Author Topic: Best fighter Pilot  (Read 5134 times)

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
Re: Best fighter Pilot
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 01:26:41 AM »
Marseille. Undefeated, monstrously effective in the air, and having an almost mythic status in the Luftwaffe. He wasn't simply a pilot, he was a legend, killer instinct and skill personified.

A case could also be made for Nishizawa as well, for much the same reasons.

B
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 01:27:13 AM »
Hartmann 357 kills
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 02:57:54 AM »
I don't think anybody can say for certain, but Erich Hartmann was also undefeated in a sense. He was technically 'shot down' once and bailed out on his own accord while multiple P51s were pursuing him, rather than face a cockpit full of .50 cals. He was also a hunter... and would venture off on his own or in an extremely small group towards Russian airfields. He shot down 352 + however many unconfirmed in just over 2 years, roughly the same amount of time Marsielle saw combat. I speak from experience. After all, I trained him, and he flew as my wingman.  :banana:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:01:24 AM by Krupinski »

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 03:19:53 AM »
Hartmann was never shot down, but he had to ditch 14 times due to damage.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
As many have said, it is very hard to qualify the response as it was not a UFC fight - too many other factors at play, from area of operations, relative numbers in the air, aircraft type...etc  etc.

For me, the one I admire the most is Marmaduke 'Pat' Pattle.

The others were amazing fighter pilots - for some reason I gravitate to this man.  I cannot define it, it simply is the way I feel

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 04:33:41 AM »
Swede Vejtasa, but then again he was a bomber pilot so maybe he doesn't count.

Is this on the basis of the three zeroes he bagged at Coral Sea while flying an SBD, or the 7 bombers he got at Guadalcanal in a Wildcat?  Both were pretty impressive feats, but again, it's hard to say how he would have fared in the more intense environments the Germans and other pilots faced. Probably fairly well, but we'll never know.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »
:airplane: These were all good fighter jocks, but the German fighter pilot in N. Africa was by far the best that I can think of right now. 17 kills in one day! wow!
The problem with that claim is that the UK didn't lose 17 planes that day...
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 04:47:38 AM »
Except they did. According to RAF records, they lost 13 planes shot down, and 6 crash landed. Several other aircraft had various degrees of damage, but managed to RTB safely. Marseilles may have claimed some of the planes that were damaged but made it back thinking they were more badly damaged than they were. In any case a victory for Marseilles even if not an outright "kill".
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 09:46:27 AM »
Except they did. According to RAF records, they lost 13 planes shot down, and 6 crash landed. Several other aircraft had various degrees of damage, but managed to RTB safely. Marseilles may have claimed some of the planes that were damaged but made it back thinking they were more badly damaged than they were. In any case a victory for Marseilles even if not an outright "kill".

I'd agree with this statement. If we are in a fight and you give me such damage as it forces me to abandon the fight and go land. You have effectively won the fight even if you did not outright destroy me. You have though downed me and vise verse
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »
As many have said, it is very hard to qualify the response as it was not a UFC fight - too many other factors at play, from area of operations, relative numbers in the air, aircraft type...etc  etc.

This too I would agree with. For example. By 44,45 most of the best German pilots were long gone. I would put forth the sheer number of sorties German pilots flew as a primary cause. Eventually fatigue takes its toll and luck runs out
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
:airplane: These were all good fighter jocks, but the German fighter pilot in N. Africa was by far the best that I can think of right now. 17 kills in one day! wow!

There are those who have looked at that day and not come up with those 17 claims
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Phoenix3107

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
It's a split call for me between Clarence B. Anderson and Robin Olds.
GameID:Phoenix

Also can be found under my DA name
"Lonewolf32097" at www.deviantart.com.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »
Marseille, Juutilainen and Wind top 3. Juutilainen and Wind with 34 and 39 kills in Brewster, neither one of them crashed or were shot down a single time. Alldough Wind landed his 109 safely after a direct hit in the seat armour by a 37mm shell from a P-39 (BUGGY!!  :old:)
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »
I'm the best fighter pilot.

No, I am.   :D  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »
Hartmann was never shot down, but he had to ditch 14 times due to damage.

Yes, you're right but hence the quotes, those P51 pilots would probably say otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:00:34 PM by Krupinski »