Author Topic: tower etiquette?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
Re: tower etiquette?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 10:43:58 PM »
I get drawn away by the telephone or family ack all the time.....and sometimes forget to log out....I really don't know why people get so upset about eny....... :old:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:48:16 PM by Canspec »

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
I get drawn away by the telephone or family ack all the time.....and sometimes forget to log out....I really don't know why people get so upset about eny....... :old:

I don't think anyone here is upset about eny. The discussion is on why do people just sit In The tower and not log off. When they don't log off, they can potentially make it more difficult for their own country to take/hold bases.

For an example, see one of my post from earlier in this thread.

Sorry for any misspellings/grammatical failures, I'm trying to reply from my phone.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »
I see now why so many thought my post was a gripe about the game  :bhead I was looking at other posts and see it has been quite prevalent on the bbs. My intent was to get folk to think of others game enjoyment. It wasn't a selfish I, me, mine type complaint. Seems my way of thought is maybe too rarely seen? I don't care about changing game play one bit. Well maybe the sure fire kill you dead as Hell aces being a different color than everyone else could be helpful! That way I could crap myself well before the second turn of the fight, sort of get it over with :joystick: I am a team player and will do all I can to help out others. I know it could be kind of crazy or stupid but I have ditched with kills to land, to bring troops to a team mate turreted in his perk tank. I am very generous by personality as well, wont go in to details, but my Squad mates know what I am referring to. Its just who I am and it helps me to deal with my personal struggles in life. Might even be way to much sunday school? The Golden Rule was pounded in very well. I love this game and the characters I have met in it have filled my days and nights with some great fun. For example getting teased about running from a lady in a pink spitfire, to an evil guy named Kev flying naked(hope he isn't really but still) to a certain truck driver with an Dracula accent and love of beer and his old squaddie that can imitate him far too well. :x I even found an old high school class mate in the game. To some it may seem lame, but this game means a lot to me. I am not able to get out much these days, and you fellow players are some of my only non family contact I get on a regular basis. This game has given me reasons to laugh again and I go crazy when I cant be on. I know I am glad I didn't find this game back when I working, might have been an issue! Not sure I could have done both and the game might have won out :neener: I hear the usual gripes and complaints every day and at times I cringe. Hearing anyone talk about quitting over some problem or issue really hits me. I wish I could have been on when the numbers were higher but I had a life and a job, and sure hope this game continues for a long time. So after hearing this problem and seeing its effect(tower sitters) I figured I would voice a opinion and try to get folk to think of other players a bit more. Hey it might not change anyones mind but you never know if you don't try.  Right? Hope this explanation doesn't come out as a look at me thing as I don't need acknowledgment or pity at all, just setting the record straight to get you to see it from my perspective. Thanks for the feed back as well as it gave me a reference as to the level of success my idea will achieve.  :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 01:58:27 AM »
I don't think anyone here is upset about eny. The discussion is on why do people just sit In The tower and not log off. When they don't log off, they can potentially make it more difficult for their own country to take/hold bases.

For an example, see one of my post from earlier in this thread.

Sorry for any misspellings/grammatical failures, I'm trying to reply from my phone.
And at work no less!! Still thinking about the game. See what I mean? Would have had to quit working long before I had to! Thanks for the back-up on trying to help me explain, Boss!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »

That makes you part of the problem.  It's not unheard of in other online games that after 30 minutes of idle time, your session is disconnected.   I don't understand what the big deal is with that.  It is not like it takes a lot to log back in.  The players that just stay logged in are selfish and impacting everyone's game play.  Would love to see the stats that HiTech used to justify his "no impact" statement.  Perhaps when he had thousands of players that was true, but with today's numbers?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »

who cares.. what if they are actually playing but not helping you take or hold bases? you want them kicked off too?

what about someone just chatting with friends?

