Author Topic: Should I live stream the next scenario? I want to, but...  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Should I live stream the next scenario? I want to, but...
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
I want to live stream the next scenario onto Twitch.tv.

However, if players on the other side look at my stream, they could use that to know the location of my attack group (which would be very bad for the scenario).

Do you folks think I should worry about that?

Any suggestions?

What do folks think?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Should I live stream the next scenario? I want to, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
I want to live stream the next scenario onto Twitch.tv.

However, if players on the other side look at my stream, they could use that to know the location of my attack group (which would be very bad for the scenario).

Do you folks think I should worry about that?

Any suggestions?

What do folks think?
You can have it set to a delay.....your always going to have the threat of stream snipers as long as your streaming. If you have a system strong enough to live stream it well why don't you record your gameplay with a different recorder and upload it to youtube? Can't think of any special event videos out there on the tubes.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
As the side CO you'd be flying for, please don't live stream us :)
Youtube it after, absolutely!  I'll be doing some facebook and twitter updates, but mostly updates on non mission critical stuff, like shooting the CO of the Axis down, things that won't impact the event  :rofl
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
Youtube videos have their different set of advantages (like being around forever), but --

Live streaming is how a lot of people check out games these days, and live streaming has an added dimension to it that videos lack.  People hang out on Twitch looking at what is live streaming and pop in to take a look.

It's akin to the difference between a Youtube video and an ad that plays during a TV show or concert.  Similar, but a different audience and type of reach.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
I know nothing of the Twitch.  How long can you delay it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
A large enough delay would indeed get around the usefulness of information.

That is an *excellent* idea!

Knowing where a group was 30 minutes ago doesn't help you too much.  In fact, reacting to 30-minute-old info probably would probably harm you.

The only problem with that is that it lacks the immediacy, and so people asking a question or a chat wouldn't be seeing up-to-date stuff that I'd be experiencing while I'm replying.

However, that is probably the very best compromise.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »
How about if they want to really see a live stream of the event, they play it :)
ROC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »
Think you should take a poll...Live stream or Youtube video of the event.....think you will find most people are down with the youtubes.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »
I'm not looking to reach current players, though -- they already know about AH.

I'm looking to reach people out there who have no clue what AH is.

Players already do Youtube videos so we already have at least some coverage there.

But no one has streamed a major on-line battle.  I don't know if that would get any traction or not, but interesting.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
I'd reccommend YouTube over stream especially when it will be easier to share on the AH events FB page
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »
I know you are trying to get new people, but I don't want our live battle streamed please.  Frankly, I'd rather you were leading your group instead of fiddling with the cameras lol
ROC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
I know you are trying to get new people, but I don't want our live battle streamed please.  Frankly, I'd rather you were leading your group instead of fiddling with the cameras lol

There is no fiddling.  It just streams what I see on the screen delayed by some amount.

The fiddling comes in if I have to do things based on ".p brooke let me in" messages.  Now that is a pain.  ;)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
Folks -- people already make and share Youtube videos.

This is more like the following.  Let's say there are two mediums:  magazines and a new one, radio.  Someone wants to try a broadcast of an event on radio.  Folks say, "Well, you can transcribe what you are going to say and make it available in a magazine.  Then folks can read it at their leisure whenever and search for it later" and so on.  Yes, but broadcasting on radio is a new medium that gives a new way to reach a new set of people who maybe don't look for things in magazines.

That's what I'm talking about here.  I'm not contemplating whether I should do Youtube or streaming.  I'm contemplating whether or not I should try streaming.

Why?

Because streaming is not a stored Youtube video, it is a different, new thing.  It is an up-and-coming thing.  It is a way more and more people are checking out games or getting exposed to games.  And while I've tried Youtube and lots of other things, I have never tried streaming.  It is intriguing.

The downside is not fiddling.

The only downside is possible loss of operational security.

However, if I can manage a suitable delay, that doesn't seem a concern anymore.

I'm thinking aloud here -- stream of consciousness pondering.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
The only downside is possible loss of operational security.
If you can come up with a way to live stream it without any of the text discussions being shown, or map indicating where the battle is occuring, have at it.  Otherwise, not from my side please.  If the opposition wants theirs shown, I'll be tuned in.

I am not sure, however, how someone who doesn't know the game will be exposed to the live stream.  If they don't know enough about the game to actually play the thing, how will they know enough to find the link? I'm pondering this as well as it's not exactly a new thing to me, I've been live streaming for several years on classes and events.  How would you get the viewers?  I know what I have to do to get people interested.  I use live streaming over the course of multiple subjects all geared to get them interested enough to sign up and attend the main event.  I don't live stream the main event.

Have you considered building a viewer base by perhaps live streaming action from the Main Arena?  You'd build an audience, and then that audience would be turned onto the scenario to actually play in it.  If your intention is to attract new players to the game and events, then attracting them after the event starts is behind the curve.  Start it now, practice now, build a base early, get them to fly the premium stuff.  Marketing efforts ;)  And, my opposition doesn't get to see my stuff!
ROC

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 09:29:51 PM »
I'm not saying yay or nay but one thing about youtube video is that you can post it on related pages in facebook for example. There are many warbirds and war history groups that don't mind if posting a video of this type. And given the target group, many potential new pilots get to see it as well. I'd only add the information of the event and the game and proper links on to it.

Now come to think of it. Someone ought to cut a neat video of the event just for this purpose!
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät