Author Topic: SSD & AHIII  (Read 603 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
SSD & AHIII
« on: October 08, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »
I have my OS on my SSD (Samsung Evo 840), along with AHIII.
Should I install AHIII on my HDD instead and just have my OS on the SSD? 
Just thinking that it may give my operating system a little breathing room...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: SSD & AHIII
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »
I do not think there is any benefit of having AH3 on an SSD. I use a HDD myself even with W10 on an SSD.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
Just gives you faster load times for the game is all.... I run mine off SSD.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 04:53:38 AM »
Skuzzy has said that installing AH on it might shorten the life span of the SSD, due to the amount of constant reading/writing of gaming data. Some active players have had the game on an SSD for years without issues, but why take the risk.

You won't gain a single FPS by having the game on an SSD, the only time saver would be the splash screen appearing faster. Some headroom on your OS disk is always a good option.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:59:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll move the game over to my HDD and see how things go.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 06:34:43 AM »
Running the game off an SSD could induce stutters in the game if you have skins downloading in the background.

The weakness of an SSD comes to when a file is to be updated or even change the name of a file.  On an HDD updates or name changes are much faster as HDD's can overwrite information.

When a skin comes down from the server, it is stored as a temporary file until the file can be verified.  The OS actions for this operation are about the same for either the SSD or HDD.  The difference comes when it is time to rename the file to its new name and put it in the skins folder.

SSD's cannot update information of a file.  A name change on an HDD is a very fast operation as it can change data stored on the disk.  An SSD has to read the original file into a temporary system RAM location.  Erase the original,  the write the entire file again, to its new name and location.  This takes a lot longer than an HDD does.  It could stall the game.

For those of you who are running Aces High III on your SSD, disable skin downloads.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »
Running the game off an SSD could induce stutters in the game if you have skins downloading in the background.

The weakness of an SSD comes to when a file is to be updated or even change the name of a file.  On an HDD updates or name changes are much faster as HDD's can overwrite information.

When a skin comes down from the server, it is stored as a temporary file until the file can be verified.  The OS actions for this operation are about the same for either the SSD or HDD.  The difference comes when it is time to rename the file to its new name and put it in the skins folder.

SSD's cannot update information of a file.  A name change on an HDD is a very fast operation as it can change data stored on the disk.  An SSD has to read the original file into a temporary system RAM location.  Erase the original,  the write the entire file again, to its new name and location.  This takes a lot longer than an HDD does.  It could stall the game.

For those of you who are running Aces High III on your SSD, disable skin downloads.

Hi Skuzzy,

Well said and just for the record, I've never allowed AH to download skins to my SSD's for this very reason.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd