Author Topic: ENY Again - Please Adjust it for Low # Times  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
ENY Again - Please Adjust it for Low # Times
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
When ENY equals the number of players online (16) that's a problem.    I can't seem to post the screenshot but it just happened so you can look via a time stamp.

If the goal is to make players logoff then it is working.

With 30 players online ENY is essentially pointless.   Can we please have it tweaked so it kicks in slower when numbers are low?

Thanks.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ENY Again - Please Adjust it for Low # Times
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
agree with this.  when low player population get rid of eny.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
What if the sides are 11/3/2?  11 guys could steamroll either side with 5 ENY planes.  That is worse than having ENY. 
The country loyalists ( to which most of the "get rid of ENY" crowd belong ) on the small number side will log off.

Instead, remove the side switch timer when total numbers are below 50, or even 100.  That way, people could still fly the crutch planes but not steamroll in them.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »
What if the sides are 11/3/2?  11 guys could steamroll either side with 5 ENY planes.  That is worse than having ENY. 
The country loyalists ( to which most of the "get rid of ENY" crowd belong ) on the small number side will log off.

Instead, remove the side switch timer when total numbers are below 50, or even 100.  That way, people could still fly the crutch planes but not steamroll in them.

NOBODY is going to steamroll with 11 players.   And if they do so what?   I would rather have 11 enemies to fight in uber rides than NOBODY to fight in any rides.  (Most of those 11 are in GVs any way.  Not interested.)
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:28:32 PM »
     I'm pretty certain ENY is to encourage people to switch to the low side to assist in rebalancing. removing eny would make the side balancing worse.  I do not think it is to make it more of a "fair fight" by giving a disadvantage to the side with higher numbers.  If I am wrong and it is the latter, then I would seriously question its effectiveness.
     If I am right though the carrot dangled to switch sides works for some, and not so much for others because some people would rather be loyal to their team or fly with people they know while for others and me personally, I see it as "oh boy! I can afford a 262 sooner by switching"!
     Either way though I think everyone can agree that the majority of the time balanced sides are more fun, and unbalanced sides are less fun.  In times of fewer players the imbalance can overwhelm the metrics in place to prevent it.
     The issue imho is that ENY does work as a perk (see what I did there) for some, but also as a punishment for others. It totally sucks to log in wanting to fly what you want, and not being able to because there are too many players already on your side. Something you have no control of, unless you switch yourself, which you may not want to do.
     My solution is to make switching sides a purely reward based system, rather than a reward/punishment (as some clearly see it).  Lock the ENY to base 1.0 and when the balance of sides deviates past a certain percentage say...15ish% double or so the perks for anyone willing to switch for the amount of time they must stay per side switching rules.  Make it obvious too, like a pulsing green highlight on the "officers club" tab and then on the "change country tab". When the balance normalizes the highlight disappears and players become ineligible to receive a bonus from switching.

Heck while we're on the subject of rewards and highlighting, wouldn't it be super fun if there was a perk bonus on a specific aircraft each hour?  For example: Each country has a different and random aircraft that would be highlighted in the hangar to receive bonus perks adjusted for its ENY when selected.
     Or perk bonus for joining missions...
     Or perk bonus for some achievements...
     Actually if the ENY was always base 1.0 perk bonuses could be rewarded for all manner of things to make the game more enjoyable, but that's a different thread.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »
ENY and the side switch time limit work opposite each other.  They operate at cross purposes.  It's madness with low numbers.   You can't expect people to switch to the low side knowing they will get stuck when ENY switches around an hour later.

ENY has been bouncing around all day from 0 to 16.   

I normally fly a LOT.   Until late this evening I had only flown once.   Why?  Because ENY 16 doesn't appeal to me any more than 9.6 does.

If the goal is to keep players away from the game it is working.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 12:33:29 AM »
Heh, wow.

21 players in flight.  ENY 21.3!

:furious  :bhead 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:37:10 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Try flying an aircraft above the ENY and you wont have any issues  :D
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
Try flying an aircraft above the ENY and you wont have any issues  :D

I love it when people say this in game. Usually it is combined with some form of comment about how you need to give up the crutch of low ENY planes and learn to fly!

So I joined a book club with a group of friends so that we could read Robert Shaw's rather good book on fighter combat.  Well, after a while we were told that there were too many people in the room and we could no longer read that book, we could however read Harry Potter.  Now it is not that I cannot read Harry Potter, after all reading is reading, it is just that I really do not want to.

We did have a choice, we could leave this room, go across the hall and into the other room where there were less people.  We did this and started listening to an album by The Eagles.  Sure enough after a while they turned that album off, there were now too many people in this room and we were not allowed to listen to The Eagles.  We could however listen to some Beethoven.  Now, I have the attributes to listen to Beethoven but you know what, I simply do not want to.

I know, the book room has now thinned out, let's go back there.  NO!!!  When you left that room you were locked out for 6 hours!

So, I have to now listen to music that I don't want to listen to or simply leave the building and go find something more satisfying to do........

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »
NOBODY is going to steamroll with 11 players.   And if they do so what?   I would rather have 11 enemies to fight in uber rides than NOBODY to fight in any rides.  (Most of those 11 are in GVs any way.  Not interested.)

I guess that NOBODY has somehow been resetting maps in the wee hours of the morning all these years.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 04:16:58 PM »
I agree with doing away with ENY.... but as long as it is in
effect... we have to live with it or quit. I personally would rather
live with and not quit  :airplane:
Of course, I've always wondered why the game has 3 countries
but that is another thread  :devil
Ram

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
I love it when people say this in game. Usually it is combined with some form of comment about how you need to give up the crutch of low ENY planes and learn to fly!

So I joined a book club with a group of friends so that we could read Robert Shaw's rather good book on fighter combat.  Well, after a while we were told that there were too many people in the room and we could no longer read that book, we could however read Harry Potter.  Now it is not that I cannot read Harry Potter, after all reading is reading, it is just that I really do not want to.

We did have a choice, we could leave this room, go across the hall and into the other room where there were less people.  We did this and started listening to an album by The Eagles.  Sure enough after a while they turned that album off, there were now too many people in this room and we were not allowed to listen to The Eagles.  We could however listen to some Beethoven.  Now, I have the attributes to listen to Beethoven but you know what, I simply do not want to.

I know, the book room has now thinned out, let's go back there.  NO!!!  When you left that room you were locked out for 6 hours!

So, I have to now listen to music that I don't want to listen to or simply leave the building and go find something more satisfying to do........

Bingo.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
I guess that NOBODY has somehow been resetting maps in the wee hours of the morning all these years.

Hasn't been an issue but so what?  Roll the damned maps.  At least there's some dadgum action when that's happening.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
I agree with doing away with ENY.... but as long as it is in
effect... we have to live with it or quit. I personally would rather
live with and not quit  :airplane:
Of course, I've always wondered why the game has 3 countries
but that is another thread  :devil
Ram

I, too, would prefer two sides.  Then ENY would actually serve a purpose again.  I like the dynamic fronts moving back and forth with two sides.  With three everything is stagnant and kinda' boring.   But HTC has explained why he uses three sides and I understand his reasoning (not that I agree with it as things stand now, however).

In any event, ENY is chasing off players.   It is getting worse every day.   I have seen the most ridiculous ENY spikes of all time the last two weeks (and especially the last three days).  It's really annoying.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »
I've always wondered why the game has 3 countries

It has been found that 3 countries is the best setup. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song