Author Topic: Let's get more people back in the skies!  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Let's get more people back in the skies!
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 08:32:03 AM »
Guys, respectfully, you don't get it.  Not sure why, maybe because you've never really played other flight combat sims. 

Oh, I think some of us get it.  In Air Warrior, the grandfather of these games, fraggers were a constant problem.  You could report them, they would be banned sometimes, but there were always more.  When challenged, if they said anything, it was typically something like "Hey, there were spies in the real war!"  It is impossible to accurately convey the hatred that instantly filled you when someone in an A26 (with a handle like fx5bg) blew you out of the skies as he took off behind you. 

Here in AH, the AvA occasionally has tried turning killshooter off, and modern day fraggers have risen to the opportunity.  There is virtually nothing - nothing - worthwhile to be gained by turning killshooter off, and much labor and distress is avoided by having it on. 

- oldman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
This is the way i see it. HTC provides us the tools in which to have fun, but it is our perogitive to use them properly. It seems as though there are a certain small group of people, and I am by no means singling anyone out, that want HTC to magicly provide a furball, and then a air spawn 3k above it. Sometimes, when scanning thought a particular map if i see no fights i attempt to create one. Believe it or not de-acking a field is a great way to start a fight. I.E, hey guys field999 is de-acked. 9 times out of 10 multiple freindlies will start heading to that base. In turn, the other "country" will see the opposing dar bar and attempt a defense. Sometimes it turns into a 5 minute vulch fest and a quick bass take, other times it generates a furball that lasts several hours. Either way its entertainment. There are multiple other ways to stir up a fight, thats just an example. Also, when you see a new "handle" doing something stupid like slow crawling up a b17's 6 or trying to ho a Jug with a Zeke, lend some practical advice instead of being a jackhole, it may be the diffence from a 2 weeker to a subscriber.

I'd simply just like to see another arena that's designed for players who want quick action with a 15-30min time span, where strategy is not part of the idea. If I have a quick 25 minutes to play, I don't really want to go to a base, play in ack, probably die in the ack, trying to see if I can get a chump to roll on the field. It doesn't work that well in the off hours. I'm simply trying to get more people interested in fighting so that they have a clue as to what to do in the MA. The MA is a very big place for noobs, it's challenging to even take it all in. They don't have the attention to fly to a random base and try to stir up a fight.  I'd like a place that is condensed and easy for anyone to find some action.

I also agree with a lot of people taking about making the MA maps. While I wish I had the time to make one, I just don't. All I can do is provide my wisdom and Invision for exciting game play.

All I'm saying is that the strategy MMO type game is great, and I agree with a lot of Map ideas, (besides TT and FTs) but there just needs to be another arena that is designed for quick action, in order to sucker in new players who don't know how to find or create action yet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:50:39 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »

I think most of us have simply stated reasons. Now look at this own last post of yours and do tell me how it's more mature than what AKAK, Vudak and I wrote.

In fairness, when I reread my post, I come across as an *** :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

As, to be fair, was mine. My bad, man.  :salute

Or maybe because we actually did, and have up to several decades of experience in different places? Maybe because we actually know what we are talking about when we speak of the specific MA environment?

I think most of us have simply stated reasons. Now look at this own last post of yours and do tell me how it's more mature than what AKAK, Vudak and I wrote.

True, and it was wrong for me to do so.  Again, my bad and apologies.  But don't assume I don't have decades of experience in multiple place as well. My point is the gaming trends are towards immersion, VR being a good example.  Anything that detracts from that should be avoided. Does killshooter totally ruin the AH experience? No, but it is annoying.  So I get your points, but it doesn't change my opinion.    :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »

mmm... perhaps I'm just too used to that?  :headscratch:  :devil  :bolt:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
Now you're simply saying the game has to be played your way.  I'm not really a strat bomber or raider type, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I get turned off by the "force them all to play the way I want it played because that's the way I like to play" argument.  In reality, all you're trying to do is artificially re-create something that existed with a higher player count, by making a not-so-insignificant number of the remaining players abandon the the game play features that they enjoy.  Not a great solution imho.

The problem is the fact there is absolutely no incentive to interact with other players if you're playing the strategic (and even a tactical) game. If a set of bombers runs into a fighter it is because the bomber formation is either below 20k or someone with a lot more time in their hands than I are waiting up at altitude.

There are ways to prevent people from avoiding interaction with other players and some have been implemented in the past (NOE changes from years ago). However, not enough has been done and the diminishing player base is made that abundantly clear. I feel the following should be implemented;

1. Add additional wind layers that make high alt pinpoint bombing close to impossible.
2. Delay the autoguns from coming up after a base capture. Currently, after a base take the group immediately lands and warps to a different sector of the map.
3. Use smaller maps to focus the action, it would diminish the effect the smaller player base is having on gameplay.
4. Enable zone ENY to work in conjunction with arena ENY. Sure, you can fly your P51 but you need to do it against greater numbers or at least away from the pack.

I haven't logged into AH in about 2 months and I'm hesitant to keep paying for my account anymore. Hopefully something changes soon, but I'm not optimistic.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
How about taking the be nice approach. 

Last night I had a fun fight, my tiffy vs. his Spit16.  My plane was broken and leaking, but after getting some extension, and making a really nice move to get on his 6, I missed the shot.  After a few moves, someone came to assist me, and the Spit shot me down.  He then proceeds to jeer me via private message. 

Instead of "bring more people next time", try "good fight".  It's amazing how some the people who claim uber skills, fly crutch planes, then bloviate about how awesome they are.  Give it a rest, be encouraging and you may find you have more fights.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
How about taking the be nice approach. 

(snip)

Instead of "bring more people next time", try "good fight".

You should try flying IL2 CLoD on ATAG or ACG.   This behavior is the norm.  To be fair, I do not doubt that it is the norm for most of the players in AH as well.

IL2 BoS?  Ahhhhh....well, sometimes it is the norm. ;)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
I get what it's supposed to do and even noted that in my post.  As I said, the problem is it detracts from game.  It also could be handled in other ways which would not, such as community involvement, temporary bans for repeat offenders, points or kill subtraction, or a combination of these things.  This is how it is done in other online air combat communities, so what makes Aces High different?

Air Warrior had the PNG (Persona Non Grata) system to deal with friendly fire.  If you shot down 2 friendly planes within 24 hours, you were given Persona Non Grata status (not able to lift off with any ammo).  If you shot down more than 2 friendly planes in a 24 hour period, each friendly after the 2nd friendly plane you shot down adds another 24 hours, which meant that you could possibly go for days without any ammo if you went on a team killing spree.  The whines of being PNG were so loud that it was near deafening, far more whines than you'd ever see about the killshooter.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:11:10 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
Guys, respectfully, you don't get it.  Not sure why, maybe because you've never really played other flight combat sims.  AH is an abberation.  Even WAR THUNDER, a game some of you regularly put down, has bloody friendly fire.  Are there griefers there? Sure, but its minimal.  In all my years playing on all of them I've been shot down by a friendly a handful of times. If the community is filled with people who are that immature, its not a wonder that it is slowly shrinking.

This community never ceases to amaze me with its close-minded, insular mindset.

How is the statement in red possible when you start with the statement in blue.

We do get it sir.  HiTech does get it sir.  We've been down that road, it was a dead end.  If nothing else look at it this way.  The MA killshooter teaches you where YOU made a mistake and with those lessons you can fly the FSO's without killshooter and know what not to do to not shoot down your team mate.

Those that do not learn History, are destined to repeat it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:20:36 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

Killshooter is like kind of like the old saying if you don't have sense enough to come out of the rain then you don't deserve to be dry...

If you can't keep from being killed by shooting a friendly then you don't deserve to be alive... :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »
How is the statement in red possible when you start with the statement in blue.

I believe I already apologized for this.  I will strive to not insult with what follows.

In the end it is HTC's game and decision.  But AH sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to competitors, not just for killshooter but several other gamey features and dated concepts, which I'll let be rather than start some giant flame war over.   And let's be clear, those other games out there ARE competing products in the minds of potential new customers, regardless of how AH players may view them.   

These 'save AH' posts always seem to revolve around trying to get new people to see how great this game is, bringing back the great old days where furballers were everywhere, base captures were epic, etc.  But what I can't recall is seeing one question:  What if potential customers have and are trying the game but just dont view it the same way you guys do?  What if many of them only see gamey features, dated graphics, mechanical and repetative gameplay, a monthly subscription required, an old FM, etc?    I hope I am wrong, but I do think more see it that way than don't and that's not good. 

o7

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
I have no doubt that most players of other flight Sims who have played for any reasonable amount of time have more than likely heard of Aces High.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
I have no doubt that most players of other flight Sims who have played for any reasonable amount of time have more than likely heard of Aces High.

those that I have spoken to either can't get to grips with AH because they find it too difficult / hard to learn / want fast paced fights. 

Or the graphics suck and other games have better eye candy.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »
As I stated in a previous post AW had a new player arena for new players only.  It was a great idea.  Getting experience before entering the big boy arena was fun and useful.

They also at one time had a course of training events - I believe you signed up for the "course" and it was once a week for a month or so.  Covered fighter maneuvers, bombers, etc.  This might be helpful in getting players up to speed, if it were offered.  I can not remember if there was a fee for that training or not.  Of course, that was back when you were paying either $6/hr (GeNIE) or $2/hr through Delphi, so it wasn't anywhere near free in the terms we think of today...

Mike