Author Topic: Your Best Tip on Getting Better  (Read 7663 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Your Best Tip on Getting Better
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »
"If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If determine to learn, no one can stop you." (Citation needed)

Best advice I can give.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »
Example. You without the knowledge of better angle shots vs you with the knowledge of better angle shots.

Are you telling me that if 2 people have the exact knowledge of aim the one who sets up better (high percentage) shots isn't going to do better?

I understand what you saying about people like Hoagi. I acknowledge there are people with zero knowledge of anything but flying directly at a red guy and running directly from the next. But his aim will never get better, until he puts himself in positions for higher percentage shots or...he ups a 410 and goes buff hunting.

It seems to me that you're attempting to split aiming and flying; at a certain point, they become one in the same. There really isn't such a thing as "someone with poor aim but good shot setup." The players that only go for high percentage shots are simply that, players who go for high percentage shots. It's not indicative of aim any more than low percentage shots. What's indicative of good aim is someone who can consistently engage from a neutral position, achieve a guns solution, and connect the shot. Consider those factors, and you realize it automatically rules out a majority of players we've discussed previously.

Hit percentage, as measured in AH, is absolutely worthless for measuring a pilot's aiming ability (that's one of the reasons I believe it should be dropped as a ranking factor, but that's an entirely different discussion). A better indicator of aiming ability is kills per hour coupled with K/D. Someone with poor accuracy will rarely ever be able to break the 6-8 kill per hour mark (and even then, that's a fairly low bar to set). That doesn't mean everyone who breaks that threshold is a good shot, it's simply a starting point (and certainly some poor players still appear to have good accuracy).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:34:01 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
It seems to me that you're attempting to split aiming and flying; at a certain point, they become one in the same. There really isn't such a thing as "someone with poor aim but good shot setup." The players that only go for high percentage shots are simply that, players who go for high percentage shots. It's not indicative of aim any more than low percentage shots. What's indicative of good aim is someone who can consistently engage from a neutral position, achieve a guns solution, and connect the shot. Consider those factors, and you realize it automatically rules out a majority of players we've discussed previously.

Hit percentage, as measured in AH, is absolutely worthless for measuring a pilot's aiming ability (that's one of the reasons I believe it should be dropped as a ranking factor, but that's an entirely different discussion). A better indicator of aiming ability is kills per hour coupled with K/D. Someone with poor accuracy will rarely ever be able to break the 6-8 kill per hour mark (and even then, that's a fairly low bar to set). That doesn't mean everyone who breaks that threshold is a good shot, it's simply a starting point (and certainly some poor players still appear to have good accuracy).
I'm not talking about someone that only goes for high percentage shots...I'm talking about the person who knows how to move into high percentage shots.

Your right, I am talking more about manuever but aim is only going to get someone so far. Just like SA...You might be able to see the guy and read his E state...but if you can't 1v1 he's going to whoop that arse. If you can't move your nose to an aiming point then your not going to get as many chances the get the kill.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »
I am talking more about manuever but aim is only going to get someone so far.

There's no splitting of aiming and maneuvering - they are inseparable. You're comparing two different techniques of shooting and claiming one is aim and one is maneuvering, when in reality both are aiming.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
I guess if I had to give only one bit of advice, it would be SA is likely the single most important thing to work on after you've got the basics.  Over the years, I've found every single improvement I've made to my game has resulted from noticing more of both what my plane is doing as well as what my opponent's plane is doing.

Concentrate on judging how fast the bandit is going, whether he's gaining or losing speed, whether the angle he's coming in on allows him to get a shot, or if you're in the clear and can start the transition into your next maneuver.  Compare films and watch what it shows versus what you thought the situation was.

If I were allowed more than one tip, then it would expand to gunnery is critical, so is flying 'smooth'.

Wiley.

You are so right on SA.  It is the most difficult partof AH to learn and the quickest to loose.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
Get closer before shooting.
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19