Author Topic: aceshigh.exe stopped working  (Read 1192 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
aceshigh.exe stopped working
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »
aceshigh.exe stopped working is the error message i keep getting as soon as i try to launch program. It just started out of no where today. I have win10. I tried uninstalling and reinstall but getting same prob. what can I do?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: aceshigh.exe stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:08 AM »
You might try running the Error Checking routine in case there's a bit gone sideways. Illustrated instructions: https://windowsinstructed.com/run-chkdsk-windows/

I have no idea if that worked, but it doesn't take long and does absolutely no harm whatsoever.

Another trick you might want to try is to roll back to a date it worked using a Restore Point: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Windows 10 seems to be as much a work in progress as our Beta, so any update can be buggy...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:25:36 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:21:20 AM »
Are you part of the insider program for Windows 10?  The latest update from Microsoft breaks many DirectX games.  We have not heard if ours is one of them, but it could be.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
Just on a lark you might try re-creating application shortcuts and cut-and-paste them to your desktop.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
Or did you happen to install AH2 into the AH3 folder?  That would break them both.

While you cannot install AH3 into the AH2 folder, there is no provision to prevent a player from doing the reverse.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
Or did you happen to install AH2 into the AH3 folder?  That would break them both.

While you cannot install AH3 into the AH2 folder, there is no provision to prevent a player from doing the reverse.

i was an insider (trying to get windows 10 free), but eventually they forced me to buy it, that happened over the summer and AH has been working fine until Wednesday. i did download beta right after the .exe problem but that works fine.

I tried the copy past thing and got a new error " the program cant start because mss32.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix this problem".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:29:09 PM by bangsbox »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:04:09 AM »
i was an insider (trying to get windows 10 free), but eventually they forced me to buy it, that happened over the summer and AH has been working fine until Wednesday. i did download beta right after the .exe problem but that works fine.

I tried the copy past thing and got a new error " the program cant start because mss32.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix this problem".

That sounds like you are trying to run AH2 from the AH3 folder as AH3 no longer uses the mss32.dll.

I would suggest removing all the versions of Aces High from the computer.  Install AH2, then install AH3.

Be sure to disable any anti-xxxx software first.  If either does not work after that, then you might have gotten that insider update from Microsoft which does break most/many games.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:07:05 AM »
That sounds like you are trying to run AH2 from the AH3 folder as AH3 no longer uses the mss32.dll.

I would suggest removing all the versions of Aces High from the computer.  Install AH2, then install AH3.

Be sure to disable any anti-xxxx software first.  If either does not work after that, then you might have gotten that insider update from Microsoft which does break most/many games.

what do I do if I got that update?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 06:48:52 AM »
Check with the insider news at Microsoft.  According to what I read, they will be releasing another update which should correct it.  They just did not say when.

With Windows 10, you really cannot do much when they release a bad update. You just have to wait until they release a fix.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
Check with the insider news at Microsoft.  According to what I read, they will be releasing another update which should correct it.  They just did not say when.

With Windows 10, you really cannot do much when they release a bad update. You just have to wait until they release a fix.

i FINALLY GOT ah WORKING! I had to restore computer to a January 24 2016 backup though. So you were right Skuzzy, A recent dang windows 10 update was screwing with my beloved AH. Hex them! 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
That update took out a lot of games, but not all.  Glad you got it working again.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese