Author Topic: Networking question.  (Read 914 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
Networking question.
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:30:27 AM »
Howdy I am wondering if the on board wireless adapter in a laptop can be split to handle two different connections at the same time.

I am setting up a scan tool for work and it uses a lap top and a vehicle communication module [VCM] that can be used wireless, a D-link wireless device comes in the kit that plugs into a usb port on the laptop.  Problem with that is they dont last too long or fall out and get lost or damaged, none of the shop ones have lasted more than a month. The VCM has to talk to the laptop wile the laptop talks to the Ford sever at same time, just wondering if there is a program or a way to split the wireless and not use the D-link adapter.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Networking question.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »
I might be wrong but I don't think it's possible. Is the D-link a standard wireless dongle? If so, try to find the shortest possible alternative to avoid accidental bending and such.

If a USB plug falls out, the connector in the laptop has worn out quite badly and the connection can't be trusted. The collar can be bent some for tightening. Anyway, by using the smallest possible dongles eliminates the need of constantly plugging and unplugging them, thus prolonging the life of both the connectors and the plugs.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
The D-link is just a tad smaller than a thumb drive, they get banged around a lot inside the car.

*EDIT* to add link of the adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127293
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:07:27 PM by WEZEL »

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:38:07 AM »
D-link and other manufacturers now make wifi adapters that only protrude some 5 mm off the USB connector. Actually, there's also thumb drives of that size! Not to mention wireless mouse transceivers. They're so small you don't have to unplug them when putting the laptop into its case. Also, if the laptops can't be used inside a case in the car, adding adhesive bumpons both sides of the USB slots might save the smaller plugs.

Oh, and correct me if I've understood you wrong. I figured you need two wifi connections: One built-in in the laptop and another via the USB dongle.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:41:05 AM by Bizman »
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
Did you try to putting the adapter on a short USB cable?

Dangle the dongle.  :D

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
Did you try to putting the adapter on a short USB cable?

Dangle the dongle.  :D

lol

Trouble with the "Dangle the dongle" is it can get caught on moving parts, I edited my  above post to show the D-link nano I am suppose to use.  I am just trying to find a work around so I dont have to use it, I dont want to keep buying one every now and then. I know my will last longer than the shop ones since I will not let any of the animals touch or even look at mine.

Sad part is my shop has over 8 Toughbooks and VCM's and all but 1 is inop and that one gets used by 10 tech's, you have to wait over an hour to use one at times and in my job time is money. I use to take care of the shop ones to keep them up and running, but when I kept telling the boss about the tech's that always messed them up he did noting, so I tossed my hands up and told him he has to find another guy to take care of them, outside of changing oil and rotating tires you need a laptop for everything, heck you need to be hooked up to a Lincoln server just to prep a new car nowadays.

Found this one on the net that is even smaller than the dlink but I have to see if it is compatible  with the software/hardware, the VCM as the same D-link in it and I dont know if I could swap both of them to the ones I found in the link below, might be some experimenting on my part. 

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:28:44 PM by WEZEL »

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ33M4541 is only one third of the length of the one you're using.

Kotisivuni

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ33M4541 is only one third of the length of the one you're using.

Cool thanks must have missed that one  :salute

I will need to get two and try them out see if they work.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
Years ago when I was on the road I used one, but it was a bit bigger. My solution was to make a guard out of wood to cover the whole thing and I duck taped it to the side of my laptop. Wasn't all that pretty, but I had no trouble using it.

Online save

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
my guess is that the routing tables of these 2 connections has to be manually set, or you risk asyncronous routing ...
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »
my guess is that the routing tables of these 2 connections has to be manually set, or you risk asyncronous routing ...

:confused:

sorry very novice when it comes to network stuff.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
Just make sure the one you DO NOT WANT TO USE FOR INTERNET has NO gateway defined in its settings.

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
mmmm kay.........  looks like someone has had experience at hiding the dongle   :bolt:

Online save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 01:54:29 AM »
in short, you have to tell the machine which one are the default gateway ( going to the Internet), and if you have networks going to another network card they have to be defined, google windows routing.
It's not that hard to do.

routing can be tricky when you want redundancy, but in your case, static routing will do it.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera