Author Topic: FOVE headset  (Read 2026 times)

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
FOVE headset
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »
Anyone ordering one of these. It is a VR headset with eye tracking. I think it would require implementation in AH?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: FOVE headset
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 01:48:07 PM »
My understanding is the FOVE works with a smart phone!

I dont think a phone could run AH.... but I`m not 100% sure.

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
Anyone ordering one of these. It is a VR headset with eye tracking. I think it would require implementation in AH?

It says it works with steamvr which AH supports.

My understanding is the FOVE works with a smart phone!

I dont think a phone could run AH.... but I`m not 100% sure.

:salute

This is not a phone but I don't see the point of eye tracking vs head tracking.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »
---I don't see the point of eye tracking vs head tracking.

My driving teacher thought head movement was much more important than just rolling my eyeballs. That was in the late seventies so obviously things haven't changed. As for exercise, head tracking will build you a bull's neck whereas eye tracking might actually be better for your eyes. A combination of those two would be ideal, hopefully at that point the prices would suit my budget.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 04:24:40 PM »
Your eyes already scan in VR.  To see more you turn your head, just like when you drive.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
The benefit is that the resolution is better at the point you are looking at like in real life. This is a critical technology for future increases in resolution as it only requires max processing at the place where the eyes are looking.

Terry

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
The benefit is that the resolution is better at the point you are looking at like in real life. This is a critical technology for future increases in resolution as it only requires max processing at the place where the eyes are looking.

Terry

That is not true, the headset acts like real life. Eye tracking is just weird, guaranty you it will make you sick as a dog.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
That is not true, the headset acts like real life. Eye tracking is just weird, guaranty you it will make you sick as a dog.

I think you need to do a little more research

http://www.roadtovr.com/michael-abrash-explores-next-5-years-vr-technology/

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »

Terry

So the eye tracking is a fix for hardware limitations for better resolution. Head tracking will still be done separately by the headset.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »
I think you need to do a little more research

http://www.roadtovr.com/michael-abrash-explores-next-5-years-vr-technology/

Yeah nah, I've been using VR headsets since the early 90s I think I have a vague idea ;)  . Eyetracking will be useful for a very limited number of things (such as target acquisition). It may be more useful IRL than in VR (probably in AR). Eye tracking for view slewing will cause problems because IRL you head does not re-orientate with eye movememt. Eyetracking started development before wide FoV headsets were available.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:42:42 AM »
Yeah nah, I've been using VR headsets since the early 90s I think I have a vague idea ;)  . Eyetracking will be useful for a very limited number of things (such as target acquisition). It may be more useful IRL than in VR (probably in AR). Eye tracking for view slewing will cause problems because IRL you head does not re-orientate with eye movememt. Eyetracking started development before wide FoV headsets were available.

I am glad you know more than the top tech guy at Oculus who said it was a critical element to future increases in resolution. It is about the computing power to drive higher resolutions not the "tracking part" although that has possibilities.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »
So the eye tracking is a fix for hardware limitations for better resolution. Head tracking will still be done separately by the headset.

Correct. Eye tracking could also have uses in targeting in some games like shooters.