Author Topic: Manned guns and field supplies  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Manned guns and field supplies
« on: March 29, 2016, 12:24:35 AM »
Do you guys really think this is the way to go?

Discuss... 

I know why I started playing the game, neither of those were it.  Just seems like a gameplay killer.

:cheers:

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Manned guns and field supplies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:08:37 AM »
Pork first furball later.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:09:58 AM »
I know the feeling lazer. Just nothing you can do about but to take it out.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »
I could do without manned guns at airfields, but having them at v-bases and especially ports is a plus IMO. Otherwise it takes one plane to kill the VH at a port and it's there's no way at all for humans to defend it for 15 minutes.

Field supplies could go, but you'd have to change the strat system. Especially on the smaller maps you could put a side entirely out of the war for hours by porking the strats enough and killing ords and troops.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:27 AM »
I know why I started playing the game, neither of those were it.  Just seems like a gameplay killer.

Personally, I've no problem at all with the "resupply" aspect of AH. It's the field ack (manned and unmanned)
coupled with the wirbelwinds which continually suck so much fun out of the game.
  Aces High has become a "flight sim" where in the main, the vast majority of pilots "defending"
an airfield do so by merely flying directly over the field or town, waiting until the field ack/wirbels
have killed off most of the attackers.
  When a plane(s) does come out of the field ack, most times it's merely to run over to the town
ack where there's even more ack to hide in, or a wirbel or two sitting in/around the town
to drag attacking fighters into.
  It's a recurring theme and has been the case for several years and IMHO, has contributed
greatly to the frustration level of many pilots who have since unsubscribed to AH.
  Will things get changed in AH3? I don't know. But personally, I sure hope so.

Regards, Odd

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:34:02 AM »
I have always viewed the manned guns as a second choice to a plane or vehicle.  With that said they are easy enough to get rid of.  Resupply is not my bag and I rarely do it.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
Manned guns and resupping fields are just another aspect of gameplay...they are not a game killer... :rolleyes:

Just because you can't find enough newbies to destroy in the air doesn't mean anything...you have 2 options...

1.  Change your style of play/adapt to changing gameplay
2.  (this one would be rule #ed)

And yes...I do know what I'm talking about...just because I can only find time to play way late at night and on FSO Fridays doesn't mean I don't talk to my squad....

:ahand  :neener:

:rofl :rofl

:aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
Resupply takes some sort of risk and puts you in play. Manned guns (specifically 88s and 5') are the equivalent of a benchwarmer tripping a player running the ball down the field IMO.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
If it were me in charge, I'd replace all manned AAA with AI in order to encourage Aircraft or GV usage.

As for resupply, one thing that is fascinating about warfare is supply line and it's importance, taking this out of Aceshigh would take away an overlooked but vital aspect.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
If it were me in charge, I'd replace all manned AAA with AI in order to encourage Aircraft or GV usage.

As for resupply, one thing that is fascinating about warfare is supply line and it's importance, taking this out of Aceshigh would take away an overlooked but vital aspect.
But re supply in aces high is pretty much instant...in warfare resupply is one of the longest processes to an attack or defense...where in aces high it's the shortest.

Resupply takes some sort of risk and puts you in play. Manned guns (specifically 88s and 5') are the equivalent of a benchwarmer tripping a player running the ball down the field IMO.
Resupply does put you in some risk...but it shouldn't be the defenses GO TO in order to keep a base....they should have to fight to keep it.

Manned guns and resupping fields are just another aspect of gameplay...they are not a game killer... :rolleyes:

They are close to it, and quick question....does your squad tell you about the times they run to ack in tempests??? (over center island in low numbers none the less, someone must be scared of a real fight)

The reason it is pretty close to a game killer is because it is the "GO TO" Been many times when there is 0.....ZERO....NONE....NADA... NO Fights at all on a certain country so I fly to an enemy field and start hitting it....what do you think I see the most, a fighter upping??? Nope 88MM is normally the first thing they go to.

When POTW goes up and announces we are hitting a field, many times the only red we see are the M3s running supplies in....we even gave them a heads up to defend.

Flat out fact if you don't think these take away from combat....your just blind or don't know what real combat in here looks like.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
You do your thing let them do their thing..you are only in control of how you play the game just fly and die and have fun m3 and manned guns are easy enough to take out Hell even just the pilot can take out a manned gun with his.45 ..some people are afraid of a cartoon death..
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »
You do your thing let them do their thing..you are only in control of how you play the game just fly and die and have fun m3 and manned guns are easy enough to take out Hell even just the pilot can take out a manned gun with his.45 ..some people are afraid of a cartoon death..
I'd like my death to come from something that takes some sort of skill, I've seen some amazing shots made by man guns...but I can count them on my hand the last 10 years...

I don't think man guns should be enabled until one of 3 things is down...FHs, VHs, or auto guns.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »
Do you guys really think this is the way to go?

Discuss... 

:cheers:
Well if you find the jeeps and m3 those are kills!
The 88 Heros when hangers are up tho..... Come on man
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
If only you knew how much fun can be had by breaking up a capture with a lone field gun....

Never used the 88's in the MA, that is as easy as skating on double runners. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
First, when a field is being vulched, a good shot sitting in an 88 or a 37 can mean that someone gets off the field...so quit whining that someone is stopping you from getting easy kills. Second, if a base is being resupped, quit whining that someone is stopping you from getting an easy base take. I will be coming back soon.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"