Author Topic: Eny  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Eny
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
I already consider it many years ago .

There is a big hole in the idea. Say you are currently on the small side. You could switch to the big side, and then immediately switch back.

HiTech
I don't know how to prevent that, but maybe even a 1 or 2 hour side switch to the low side, but 6 to the high? That would still help.

There's a lot of things (squad nights, FSO, scenario, football games) that can cause numbers to swing wildly in 6 hours. It can make side switching pretty dicey.

It's unfortunate that some abuse this and that prevents others from using it as intended to help balance game play. I can tell you that being horded by 6 brewsters stinks just as much as being horded by 6 hellcats.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
People seem to think ENY is there to have people switch sides to even up the numbers, I don't think it is. I think it is there to force the team with the higher numbers to use less capable equipment to do the same battle.

Switching sides, and often, forces the ENY to bounce all over the place. The shorter the switch times the wilder the swings in ENY.

I think there needs to be a "tooling" for ENY and a few other things.

ENY needs to kick in harder, but it should also have a few provisions. If bish have the numbers BUT are being attacked from both sides (knits and rooks) ENY shouldn't factor in. The numbers "total" for the arena is what ticks people off about ENY. So the Bish are fighting two fronts AND have an ENY penalty, not exactly fair. While it is most likely a coading nightmare the "action" should dictate when and how the ENY kicks in.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
The problem with your thought is that a 51B or -1 hog are not inferior equipment.

5 or 6 sticks that know what they're doing and helping out the low number side is going to have a much greater impact than sticking one side in MW birds.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »
The problem with your thought is that a 51B or -1 hog are not inferior equipment.

5 or 6 sticks that know what they're doing
and helping out the low number side is going to have a much greater impact than sticking one side in MW birds.

The older hogs carry less ord, and the bolded section is an issue. Yes there are a few very good "pilots" that a mid war plane would is still a top notch machine but do you realize how many players are under average players? It is something like 80% that cant even maintain a positive K/D. There are very few players that can do anything in any plane/vehicle. Others rely on the equipment to get the job done. If not, don't you think you'd see a lot more players using midwar planes to build perks if it was so much easier. 

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »

5 or 6 sticks that know what they're doing and helping out the low number side is going to have a much greater impact than sticking one side in MW birds.

Shhhhhhh.   Don't tell him or he will drop the ENY on those, too.   :bolt:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »
The older hogs carry less ord, and the bolded section is an issue. Yes there are a few very good "pilots" that a mid war plane would is still a top notch machine but do you realize how many players are under average players? It is something like 80% that cant even maintain a positive K/D. There are very few players that can do anything in any plane/vehicle. Others rely on the equipment to get the job done. If not, don't you think you'd see a lot more players using midwar planes to build perks if it was so much easier.

I'm a big believer that the plane doesn't matter.  So my line of thought is that the equipment isn't getting the job done for them, but numbers are.  You can be just as ineffective in a P-51D as a P-51B.  I think a reason we don't see more players in midwar planes that are pretty much as effective as late war planes is that most people just don't put much thought into this game.  They log on, drink some beers, and have a good time.  Years and years pass and they don't figure stuff out, because that's not important to them or how they have fun.

My point with the bolded section is that having 5-6 people who are halfway decent switch sides and attack the enemy dar bar is going to help out the low number side way more than just letting them have 2 extra 50 cals, or an La-7.  Most of the people who routinely switch sides are halfway decent sticks (you tend to get that way when you try to fight).
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 06:56:46 AM »
Yak9T is awesome
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 07:03:43 AM »
Of course the life is a lot easier in planes like the Dora and the D- pony but There are several ENY 20-30 planes that are competitive, what you often lack is the speed to run away but other than that you have little problem to fight.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »
Of course the life is a lot easier in planes like the Dora and the D- pony but There are several ENY 20-30 planes that are competitive, what you often lack is the speed to run away but other than that you have little problem to fight.
La5 and p51b are slow?!
There are numerous 20+ ENY planes that can go toe to toe with the ENY<10 planes. Some of which really do not deserve such a high ENY value.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
Again, you guys are talking about yourselves,  all better than average players. A vast majority  of players today are still, and will continue to be (because they won't try anything else) far BELOW average. Flying a ponyb or la5 to them is out of the question.  They know that it isn't the best plane and that their weak skills just don't mix.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
Complaining about ENY when competitors let the biggest wallet win fights with the best birds. At least Hitech is egalitarian up to a point about what ride and when you can fly it for $14.95.

