Author Topic: Note to self . . .  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Note to self . . .
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
and to all that follow! Don't forget to assign it. If you forget, it will drive you crazy!

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Note to self . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
and to all that follow! Don't forget to assign it. If you forget, it will drive you crazy!

Yea we have done that one more then once.

HiTech

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:25:16 AM »
Yea we have done that one more then once.

HiTech
sounds like a problem..... (Your so beyond my knowlage)

Dale fixes problems....

Dale please fix problem..

Challenge I got a guy on it  :D

Seriously thanks for everything you all do.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »
This one step kept me at a standstill for days.  I kept assigning it to Custom Default, not Custom Effects.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »
Which leads me to a question:

Dale, are you guys going to post a list of the event names that we can use to call for sound effects, or will the names buried in HTCEvents.fspro be it?  Does that file have all of the events/parameters that we can play with?  It would also be nice to know parameter range info (even though I know most or all of it is probably buried in HTCEvents).  And some of the event names in the logic track aren't intuitive.  Like what is Tail.  I figured out what it was by playing around, but it would be a nice-to-know.

Also, maybe in the future you can give us the event name for a town building blowing up (or create one just for a town building), so we can add stuff.  Or the event name for when a fire starts on a plane.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »
I think you're going to have to do a little hunting and pecking, as it were. I believe all of the important stuff is already in the default file (HTCevents), and you can extrapolate the rest from the previous sound structure of Aces High 2. They have basically ported over the same concept, but added a few things like multisounds, so instead of a single large explosion (explode6 from AH2) you can now have many different version (within reason) and allow the FMOD system to randomize which one plays.

There are a few changes from the course you purchased on MacProVideos, for instance I do not believe we can choose the quality of sound output. I think Vorbis is all there is. We also have an Asset tab, which the old version required the Asset bin to be a separate window.

And there may be a few bugs in the way the structure is. I am testing out the results of the surfaces before I insist that there is a problem, but I think I may have found one.

Anyway, it's not like you can just slap files in and have it work. You really have to choose your samples well in a lot of instances, and the tags for cadence samples need to be adjusted just right, things like that. For instance, I just happened to nail the M1919 .30 cal gun, but the M2 .50 cal just refuses to work right. I'll have to zoom in on the sample and really pick the right point, otherwise it malfunctions. Or it may be that the game engine is looking for another sample and there isn't one.

It's going to be work, but I know you can figure this out.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:40:53 AM »
For instance, I just happened to nail the M1919 .30 cal gun, but the M2 .50 cal just refuses to work right. I'll have to zoom in on the sample and really pick the right point, otherwise it malfunctions. Or it may be that the game engine is looking for another sample and there isn't one.

I had the tail end of the "tail" region of the m2 gun lined up with the tail end of the "To Start" tag area. Adjusting it to be outside of the sample area fixed the problem. If any part of the sample is outside of the tag area, then the sound 'could'  trigger silence for a short time.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »
I think the "To Tail", "Start", "To Start" logic track program gives the game the ability to do single burst and rapid fire.  I had been playing around with the Hispano on this event logic, and like a noob doofus I kept playing the sound track in FMOD like the cursor was a player head, expecting the sound I heard in FMOD to be repeated in game.  But in game, I was only getting the first few microseconds of the sound file.  So if there's even a little bit of empty space, it screws it up.  I'm going to go back and play with it again this afternoon. I set it aside because I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  Thanks.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
Before you start to work on vehicles you will want to get your surface modifiers created first. This is another area that will drive you nuts if you get things out of order, and I believe that in the absence of a good sample the result may be counter-intuitive.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »
Challenge, are you developing a sound pack for AH3?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 12:22:40 PM »
Where have you been?  :D

Yes, and I'm still good on my promise to let you have any Jug first.

(EDIT): I have a film going up today to help explain the new process a little.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:24:13 PM by Chalenge »

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
Where have you been?  :D

Yes, and I'm still good on my promise to let you have any Jug first.

:aok
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »

And here it is as promised. This is the video I promised, not the Jug.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 04:53:22 AM »
And here it is as promised. This is the video I promised, not the Jug.

Deleted to add some additional information.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
Still Processing, but should be up and ready by 3:30pm CST.

Aces High 3 and FMOD. This video is intended to demonstrate the advantages of FMOD within the game development cycle, and to showcase just how the game is better now that this is included. FMOD is a really great addition to the game and should make it much, much easier for sound creators to produce and release sound packs.

I could, and probably will, make a longer video later, but I'm having too much fun working on this now. In fact, in the last couple of hours I have already doubled the amount of work I have accomplished and also streamlined production to make things even easier.