Author Topic: No Icon Free For All in TA!! It was great!  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
No Icon Free For All in TA!! It was great!
« on: May 02, 2000, 11:11:00 PM »
Guys,

As a change, Camo decided to head up an icon free, free for all at A14 in the TA this evening.  Im seeing all kinds of hoots and hollars about how great this was passing thru the text buffer so I figure what the heck...I'll just give it a shot and leave if I dont like it.  

Lemme tell ya...the lack of icons had a number of effects on the type of combat that occurred.  Since most of the planes blended into the terrain pretty well, sometimes it was safer to be low on the deck.  All of the fites were under 2K.  Nash and Fariz had a couple of nice strings going by staying low on the deck and looking for the surprise bounce from below.  

Secondly, it had a positive effect on gunnery.  Most people held their fire until real close (prolly 400 or closer) since you had no distance by which to guage lead.

Third, it had a profound effect on SA that you dont find in the arena.  You cant just look for that bit of red and then spot a distance guage to know what the enemy is doing.  You have to watch closely for other signs around him...but watch too long and you get bounced from behind  

Camo...<S> my bish Brother...FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC idea tonite.  THAT is my idea of fast and furious furballing!  And everyone else in there who took turns beating me like a drum...I'LL GET YOU MY PRETTIES!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!  

-Ding

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2000, 11:37:00 PM »
Yes big time fun. I did this with Zigrat, Citibria, and a number of other pilots yesterday at A1. The puckerfactor was very high. mucho fun.

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2000, 12:45:00 AM »
see!

it can be done and is a lot of fun too!  

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2000, 01:07:00 AM »
vv Citabria... it was a complete blast.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
NOOooo!!! But the human eye cannot differentiate! These proceedings must stop at once!

LOL!

Kill the icons!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2000, 01:24:00 AM »
people say that they blend to well on the deck... the camoflaged planes.

but I have a story...  

back when I was a line guy at the airport I was often in the local news helocopter riding along for kicks, the pilot used to be a line guy so he hooked us up  

one day we are covering this little one acre fire, 2 new choppers are already there hovering at our altitude, a twin engine baron spotter plane circling 1000 feet below us spotting the fire for the firemen on the ground, then a massive red firehawk (firefighting version of ARMY blackhawk) comes in and lands in a nearby clearing to set up their gear, while a bell jetranger with a bucket is dropping water on the fire as well, all the while this small trail of smoke is rising from the center of the action  

here is the part I find most interesting, The sherrif comes along in his green and white bell jetranger , the whole time I'm looking directly at him and he comes down lower and totally disapears right below us before our very eyes! no one above the sherrif can see him, everyone is asking where he disapeared to! and this was just shiny green paint making him blend in so well.

I always remember that one trip since it looked like somthing out of a war movie with all that action in one little place  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2000, 06:36:00 AM »
Heh 400 yards is not what I would consider close. It is in fact the absolute maximum range at which my guns are effective.

To me, medium distance is 300-250. Close 100-200. Very close 100 and below  .

Of course, I use German guns, so that explains it.

------------------
--
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2000, 06:53:00 AM »
hmmmm....sounds like more are discovering the concepts of a HA.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2000, 07:30:00 AM »
Been pulling a few late nights at the office lately... but I tried to pop in for a few in the TA.

No one wanted help when I got there. Suddenly I get a call for iconless FFA at A14. Hmmm. No one should be there by accident, there is much discussion about icons... why not?

So off I go. I grab a Nikki (the meanest, greenest plane) and proceed. The first couple of flights I make the mistake of allowing my silhouhette to be seen against the sky. After a tactical readjustment, I begin to live a little longer. Then the evil thought strikes me- 190!

This is where the Wurger excels. Fast and low, bang they're dead. It was fun!

I'm not about to sound the death knell for icons yet, but flying without them is at the very least a great exercise for the advanced pilot. Had fun guys!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2000, 07:32:00 AM »
Wow. Wish I'd known about this. Would have loved to have tried it out.

Was radar off so not to give away other aircraft  whenever it was looked at btw?

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 05-03-2000).]

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2000, 08:12:00 AM »
Actually Westy, the fite was so fast and furious that you really didnt have time to pull up a map to check dar.  Besides, since the fite was so low, most people did not show up on dar.

-Ding

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
Badger wrote:

"hmmmm....sounds like more are discovering the concepts of a HA"

Yep, the WB HA always seemed to degenerate into a low level furball.   Of course, it was a very historic low level furball.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
How about setting up a regular time (or times) at A14 for this to take place and posting those times.

Now before anyone laughs or pokes fun at the flight modeling, we had this sort of room in FA 1.5, the Advanced Real Arena.

It was cockpit views only, no tags and no radar and it was the most fun of all the arenas.  Those Luftwaffles were always hard to spot down low w/their paint scheme.  The YAK stood out like a sore thumb down low with its winter skin.

But it was always a blast, and the dogfights were always at knife-fighting range.

This room always sharpened the SA skills, flight modeling aside.

Cobra
Musketeer Escadrille

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2000, 11:37:00 AM »
I'l definately look for this type of setup and event from now on!

-Westy

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2000, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Dingy!    It really was a blast!  I hope we'll join in the TA for some more "no icons ffa"!

I noticed how accurate gunnery became the key issue.  If you managed to sneak up on someone, you had to get in close and kill him with one burst.  If you missed, he noticed you were there and no-more-free-kill...  

I would REALLY like to see a "no enemy icons" option with ALT-I.  We could all try it out and see if it would make a good feature for the future HA  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"