Author Topic: mic issue  (Read 1884 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
mic issue
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I want to use the hdmi output from vid card. The sound passes out fine.

I have 2 pcie slots in board, I can assign either one to be primary display. I was using the 2nd slot when using dual cards. plugging in a single, I put it in the 2nd slot. Brief glitch getting mic to work with but......

So I decided to shift the card to the 1st slot as primary to see if there was a performance change. Now I just cannot get the analog jacks on mobo to work, realtek audio on board. I am not using the NVidia hd audio driver, only the realtek's. All my mobo's sound jacks are not recognizing now, greyed out. my mic will not connect................

I have done the different combinations of drivers and nada. Somehow using the hdmi port on the card is triggering a block on the realtek analog jacks.

ideas?

yes I could move the card back but.......................... ..................
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: mic issue
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »
If I ever knew what your MB is I have forgotten it. Some brands have a dual BIOS with a button on the MB to switch between the two. Is it possible you have onboard audio defeated in one BIOS and bumped the button while switching the cards? Otherwise, all I have is that maybe the onboard is turned off in the BIOS?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »
had the same issue  had to use the nivida hd audio . the realtek always caused issues
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 05:29:14 PM »
If I ever knew what your MB is I have forgotten it. Some brands have a dual BIOS with a button on the MB to switch between the two. Is it possible you have onboard audio defeated in one BIOS and bumped the button while switching the cards? Otherwise, all I have is that maybe the onboard is turned off in the BIOS?
I have dual bios but there is no switch. Using the hdmi out seems to create a dominance scenario where the NVidia card disables realteks ability to discover thru jacks. I cannot believe that there is no allowance for inputting a mic when using an NVidia card hdmi port, so I keep looking.

you use a gtx 980 yes....

how do you use a mic  ?
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
I have a sound card. SB ZxR. Looking up your system now.

EDIT: Wow,  that manual sucks. I will keep looking, but I don't think we are going to find easy answers here.

I have a ZxR, but for microphone I use a firewire interface with an XLR microphone. Obviously, this is beyond what anyone would consider if all they do is games.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:02:54 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
I think what you have going on is a misconfiguration issue. I mean the potential is there as indicated on page 103 of the manual.

With the ability to reconfigure any output for any use it is possible for a problem configuration to popup on you. And of course, front and back panel cannot be used at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:22:13 PM by Chalenge »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:39:28 PM »
Hi MADe,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to use the HDMI connect from your vid card to monitor for graphics only & your onboard Realtek sound chip for all sound & mic..................

Is this correct?

If so then what this appears to be is that when Windows starts up it detects the HDMI connection thru your graphics card to your monitor & thinks that you want sound & has set up a HDMI sound connection in Windows, regardless of whether you've installed the vid card's sound drivers or not & when this happens the sound & mic from your onboard sound card will be blocked....if in BIOS you have the Azaila Codec set up in Auto (this allows the OS to choose which 1 it wants & will default to HDMI). There should be a selection in the BIOS that allows you to either set this to "auto", "enable or HD\AC'97" or "disable". Your mobo manual shows the Azaila Codec default set to "auto".

You most likely will need to set this to "enabled or HD\AC'97" as then this will force the use of the onboard sound when Windows starts up then go into the Sound section under Playback, find the HDMI device that is active (there may be several HDMI devices showing but are usually disabled) then right click on it & click on disable...........then you should get your sound & mic back thru the onboard sound..................

Hope this helps you out.

:salute

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:12:48 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:37:34 PM »
Be advised, also, that every time you use the Nvidia Express installer for your GPU drivers, it will reactivate the Nvidia audio drivers even if you have them disabled. You can use the custom installer, but of course that has been an issue with various setups as it does not always install the Nvidia Control Panel.

Anyway, reading through what you posted I thought you might have setup the rear panel for playback (speakers), and the front panel for recording (mic), which the manual clearly says will not work. I have never played around with customizing the outputs beyond their original intent, so how that works I don't know.

What Pudgie is talking about includes going into your Device Manager for Windows and disabling the Nvidia audio devices. In the attached image you can see the black arrows pointing downward which indicates those devices are disabled.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
what I want/do is to use the hdmi out from vid card to monitor. I get video and sound thru HDMI to LED TV and its speakers, this works.

So now where do I plug the mic?

I do not have the Nvidia HD audio drivers installed. I manually install all drivers. The only thing I install of NVidia's driver suite is the graphics driver. Nothing else! I go safe mode and uninstall every file myself, then I do a clean install of the graphics drivers.

By disabling the front panel jack detection I can assign the frontpanel jacks as mics but it detects a mic whether one is plugged or not, when installed it does not function. The earlier attachment says it all, detected, listed, pegged, no joy.......................

I even upgraded to all latest drivers for NVidia and realtek, no joy.

Previous cards I used the DVI to hdmi dongle, mobo had a realtek direct connect to cards, so sound was thru to LED via hdmi, mic was plugged front or back did not matter because the cards did not disable the onboard sound ports. Might have to use dongle here. Possible that its the MS audio driver that's assigning defaults to vid card.

I will say it again, it slays me that the industry would make a high end gaming card that would bork the onboard sound hardware. I mean WTF, really! Figured I was doing myself a favor by using hdmi to hdmi, NOT!  Gots to be a known fix, gaming without a mic with a vid card listed as a gaming card...............

[quote name='inoxllor' post='499402' date='Jan 31 2009, 01:26 PM']Response from NVIDIA:

"The HDTV is basically telling the PC via its EDID firmware that it supports audio via HDMI only and not analog.

NVIDIA is investigating a workaround for this to ignore the HDTV/monitors EDID firmware to support this user configuration in the future."

If we look on similiar posts on the internet this problem has more than 1 yr old... and still no solution?!

That makes sense, good to understand what the problem is. Its not an easy one to solve though, EDID's are important for graphics card and monitors to work together correctly. This is then, not NVidia's issue really. The computer is ouputting video correctly. The computer is being told by the TV its connected by HDMI, therefore is disabling its own analog audio. This is the problem with adapters... especially ones that support different features like HDMI to DVI. Its not really a bug, but an HDMI connection being handled like t should be... except its not REALLY an HDMI connection.

The only other work around that I can think of is if the EDID is transferred via a single pin on the connector. It would most likely be the DDC data pin, and pulling it might stop the problem. Then again, you might get nothing when its re-connected. I honestly don't know.

note the date rghhhhh
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:42:58 PM by MADe »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
Ah I C now,

You want to have the video & sound go over the HDMI connection to your TV & only use the onboard sound chip for mic (or recording).......

Well what I posted ain't gonna help you none...................

Hmmmmm MADe, you do know that this may be a very tall order to fill...................
The OS is the culprit that is not allowing the 2 to co-exist in the manner that you want them to.......................

I just remembered this,

The only other thing I can suggest is to try a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter as I haven't noticed any integrated graphics using a DP connection on any mobos (which gets around Windows having any native drivers to set up) & so Windows may not interfere w/ it. I have noted this behavior on my box as when I initially swapped out the DVI cable on my box to HDMI cable I had to disable the HDMI sound connection that Windows made active before I could get the sound\mic back thru my SB Zx card but when I swapped out the HDMI cable to DP I had no such issue as I found no instances of Windows trying to set up a DP connection within itself but DP can carry video & sound signals like HDMI can which indicates to me that DisplayPort protocol is between the vid card & monitor only. I could be wrong here but................can't hurt to try...............

I can't understand how you were getting sound over a DVI-to-HDMI adapter as DVI-I only carries digital video signals & DVI-D carried both analog & digital video signals but no sound.................

I may have to have you teach me.....................

PS--Here are 2 snippets of what I was getting at in my original posts:

Note in the Playback snippet the HDMI connection w/ the black down arrow.......that is the active Windows created HDMI playback device that I had to disable to get the sound\mic back thru my SoundBlaster card. Note there isn't any sign of a Windows-created DisplayPort sound device........this is why I suggested to try a DP-to-HDMI adapter.........may get lucky.........

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:13:25 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 08:41:47 PM »
I can't understand how you were getting sound over a DVI-to-HDMI adapter as DVI-I only carries digital video signals & DVI-D carried both analog & digital video signals but no sound.................

The mobo has a 2 wire direct connect to the vid card. NVidia provided a dongle that would pass the sound.

the issue is that NVidia is stupid. plugging the hdmi cable did what the article says. subsequently all analog sound is bunged, my sound jacks are all analog.

Theres a work around where I can spoof the eide # of TV, causeing some kind of reset in windows...................... ......................bleepin killing me!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/412513/illustrated-guide-getting-back-analog-audio-input-on-the-tv-with-a-hdmi-pc-to-tv-connection-or-f/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:45:52 PM by MADe »

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »
I said i had the same issue if you are using mini jacks to the mic this may be the problem . what i did was use a usb port with a webcam and mic combo and then used the nivida driver. i have never tried to do what you are trying to do which is using the MB separate from the video card. when i did use the realteck sound  i got nothing .  so i figured why fight  it if the nivida driver worked
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:34 AM »
This is why I keep saying onboard audio sucks.

Have you got $50? I would prefer better, but a USB dynamic mic will work.

I would prefer something with a WDM driver, so you that you might reduce latency by using ASIO (ASIO4ALL might even just magically fix your issue now, but I doubt it).

I would suggest a firewire interface, but I know you won't go for it. Blue Microphones makes a nice USB mic kit with headphones for about $150 (Blackout Bundle).

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 05:47:42 PM »
see attachment

got dvi monitor connect, mic plugged front panel, no joy.

see the greyed out analog gui. using the disable jack detection just creates what is termed "the silent audio signal????"

all analog function has been disabled, moving the new card to the primary pci slot caused the TV to assume no analog required. My guess is that, my pc was using a dsub connect, dvi>dsub dongle with 1st HDTV, I was using the secondary pci slot for monitor. Then I got a new HDTV, used the  dvi>HDMI setup, had analog sound. Now I change vid card, I place new card in secondary slot to drive monitor as the previous, hdmi connect thru out, analog sound present. I move new card to 1st pci slot and change bios to use it as primary monitor card, hdmi connected, lose analog sound........................ .......argh.................. cannot reset or tell windows to allow analog sound with the dvi connect..........

so right now all current drivers are updated, dvi connected, no analog sound.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:52:51 PM by MADe »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »

The mobo has a 2 wire direct connect to the vid card. NVidia provided a dongle that would pass the sound.

the issue is that NVidia is stupid. plugging the hdmi cable did what the article says. subsequently all analog sound is bunged, my sound jacks are all analog.

Theres a work around where I can spoof the eide # of TV, causeing some kind of reset in windows...................... ......................bleepin killing me!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/412513/illustrated-guide-getting-back-analog-audio-input-on-the-tv-with-a-hdmi-pc-to-tv-connection-or-f/

Ah IC now.......Nvidia provided a way to "by-pass" the vid card so the onboard (or discrete) sound card could access the HDMI cable sound connectors within the vid card but didn't provide a method to "disable" the sound chip on the vid card so Windows would only "see" the onboard (or discrete) sound card & not the sound chip on the video card thru HDMI & set up the onboard (or discrete) sound card thru HDMI.................

So Nvidia needs to provide a method thru NVCP to disable the sound chip on their vid cards as sans the onboard sound chips on mobos thru the mobo's UEFI or BIOS................

Then a user can CHOOSE the sound package that they want to use thru the HDMI connection..........

That bout right?

But you have brought up a good point.....................

If both AMD & Nvidia are supplying sound capabilities on their vid cards the sound should be fully featured to provide recording capabilities as well as playback capabilities & a HD\AC'97 connector should be provided on the vid card to provide access to the case front sound panel jacks for headphone use to accommodate gamers & those who would prefer to have this option...........these cards are being used in more than just HPTC systems where this option is not such a necessity.............

This would solve a LOT of issues IMHO.........

Just a thought....................

Hang in there MADe, you'll get it all sorted out eventually................... ....