Author Topic: An odd encounter leads to a profound question  (Read 7739 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: An odd encounter leads to a profound question
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »
I thought this was something one used to protect the hands while handling baby goats.

Um, Gloves made from kid leather. ;)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »
I hope you mean Kidd Arlo...  :uhoh
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
Two different concepts. Try to understand that.  :D  :salute

how is it two different concepts?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
how is it two different concepts?

In one concept you are introducing the reality of the game to a new player or reinforcing it in a vet. In the other you are applying the false code of honor in a dueling setting (which is broken just as often in the DA, believe it or not). If you manage to give a false set of expectations to a player they will more likely become a whiner then rage quit. That's why you have a percentage of the population saying things like 'It never used to be like this!' or 'When did THIS start to happen?' It was always there, they just were either protected from it or missed it. ;)

Anything that isn't breaking TOS is allowed (except for the 'honor' crowd that holds to an artificial code).

Whether of not someone gets personal satisfaction from vulching a player they don't even know is another thing, on top of that.  :)

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »

Anything that isn't breaking TOS is allowed.

That's not necessarily true. There have been exceptions.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
That's not necessarily true. There have been exceptions.

Management reserves the right to do so when a player finds an unanticipated way to disrupt the game - actually disrupt it, for all players involved (bombing HQ isn't a valid example since the results of such are, by game design, specifically what they are). Give me an example of vulching earning an eject/ban (outside of an event - and to be honest - inside one). Give an example of HOing earning the same or of ramming.

There are a lot of things some players will claim 'hurts the game/community' just because they want to believe so that have been part of the game from day one and continue to be. They cannot be practically coded away and, frankly, shouldn't. If a player wants to adhere to a code or behavior above and beyond the design of the game then that is that player's option (and more power to him). If it inspires another player to follow suit then that's hunky-dory, as well. When someone starts to try to form a religion around it and begins to proselytize to the masses .... well ....

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »
Wait .... I did think of one player behavioral issue that required coding: Killshooter.  :D

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
In one concept you are introducing the reality of the game to a new player or reinforcing it in a vet. In the other you are applying the false code of honor in a dueling setting (which is broken just as often in the DA, believe it or not). If you manage to give a false set of expectations to a player they will more likely become a whiner then rage quit. That's why you have a percentage of the population saying things like 'It never used to be like this!' or 'When did THIS start to happen?' It was always there, they just were either protected from it or missed it. ;)

Anything that isn't breaking TOS is allowed (except for the 'honor' crowd that holds to an artificial code).

Whether of not someone gets personal satisfaction from vulching a player they don't even know is another thing, on top of that.  :)

There are no rules. Everyone knows that. Pretending your individual situation is governed by a set of rules or lack there of is silly, and in knowing such, your behavior is no more protected by a lack of rules than condemned bytheir pretend existence.

Your defense of your behavior is:
1) "unsportsman like behavior is something you'd better get used to"
2) mercilessly pounding a dissadvantaged player into the ground is not unsportsmanlike in AH because Sportsmanship by definition can't exist in this game because it's an actual war. (silly at best)
3) the best way to teach your 12 year old the game of Football is to take him to a Bronco's practice, put pads on him, hand him the ball and tell him to try to run past Von Miller. repeatedly. Because he should never expect mercy or sprotsmanship in a football game. Is this situation the best way for anyone to learn the game? Answer: No

The episode as describe would make most people quit. If you think that's a learning session for anyone, you're part of the problem. but forget the quitter for a moment. What possible enjoyment do you get out of such a situation? Where those fun, challenging fights? encounters in AH are not analogies for life lessons. each is its own serarate encounter that is either fun for you, and your opponent or not. You have the power to control that outcome. You own the consequences of the outcome of your choices. Choose wisely.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:18 PM »
Don't project. We're not talking about my behavior. I didn't say it was an 'actual war.' The 'taking a 12 yr old to a Broncos practice' was a rather extreme and silly attempt at a correlation. None of that was my defense of anyone's behavior.

If you see a new player having a difficult time - give that player practical advice (in the case of getting vulched, explain that reupping under a vulcher ain't the answer). Better yet, if it bothers you and you think a better example may save the loss of a player - be said example. Sacrifice your time and take the new player to the TA. If it's not a new player, certainly they understand reupping under a vulcher is a challenge. Perhaps they're trying to prove they can. *ShruG*

This will happen again. The sky probably ain't gonna fall.  :D :cheers:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
Actually, Vinkman was spot on. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2016, 12:32:13 AM »
This reply is for all of you who have posted that you have downloaded the Alpha(back then) or the Beta(since went beta) and don't know what to do or test/look for!

Every single Alpha patch and Beta patch released has always had posted items that HTC needs the volunteer testers try and do, find etc....

After hitech and company gets enough reports back, and they have fixed found bugs and added stuff, etc.....

Then HTC release the next patch with a list of fixed bugs, graphics issues, etc...and include a new check list of things to do!

I'm surprised no one has yet to mention this

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
Back to the OP: some folk just need to get a thicker skin. If that'd been me on the losing end in that particular scenario (and it usually is) I'd have congratulated the superior pilot, then asked for some tips/ lessons instead of packing up my toys and going home. Even if I though I was being unfairly taken advantage of. Whels never took undue advantage of me, but he used to whip my butt mercilessly and regularly because I kept seeking him out for more. I learned a lot that way, and he got some good points/ perks because he was usually flying a dog and I was always flying the hottest thing I could afford, perk-wise.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2016, 07:38:28 AM »
Actually, Vinkman was spot on.

When he made up what I was doing and why or something else along the way?  :huh

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
Back to the OP: some folk just need to get a thicker skin. If that'd been me on the losing end in that particular scenario (and it usually is) I'd have congratulated the superior pilot, then asked for some tips/ lessons instead of packing up my toys and going home. Even if I though I was being unfairly taken advantage of. Whels never took undue advantage of me, but he used to whip my butt mercilessly and regularly because I kept seeking him out for more. I learned a lot that way, and he got some good points/ perks because he was usually flying a dog and I was always flying the hottest thing I could afford, perk-wise.

Now this is spot on. :aok