Author Topic: Does anyone use rift??  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Does anyone use rift??
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
For what it is worth.  I can wear my glasses with the Rift.  They are the smaller lenses though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »

VERY easy to setup, you probably won't have to make a call. There's a whole thing that steps you through the setup and checks that every thing is working step by step and then it just works with Aces high.

Also I use reading glasses as well now... :old:  and I don't need them at all with the rift so you may or you may not. But people do wear glasses with it and have no issues.

putting it on my xmas list.  but first how hard is it to set up.  is it like a joystick?  or more like I have to call skuzzy 200 times.

semp

also i need reading glasses.  will I still be able to use them or go blind without them?
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
One more thing, you might get a small fan to blow on your face in your eye area while you use them. It can get fairly warm in there.

something like this:

http://www.kmart.com/kenmore-4inch-metal-desktop-fan-black-32040/p-03232040000P?plpSellerId=Kmart&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

it helps against the heat/ fogging /motion sickness.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »
How do you interact with the keyboard / mouse?  If the thing is covering your eyes how can you also look at the real world surrounding you?

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
there is a small gap along the nose area that you can see out.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »
There are lots of companies making Rift/Vive/VR specific glasses out there - for a hundred dollars or less, some of them, you can get specific prescription lenses made to fit exactly into your headset.  I do what Skuzzy does when I wear mine, my script hasn't changed much in the last 6 years, and I have a number of pairs that are made with narrow frames specifically to fit under goggles, and they work great in the Rift.  A tip I picked up from someone here is get one of those cheap fans with the clamps, and point it towards your head while flying, if you have any issues with lens fogging, this fixes it pronto.  Contacts work fine in the VR units too, and that's what I typically use.  My script isn't all that strong, in the low 2's both eyes, yet without them, it's pretty hard to see without squinting in VR (I'm near sighted). 

Pretty telling about HTC and Rift CS calls - I have about 40 VR games now, and the vast majority are for the Rifts, my Vives sit pretty idle, in fact there is only one game I play regularly with the Vive, and that's Onward.  IMO HTC has the best flight sim/cockpit VR game out there, plus incorporating the view system the way they did is something other large jet games haven't figured out yet, putting you at a massive disadvantage in dogfights in VR in those other games.  Combining the hat/keypad views with VR works perfectly in VR in AH3 IMO.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:25:21 PM by Gman »

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
how the eff do you toggle it on?? I have a rift installed and its been working for other games, but i cant figure out how to enable it for AH3. Im running the DX11 version.

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:32 PM »
nevermind...my USB ports got screwed up and i had to reboot...seems to work now.  :D

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 11:29:41 PM »
BigR, how do you feel the rift affects your ability to fight, compared to using a regular monitor and/or TrackIR if you used that?  Do you feel your SA and lethality/shooting, and ability to keep track of your target and other threats is about the same?  I'm real interested to hear what some other pilots who've played a long time feel about this in particular, it's obvious that it has a great "wow" factor, but in terms of actual gameplay, it'd be nice to hear what vets thing.  Not just for new players either, but for other vets considering making the VR jump.

IMO Vr is the future for this game and others, and the way forward is more and more players making the switch to VR.  This will drive costs down hopefully, and also drive tech forward - my only complaint now with this game and others is that the resolution/quality takes a hit, I've been spoiled with 4k and 1440p 165hz gaming monitors, and dropping to 90fps as well as a quality drop...A 1440p, or someday 4k VR headset that will run a 100+hz/fps pair of screens would = me getting rid of all my monitors except one for desktop tasks and non VR games.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
I was thinking the same,  i am happy with trackir,  is rift a big step up or really the same but different?

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »
Yes

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
I cannot play AH without a VR headset now.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
Friend lent me a DK2 unitand it works with AH3 without any setup hassle at all. Looks really good. Sometimes I find things hard to focus on, is there something I can do or is that the limitations of the lo-res DK2? Also, the AH3 zoom function does funny things to scales. Still, really happy with how it play, might try and get in the skies again soon.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
I'm real interested to hear what some other pilots who've played a long time feel about this in particular, it's obvious that it has a great "wow" factor, but in terms of actual gameplay, it'd be nice to hear what vets thing.

It's probably much as you'd imagine:  The Aces High VR experience is simply astounding and the 3D cockpits are just beautiful.  In the mayhem of a Melee or Late War arena I'll feel disadvantaged without hi-res snap views, etc.  The standard monitor provides me with more situational awareness...

...but in a duel or one-on-one situation the VR offers a more intuitive (instinctive) grasp of the space around you.  You can lean over and see the guy below you, etc.
with a better sense of where the other guy is headed, etc.

And, hey!  You ain't gone unconscious until you black out in VR with blood on the windows!

regards,

Airman T. E. Shaw

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »
Just pulled the plug and bought one.  Being in Australia I am sure it will take a week or so to get here and I am moving home so will likely not get a really good go at it for a month or so.

Will be interesting to see if I am better, worse or the same in terms of lethality and of course it will be fun to find out if it is better, worse or the same in terms of fun had in game.