Author Topic: Ace Pilot  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Ace Pilot
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
While flying along last night I got to thinking about the "Ace Pilot" thing we do.

I like it and I hope I have an idea to possibly enhance it. 

I would like to see the Ace Pilot squadron and aircraft type be know by the enemy 24 hours before the start of the event.  Furthermore I would like to see the Ace Pilot aircraft and only him be assigned a specific skin to be flown only by him as the Ace Pilot identifier.

Both sides would do this to even it out.

I believe it would give more of an immersion to the event because I believe the historical RL Ace Pilots, at least the well know one's, were a know entity.  The Enemy knew what kind of plane and skin he flew.

Thank you for your attention, what do you think?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Ace Pilot
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Interesting idea,  perhaps we can do it next month.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »
I disagree about having separate skins. The Hartmann types that wore very elaborate personal marking, to the point where he could be identified easily by the enemy, were rare. In fact, Erich Hartmann is the only example I can think of from WW2. Herman Graf was another, but it is debatable if his brightly colored mounts were ever actually used in combat.

The most important thing regarding the use of the ace missions is balancing the plane pairings well on an individual frame basis. Nef does this well, others...not so much.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
Zoney, It was Sik1, my wingman last night.  I would have told you if you would have asked  :grin:.  We normally fly obnoxiously obvious skins, no matter which side :D  I wouldn't be against this at all as I enjoy head hunting very much :aok

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 04:47:50 AM »
Don't do skins.  Get HTC to allow skins to be set in missions.  Then we will do skins.  Skins are a woftam without that ability.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:40:53 AM »
Don't do skins.  Get HTC to allow skins to be set in missions.  Then we will do skins.  Skins are a woftam without that ability.

The 412th creates missions however we do not launch with them. We launch on my command and that allows us to set skins and ords and still be a part of the mission.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
i also agree with devil, I think that most of the deadly fighter pilots kept things low key so that the entire enemy air forces wasn't looking for them! and if they did it would be a very subtle difference.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »
Not a bad idea, but I normally see most planes in the default skin since I only download certain skins. Usually the obnoxiously obvious skin like Big Rat mentioned.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 04:34:54 PM »
The only real issue I see with selecting the Ace before the frame starts and announcing it publicly might see a pilot not show up, I guess back-ups could be provided but with so much notice, we might not know someone is going to miss till right before frame start.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 07:37:25 AM »
..We normally fly obnoxiously obvious skins...BigRat

read "Cow skins"  :bolt:

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
What if the CM selected the squads for all 6 ace missions when they selected and posted the CICs for each frame?

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »
That would make a mandatory ride and possibly mission profile limitation that could hamper the numbers game that is often a difficult part of being a CIC. Not saying it would not work. I am just a KISS fan.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
I agree. leave the decision making to the CiC.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
I agree. leave the decision making to the CiC.
I concur.   :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
So next month should we try the Ace Mission announcement before Friday then?

Perhaps an ace pilot and a backup should be chosen?

I could announce here on the BBS Thursday night before each frame?