in the end this is about people not playing the way you want them to.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:08:22 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »
I have known some people who will sit in the tower just to keep downloading the skins . They will log on in the evening , stay logged and go to bed. When they get up , the skins will be done ..
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
  I've never quite bought into the train of thought that the "ENY" balances anything in the
main arena. As it is a theater-wide implementation its effect on balance is basically nil.
I personally see it more as yet another instance of aggravating/frustrating game mechanics
which overall serves no purpose other than to further drain the numbers of active pilots/subscriptions
to the game.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »
Folks gets upset about ENY Because most guys likes to fly 190d9, p51d and typhoons......ENY screws it up for them lol....
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
  I've never quite bought into the train of thought that the "ENY" balances anything in the
main arena. As it is a theater-wide implementation its effect on balance is basically nil.
I personally see it more as yet another instance of aggravating/frustrating game mechanics
which overall serves no purpose other than to further drain the numbers of active pilots/subscriptions
to the game.
HTC and in particular HiTech disagrees with you and is his solution to balancing sides.  Right or wrong, his opinion is the only one that matters.  While at one time the number of players that remained "out to lunch" and were included in the calculation of ENY, the numbers of active players was so great as to render their inclusion  as insignificant, however, with today's numbers down their impact is no longer diminished.   
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
Frankly, if I had spent a bunch of perks defending bases, or taking bases towards a win, I'd think about staying logged on if the win was imminent. That's not been the case for me, cause I always play knights...... :x :banana: :bolt:
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
I have known some people who will sit in the tower just to keep downloading the skins . They will log on in the evening , stay logged and go to bed. When they get up , the skins will be done ..
Exactly! That is a legit reason to sit in a tower, that's how most new players do that. Again I wasn't trying to poo poo anyones game playing style. In my example it was more of a team play type situation. So many in the tower "in active" hurt the team. Its not about wanting cheap perk rides or flying low eny planes,it was that the side balancing aspect of having an ENY was not applicable. I still had a blast personally but for some it was a reason to log. I know "their problem" and maybe having eny kick in wouldn't have changed  the situation much, but will never know as it didn't happen that way. It was just my observation of a particular incident.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
Exactly! That is a legit reason to sit in a tower, that's how most new players do that. Again I wasn't trying to poo poo anyones game playing style. In my example it was more of a team play type situation. So many in the tower "in active" hurt the team. Its not about wanting cheap perk rides or flying low eny planes,it was that the side balancing aspect of having an ENY was not applicable. I still had a blast personally but for some it was a reason to log. I know "their problem" and maybe having eny kick in wouldn't have changed  the situation much, but will never know as it didn't happen that way. It was just my observation of a particular incident.

I think you have to remember that not everyone in the game is interested in the team. A lot just come in to do whatever they feel like doing for while and then leave. Some will stay logged in because they will return after a while....and some will not............and then we have the spies... :noid

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 05:35:09 PM »
South flies nekkid (so Sik tells me). Of course, he throws on a bath robe in the tower.

I once took a dump that lasted 35 minutes and forgot to log off. During that satisfying half an hour plus all our sheep were raped by the Bish. Twas a shameful thing. Maybe it was a good thing I missed witnessing it (as it's doubtful I could have prevented it). I made amends by sitting in an idling jeep for an hour (actually, I had the runs and had to visit the head again).

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32:46 PM »
All the "everyone should play the game the way I want them to, so it makes it easier on me" people makes it easier for me to stay away from the game. I even had to concede and respect Skyyr's method of fighting, because ultimately it's his dime and as long as he's not cheating or gaming the game( which he doesn't) he can do it the way he wants.
It's utterly ridiculous to keep complaining about things that don't need to be changed. Reset the map just because there are people in the tower and you can't fly you low ENY plane? BAH! Play or quit. Those who continually BMW(b**tch, moan and whine) need to get a life. They make the game MUCH more unpleasant than those who are in the tower.

So your suggesting that everyone play the game like you, or your way correct? If a fighter guy who pays his $15 a month to chase down buffs hitting the strats complains because those buffs bail before he can kill them your saying he is wrong, and should shut up and play the game. He is not being allowed to play his way, but it is ok for the buff player to play his? Why? whats the difference?

The same goes for the HQ downers. it's ok to do what they want but others have to suck it up?

There are a lot of ways to play this game. It is full of balances. When there were 200 players per side, 40 of them sitting in the tower wasn't that big a deal, now with 40 per side 20 IS a big deal. BALANCE.

I don't think people want huge re-writes of the game, just balance. HQ should take more effort to take down, much like the effort it takes to bring it back up. If you are going to use ENY as a balancing tool , it has to balance with the smaller numbers. Personally if you team doesn't win the war WHILE your on and helping I don't think you should get any perks. You DIDN'T earn them because you DIDN'T win the war. Much like a good landing, if you slide off the runway you don't get a good landing, because it wasn't a good landing, YOU SLID OFF!. Take away the biggest reason people sitting in the tower (free perks just in case their team wins) and ENY may work the way it was mean even with the smaller numbers.

Folks gets upset about ENY Because most guys likes to fly 190d9, p51d and typhoons......ENY screws it up for them lol....

Whats wrong with them flying the planes they want? I'm sure a lot of people PAY to fly ponies because its the plane that captures their imagination. Just because YOU don't mind flying something else, don't try to force other to "play your way" and fly planes they don't want. It doesn't make them wrong just because they don't play the game the way YOU do.