Author Topic: Ho or no HO  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ho or no HO
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
I see your points but still say it was more fun without the HO considerations

I don't mean it as a slam, but more a question about the logic, trying to help people maybe enjoy the game more-

I assume you'd agree you can't guarantee a random person will not HO you.  Why not just assume he will, and conduct yourself accordingly?  If you always avoid the sharp end of the bad guy because you expect him to shoot, you won't be surprised and disappointed when he does.

I just don't understand why people hinge their enjoyment of the game on the hope the guy they're fighting won't take any possible shot they give him.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
I don't mean it as a slam, but more a question about the logic, trying to help people maybe enjoy the game more-

I assume you'd agree you can't guarantee a random person will not HO you.  Why not just assume he will, and conduct yourself accordingly?  If you always avoid the sharp end of the bad guy because you expect him to shoot, you won't be surprised and disappointed when he does.

I just don't understand why people hinge their enjoyment of the game on the hope the guy they're fighting won't take any possible shot they give him.

Wiley.

No slam taken, I do assume they will HO and act accordingly, its the times when they don't have to HO, I can sense it I'm sure they can sense it, but they do it any way, you give them an off nose basically letting them know you're not going to HO lets have a good fight and they turn into you like that's all they want to do, it just well still bugs me most likely because of my old AW connection. 

The fights just seemed different, more free wheeling, worked harder to get the six position, no cheap shots. 
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »
I always try to avoid a HO unless I am outnumbered.  At which point I am going to take every available shot I can get.  Mainly in the defense of a base or the defense of a goon...

However, if given opportunity, I may pull a trigger about 1.8 out just to see how an opponent reacts.

I suck at the HO.  Hell.  I can be in a 110 HO with a Spit 1 and I will likely lose!!!  No kidding!

My advice is this.  If someone is lining you up for that shot.  Do something about it.  Otherwise you are just as guilty.  When I get killed by the HO shot, I am also at fault.  I should have lured them in, react, then act...

It is not s tactic.  It is not a fighting style.  It is a survival technique when options have run out.  It was done for real.

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »
I see your points but still say it was more fun without the HO considerations

You might find more fun with it if you viewed it kind of like giving your opponent a brief crossing shot opportunity (but trying to time your twist/jink just right so that he misses)...  You're basically riding the edge and trying to narrowly miss his shot, and if you do, you're going to get an advantage in the fight...  If you didn't, well, good for him.  If you look at it like dodging a train, it makes it more fun, IMO.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »
HO is legit, and useful, and can be lame.  But why not.  Without it (and collisions) you get the same old worn out AW style merge/fite where the tighter turner has a distinct advantage.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:04 PM »
The head-on shot is an important part of real ACM.  If the threat of it does not exist, a large part of ACM is changed from what it was in reality, especially merges.

Also, in the extreme case of head-on's not working at all, you get totally unrealistic fights, like Tumor says.  You can flounder around at stall, a sitting duck, but as long as you get your nose to within 45 degrees of an enemy, he can't shoot you.

A Storch becomes unkillable.

-- It takes as much skill to land head-on shots as it does to land any other shot.
-- If you have maneuvering speed, you can avoid head-on hits from the large majority of AH pilots.
-- If you don't have maneuvering speed, you don't deserve to be saved just because you got your nose pointed vaguely in the direction of the attacker.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »
Paging OBX, OBX to reception please, fuss in progress.

OBX, TRD!
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »
No HO, and HOing is A-Ok to do anyways. I always begged for my opponents to try and HO me and it is literally the easiest shot to avoid. Remember, if you died to a HO shot then you literally flew into your opponents guns, so good job on killing yourself  :aok

Depends on what Arena you were in.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I never begrudged people for shooting me in the face in the main arena, I tried not to myself but I never expected others to follow suit. If I was in the DA for example however, sometimes it just happens. There will be those "iffy-maybe it was maybe it wasn't shots" but I always just apologized for them and kept on going. No point in wringing your hands over it.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
Was it being flown by me?  I thought when I did it it was a 110-G2, but might be misremembering.

I make it a point to avoid my opponent's guns regardless of which way my plane is facing for the most part.  Occasionally if a guy seems to want to HO me really bad I'll give it to him.

What Brooke said about catches it.  Outnumbered, I'll take whatever shot they give me.

Wiley.

Don't remember who it was, but do remember getting multiple hits on him (probably just with the crappy bb guns) in a few BNZ passes.  He was already leaking fuel and my 110C was undamaged when we ended up in a head on merge.  My tail got blown off and he just got an oil leak.  :furious
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
To add to what I said earlier... ya, the HO "HAS" to be an acceptable shot if you want any sort of realism.  However, as with ~everything~ else in AH there are certain types of people who are going to lame it up.  This is where we run into problems in the game.  Dig into of any problematic aspect of this game and you'll pretty much find the root cause to be a (or the) lame.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »
My view is if you fly in front of my guns I will shoot you.  Everything else you read about honor or skill for taking certain shots is nonsense.  So a head-on shot is an acceptible, if stupid, way to kill an enemy plane.  A dead-on zero deflection shot is (usually) a coin-toss as to who will come out on top.  Sometime the answer is neither.   Certain factors can skew the odds to some degree, including each planes relative armament or suseptability to critical damage, but its still a pretty dumb tactic.

I also agree with the previous post that an HO is easy to avoid and, while doing so, you can put yourself in an advantagous position over your opponant.  Example: most virtual pilots who fly British planes in IL2 Cliffs of Dover will take a HO shot when facing a 109 because they have more than even odds of doing crticial engine damage with the bazillion .303 rounds they can pump out with their 8 guns.  My favorite tactic is to get them to bite on the HO shot then pull vertical over them just before they shoot. Usually I end up either on their rear quarter or with a verticle position advantage and am able to end the fight pretty quickly afterwards.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »
I never begrudged people for shooting me in the face in the main arena, I tried not to myself but I never expected others to follow suit. If I was in the DA for example however, sometimes it just happens. There will be those "iffy-maybe it was maybe it wasn't shots" but I always just apologized for them and kept on going. No point in wringing your hands over it.
When I'm dueling someone I very much mean it when I say "guns cold first merge, after that anything goes."

Then I try my best not to get shot!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
When I'm dueling someone I very much mean it when I say "guns cold first merge, after that anything goes."

Then I try my best not to get shot!

If I was dueling for the ladder here or something I would as well, I should have clarified I was talking more about friendly duels for fun.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
Are you still flying btw? I need someone to knock some rust off of me. I'm not sure I can fly in the DA for 4 or 5 hours like we used to, but I probably have 1 or 2 in me

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group