Ultimately ENY posts devolve into: I really, really, really FEEL this game would be it's best if we can switch sides at will and have no ENY. Then I can hunt down and scalp everyone with impunity to make my EGO feel really, really, really good.

If Hitech had thought unlimited side switching and no ENY would keep his mortgage paid since the day so long ago he was forced by a childish selfish game community to IMPOSE ENY on them. We wouldn't be wasting so much text on it trying to get Hitech to change his mind.

We today are no different than those players back then who forced ENY on us by abusing Hitech's good graces.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:40 PM »
Again, you guys are talking about yourselves,  all better than average players. A vast majority  of players today are still, and will continue to be (because they won't try anything else) far BELOW average. Flying a ponyb or la5 to them is out of the question.
If they are that far below average it does not matter what they fly.

ENY does not affect your chances of success and does not prevent you from flying a specific model. It is only a rather weak incentive to make you switch sides in case you get hit by ENY often during your regular playing hours.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
only reason i play this game is to fly the p51, because I grew up in the 70's listening to its awesome power.  take that away and I'll fly a p47.  only reason I dont fly german planes is due to the fact i cant see out of the plane.  am I wrong?  no.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
If they are that far below average it does not matter what they fly.

ENY does not affect your chances of success and does not prevent you from flying a specific model. It is only a rather weak incentive to make you switch sides in case you get hit by ENY often during your regular playing hours.

I don't think ENY is to make people change sides. Hitech said this....

"The value chosen is base on the damping effect of oscillation do to players changing side along and with desire to keep the time long enough that an immediate change and change back can not be used for a strategic advantage."

here. The "option to switch sides is there for those who MUST fly a P51 when ENY kicks in. The biggest complaint about ENY is not being able to fly the plane they want.

In cases like semp and Fess the Pony is their ride of choice. Not because it is faster, or turns better or carries more ord, it's because they like flying that plane, much like Ack-Ack likes his 38. Unfortunately most other players don't play for "history" and so fly a plane that peak an interest. More players today fly a plane to get the job done to win the game. That means the fastest, easiest plane with the best load out. Which also happens to be those that get cut out first when ENY kicks in, and so the complaints.

ENY would be less of an issue if the numbers were tied into more parameters in the game, two forces fighting one, or a local ENY setup or some such thing. Just population isn't accurate enough. It would also be less of an issue if players learned the game better. Learned that an LA5 is just as competitive as an LA7, or that a P47-25 is every bit as good as a pony when it comes to moving mud. These "gamers" who do nothing but look for and use the quickest easiest route to the win aren't doing themselves any favors.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »
I think an easy fix for this is to limit ENY restriction when there are less than 80 players in the MA.

When you fight against say 40 players in the MA. You will only have between 10-20 players on each side. You have a map that's friggen huge with no boundaries. I vote Smog 8 in the off hours  :rock. So realistically neither team is actually "hoarding" because only 5-12 are flying and generally spread throughout the map. The idea of "teamwork" is sparce when using more than one squad. You generally come up agaisnt 190Ds and P51Ds against your level 3 plane, and they more than likely run away after you out manuever them. With smaller #s on bigger maps, it's not one team with #s dominating the map. It's 3 or 4 pilots in different areas of the map fighting other loan wolf pilots, thus one pilot is dealt the weaker aircraft from the start.

If the players were actually compelled to fighting with teamwork limited to a smaller map radius,  than ENY might have a realistic purpose. With smaller #s on such a large map the arguement is reasonable that ENY is not effective for the game.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion