Author Topic: tower etiquette?  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: tower etiquette?
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
'Huge' .... not 'Huge' .... the difference in philosophy being whether one insists that the programmer make the game fun for them (or fun again) versus the realization that players are the ones creating the fun or even ruining the fun. If a player finds dropping another country's HQ fun (this is part of the game design) then how is making it harder to do this via programming NOT catering to the player that get frustrated about their HQ being dropped (but is too busy to be bothered to do anything about it themselves)? Why does it take a programmer when players can actually stop the player from dropping it? It's hard? When did something being a challenge become bad? And what about players on the same side as the HQ dropper including him (or her) in other activities that are just as fun (if not more so)? Are we to presume that the lone dropper is such just because they are anti-social? Who's tried to talk them out of it by offering them something better?

The game setup and tools are what they were when more players were having fun and knew how to have fun without petitioning HT to 'make it fun.' Let's take charge of our own fun again. Numbers? Again, that's players acting out when they forget how to have fun and blame the wrong source because they are too lazy or immature to take charge in a positive way. 'All my friends quit!' 'All my squaddies quit!' 'It's HT's fault!' Mno. It's all your friends and squaddies faults (and, face it, yours ... for enabling that attitude) for wanting others (HT)/letting others (the HQ dropper) take charge of their fun.

All this 'behavioral policing' (for things not breaking TOS or involving hacking the game) is just so much bemusement. People need to beech less and exemplify more. Did DoK Gonzo sit in his poopy pants and scream about how unfair all the other players were acting? No. He adapted .... he overcame .... he conquered.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 09:44:01 PM »
I don't think people want huge re-writes of the game, just balance.

While that's a nice thought, I'm not sure it's so.

- oldman

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
And here we have the another example of what Par was talking about. This is the lowest our ENY has been in the past 2 hours. There hasn't been more that 42 people in flight during that time.

Is it to much to ask those that are going on an extended AFK to logout to the lobby?
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »
And here we have the another example of what Par was talking about. This is the lowest our ENY has been in the past 2 hours. There hasn't been more that 42 people in flight during that time.

(Image removed from quote.)

Is it to much to ask those that are going on an extended AFK to logout to the lobby?

Excellent example, it you are trying to show that Eny works and the number of players flying vs sitting in the tower.

The Bish have ENY because they have the numbers.

The Bish have 66% of players in the air
The Knights have 66% of their players in the air.
The Rooks have 72% of their players in the air.

Kicking out the tower sitters would in effect do absolutely nothing.  The Bish Eny would have been exactly the same.

Please, tell me again what your post was trying to prove?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
'Huge' .... not 'Huge' .... the difference in philosophy being whether one insists that the programmer make the game fun for them (or fun again) versus the realization that players are the ones creating the fun or even ruining the fun. If a player finds dropping another country's HQ fun (this is part of the game design) then how is making it harder to do this via programming NOT catering to the player that get frustrated about their HQ being dropped (but is too busy to be bothered to do anything about it themselves)? Why does it take a programmer when players can actually stop the player from dropping it? It's hard? When did something being a challenge become bad? And what about players on the same side as the HQ dropper including him (or her) in other activities that are just as fun (if not more so)? Are we to presume that the lone dropper is such just because they are anti-social? Who's tried to talk them out of it by offering them something better?

The game setup and tools are what they were when more players were having fun and knew how to have fun without petitioning HT to 'make it fun.' Let's take charge of our own fun again. Numbers? Again, that's players acting out when they forget how to have fun and blame the wrong source because they are too lazy or immature to take charge in a positive way. 'All my friends quit!' 'All my squaddies quit!' 'It's HT's fault!' Mno. It's all your friends and squaddies faults (and, face it, yours ... for enabling that attitude) for wanting others (HT)/letting others (the HQ dropper) take charge of their fun.

All this 'behavioral policing' (for things not breaking TOS or involving hacking the game) is just so much bemusement. People need to beech less and exemplify more. Did DoK Gonzo sit in his poopy pants and scream about how unfair all the other players were acting? No. He adapted .... he overcame .... he conquered.

It could not have been said any better!
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
Excellent example, it you are trying to show that Eny works and the number of players flying vs sitting in the tower.

The Bish have ENY because they have the numbers.

The Bish have 66% of players in the air
The Knights have 66% of their players in the air.
The Rooks have 72% of their players in the air.

Kicking out the tower sitters would in effect do absolutely nothing.  The Bish Eny would have been exactly the same.

Please, tell me again what your post was trying to prove?

In that screenshot, if the 20 players were kicked from the bish side, 10 from the knights, and 9 from the rooks, this would put the total % at each side at Bish: 46.7%, and rook at knight at 26.7%. Thus doing this relieves the bish side a little bit.

In the following screenshot, the % for each side would be Bish: 42.4%, Knights 28.3%, and Rooks 29.3%. Thus lowering the ENY for the bish.

In the following screenshot, the % for each side would be Bish: 28.6%, Knights 35.2%, and Rooks 36.2%. Thus lowering the ENY for the Rooks.

In the following screenshot, the % for each side would be Bish: 21.4%, Knights 39.6%, and Rooks 39%. Thus raising the ENY for the Knights. As the bish were  outnumbered due to tower sitters.

In the following screenshot, the % for each side would be Bish: 27.4%, Knights 30.1%, and Rooks 42.5%. Thus raising the ENY for the Rooks.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:53:51 PM by BowHTR »

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
So...it changes and everyone gets hit at some time or the other. Refer to post by Arlo.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »
It could not have been said any better!

This is why the game needs you, Coppr.  :cheers:

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
People who complain about ENY, I find to have the same great level of ignorance about the system, why it exists, and why it operates how it does. This is also true for those who complain about the collision model.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »
And I find myself buying Devil505 a drink.  :cheers:

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

Ok, fun for me is flying the 51D, why can't I "have fun" flying it anytime I choose? If I do recall, I do like all of you "pay" to have this fun!
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
You can fly it anytime you want in the MA. There ya go. Happiness.  ;)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »
Ok, fun for me is flying the 51D, why can't I "have fun" flying it anytime I choose? If I do recall, I do like all of you "pay" to have this fun!

you should switch sides to the lower side.. presto..

oh yeah except we're forced to stay on a side for 12 hours.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
Yup. Limit is 12 hours. For every soul playing. There's a few other limitations, as well. Gotta spend perks for some rides. If someone decides that one of those rides is the only way they can have fun, well, they have to suffer flying something else until they build up perks. If they blow those perks then they .... gotta start over. Oh the grind. If they've built the perks then, gawsh, there must have been other planes they managed to fly (and maybe even enjoy).

By and large, this game was designed with a lot of factors figured in. And players, the way they play, what they play .... are factored in. And .... being an interactive game (an MMO, if you will) there will be some limits for the good of all (yeah, it really isn't all about just us, as individuals, no matter how many waive their wallets and demand changes just to suit themselves). Those players that have unrealistic expectations/desires because they only want to fly one specific low eny plane and they don't want to switch sides and they don't want to fly events and ... and ....

Here's idea. If a player only likes the bubble around themselves to be a certain way there may be a good dozen or so offline dog-fighting games that'll cater to that. If a player likes AH, an online dog-fighting MMO with settings and limits that apply to all, then by cawd like AH and play the game.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
I think some are drifting off topic.

ENY isn't a problem here. We all have high ENY planes we enjoy. The purpose of the thread was to show that those that go AFK for extended periods of time hinder the ability of their own country. This makes it difficult for the ENY to help balance the gameplay.