GOrf OUT

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2000, 05:49:00 PM »
the IBM version wont be as impressive as the APple
====
Jeepers, I never thought of it that way.
After all these years WBs is going to be the premier MAC sim!

WBs3 will be a very interesting experience for me, but after all is said and done, it will take Jesus walking on water in 2000 to get me paying $200 a month when Im STILL trying to become even HALFWAY decent in AH for $30 a month.

Still, I dont discount that as a possibility (Jesus, that is).

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

edog

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2000, 06:13:00 PM »

The pics you are seeing are most likely on a highend Apple G4.........

What does this all mean?? SImple, the IBM version wont be as impressive as the APple. AH fans DONT worry.

No, thats not correct. Whether one runs WB III on a PC or an Apple certainly won't make a whit of difference in terms of how the planes look and fly.  The particular video card one uses will make some difference, but many of them run on both types of boxes.  The particular horsepower of the box you are using, of course, will make a difference in terms of fps.  By the way, the G4/400 that was used at that con ran the demo noticeably slower than the boxes running win or linux.  The code was not optimized yet, so they say, but I wouldn't look for real big differences in framerates on comparable machines (whatever that means) unless they specifically code an altivec-enhanced  version for the mac.  I sort of doubt they will do this (although I hoep for it, as I'm on  a mac)  

edog

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2000, 07:14:00 PM »
I must say, those pics are nowhere near as nice as what we have here, and what terrain is that... Mars?

T

edog

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2000, 08:27:00 PM »

what terrain is that... Mars?

Lets look for water  

Apparently its Grand Canyon terrain, without any objects (trees, etc)

edog

chisel

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2000, 11:28:00 PM »
Sure are a defensive bunch

------------------
Jumpin Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows a burrow owl... lives... in a hole... in the ground!