Author Topic: Field of view  (Read 525 times)

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
Field of view
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:48:15 AM »
Just couldn't help but notice that the field of view is much smaller than what I would consider normal,

Also noticed i cant swap to a differnt base

Are these just a alpha things?

Cheers
Mitch

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Field of view
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 05:56:40 AM »
It takes a bit of getting used too but give different fov values a go.

I have run into the changing base problem.  Which arena?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:06:10 AM »
To make it more like the current version in video settings outside of the arena increase the number in the custom field of view box.   This is the same window you can change the resolution and max texture size.

Everyone has different sized monitors so just play with it until you get one your happy with. 
Just couldn't help but notice that the field of view is much smaller than what I would consider normal,

Cheers
Mitch
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
"Swapping" to different fields.  You have to love the differences in English language.  :aok  I wonder if that is how wife swapping got started.  :)

To answer field "swapping" question, I believe it is that way on purpose for the "Beta" arena.  Most folks that first check in, go there first (mostly because it says "beta").  It is a mission based arena and you are limited in what you are able to do, including entering the hangar.

In order to check out the terrains, do free flight and test vehicles as well as all other aircraft and field guns, the "Capture the Flag" arena would be your best bet.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »
When I was 5 I did 1st grade in Luton, England. American English in an English grade school got me in trouble every day.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »
We are taught mostly British English but on the TV most of the programs in English come from the USA, with subtexts to broaden our vocabulary.

So there was this young Finnish girl as an Au Pair in Britain, in an upper class family near London. In the family there was two kids. Now, one evening the young rascals weren't behaving as their nanny wished, so to their mother's shock she called them "bastards". I don't know if there's any exact translation in the English language for the word used in the Finnish subtexts, but sheetling would be the closest I can figure. Sheethead, although being close, translates word by word. Anyway, the subtext translation is much milder than the original expression hinting the offspring being a result of unprotected swapping.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »

Cheers
Mitch

Change the field of view in the video settings on the clipboard.  I had to set mine to 106 to get back the FOV I have in regular AH.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »
During one patch back with the closed alpha, I discovered 106 was a magic number. I was at 110-120 and first noticed the stutter. So I tried FOV and started back wards from 120 by 5s. Gained me back some FPS at 106 and reduced the stutter a tiny bit. But, clutter off got rid of the stutter.

Have not performed the start at 120 and reduce by 5 FOV test since.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:37:48 AM »
Avanti, HiTech recently said that the FOV in Alpha has been set according to other flight sim games. So yes, it's an alpha thing but it also is something that can be considered as normal.

In another thread quite long ago HT also said that the optimal FOV should be like looking through a window of the same size and distance as your screen. He also gave a formula for calculating the optimal FOV for any size of a monitor. Found it: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,348187.msg4599869.html#msg4599869.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni