Author Topic: Ok we need your help here.  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Ok we need your help here.
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:19:02 PM »
With the squad commitment levels. It's very important that the registered FSO squads show up with the # of players they are supposed to. As always we get that real life happens...but we are asking for squad leaders to try their best to get the bodies in there as needed. Frame 1 of "Tumult over Guadalcanal" had the Axis down by almost 30 pilots...that's not good. That's not singling anybody out...I am just showing what can happen when #s get out of whack.  :(

We will be emailing any squad that goes under or over the commit levels as a reminder.

Squads that pull no shows...I was never a big "drop the hammer" guy...not my style but I will have to remove squads that do this. It's just too disruptive.

...As always the vast majority of you do a VERY good job of reaching the FSO #s frame to frame...without you there is no FSO. So our thanks as always!

:salute
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Re: Ok we need your help here.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »
All for the hammer.  :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »
As a planner you need to account for the fact that PTO=LOWER AXIS TURN OUT

I am a dedicated AXIS player and I show up. I do not get excited to fly a rice paper airplane that catches fire with a single ping. I do not like flying a plane with only bullets that don't seem to do crap to sturdy blue planes. I DO NOT LIKE PTO. It is usually a single run across blue sea and no return flight.

On the plus side, it makes for a short night.

I have had some great nights though and some fun. Like I said I show up and fly what ever plane we get. But I have no life and you cannot kill that which has no life!   :rofl

A lot of guys don't show for rice paper.

Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 12:01:32 AM »
Pigs are committed.

:salute
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 12:37:25 AM »
Squire:

My comments, I have always believed that turnout was driven by the setup and the effort and orders put out by the CIC's.  Good setups and good orders normally equal good nights which drive attendance and fun for all.  As a CO and CIC planner I do my part as best I can to help.

This setup is among the worst, ever.  Not the scenario, the setup.  I would say that any experienced FSO pilot could have predicted the outcome of Frame 01 a week before it happened, yet we flew and it played out in a predictable manner.  There was nothing good about the setup from the side allocations to the plane sets, targets and further AC min max restrictions.  The same mistakes continue to play out, two many targets to attack and defend, to many restrictions on AC mins and max's.  Did the Setup guys even count the available AXIS side predictable turnout numbers against the min max AC setup?  For the last few scenario frames the AXIS turnout has been running about 75-95.  Basically you allowed me to plan about 16% of my available AC strength, the remainder over 80% was dictated by the setup.  To many targets means small fights which no one likes.  And no one likes flying one way missions.  I had no force structure for recon, deception or reserves.  As a guy that loves to plan these operations there wasn't much I could do, you guys did it and restricted the remainder.  Lastly the point setup further pushed the outcome that you see in the plans.  All setup issues.  And all very fixable.

So ejecting squads for low turn outs will not help the FSO community to grow.  I do agree with ejecting a squad that hasn't shown up for several frames, and yes we all see that and know who.

If you want to grow this you CM's need to use the best scenario's and the very best setups to save whats left.  The numbers continue to drop.

Whatever happened to the month of Dec being the "What If scenario month".  Remember BOB 46'?  How about B-29's in the 8th AF over Germany in 46', that would be a hoot.  It would be different and fun and most important "NEW".  We need more thinking outside of the box not ejecting pilots and squads in opinion. 

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:52:55 AM »
Squire:

My comments, I have always believed that turnout was driven by the setup and the effort and orders put out by the CIC's.  Good setups and good orders normally equal good nights which drive attendance and fun for all.  As a CO and CIC planner I do my part as best I can to help.

This setup is among the worst, ever.  Not the scenario, the setup.  I would say that any experienced FSO pilot could have predicted the outcome of Frame 01 a week before it happened, yet we flew and it played out in a predictable manner.  There was nothing good about the setup from the side allocations to the plane sets, targets and further AC min max restrictions.  The same mistakes continue to play out, two many targets to attack and defend, to many restrictions on AC mins and max's.  Did the Setup guys even count the available AXIS side predictable turnout numbers against the min max AC setup?  For the last few scenario frames the AXIS turnout has been running about 75-95.  Basically you allowed me to plan about 16% of my available AC strength, the remainder over 80% was dictated by the setup.  To many targets means small fights which no one likes.  And no one likes flying one way missions.  I had no force structure for recon, deception or reserves.  As a guy that loves to plan these operations there wasn't much I could do, you guys did it and restricted the remainder.  Lastly the point setup further pushed the outcome that you see in the plans.  All setup issues.  And all very fixable.

So ejecting squads for low turn outs will not help the FSO community to grow.  I do agree with ejecting a squad that hasn't shown up for several frames, and yes we all see that and know who.

If you want to grow this you CM's need to use the best scenario's and the very best setups to save whats left.  The numbers continue to drop.

Whatever happened to the month of Dec being the "What If scenario month".  Remember BOB 46'?  How about B-29's in the 8th AF over Germany in 46', that would be a hoot.  It would be different and fun and most important "NEW".  We need more thinking outside of the box not ejecting pilots and squads in opinion.
18 pigs sat over A4-C67 area waiting for AXIS to do THEIR part for an hour and 45 minutes. Throwing that out there just so AXIS understand just because you don't like the setup or what not...just go with it so EVERYONE gets some action...then handle it afterward with a discussion...don't force your suckage situation on the rest of the participants...suck it up, deal with it later.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:03:21 AM »
18 pigs sat over A4-C67 area waiting for AXIS to do THEIR part for an hour and 45 minutes. Throwing that out there just so AXIS understand just because you don't like the setup or what not...just go with it so EVERYONE gets some action...then handle it afterward with a discussion...don't force your suckage situation on the rest of the participants...suck it up, deal with it later.

Logs show C67 hit at T+40.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
JG54 shows up no matter what. we always try to make our numbers and adjust them as necessary.

as for the hammer, not for it, because that's why people leave. too many pretend hard butts as it is. 

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »
All hail the 325th VFG!

Your exploits during this FSO really showed everyone what you were made of.

Axis showed with 7 Bettys and a pair of Vals (courtesy of the 327th Steel Talons).

The dedicated bombers were held back and never saw combat.

Instead the Axis put bomblets on Ki-43's and called it good. :banana:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:38:33 AM by Flavel »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
Logs show C67 hit at T+40.
That garbage shouldn't even count...we were still in our standby area waiting for the main attack force....which if I'm readin this right...went on a Friday night stroll....

Explain what the Bettys did Vulcan....
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »
The Title of the Post and OP from a FSO CM is asking for help from the FSO Community.

The logs for Frame 2 shows :

325th VFG 
CUTT
22:03:10 Departed from Field #14 in a G4M1 Model 11
22:30:11 Arrived Safely at Field #17
ImADot
22:02:55 Departed from Field #14 in a G4M1 Model 11
22:34:10 Arrived Safely at Field #17
Kuhn
22:33:43 Arrived Safely at Field #17
lowtec
22:38:20 Arrived Safely at Field #17
swoop73
22:03:08 Departed from Field #14 in a G4M1 Model 11
22:35:40 Arrived Safely at Field #20
tommygun
22:03:11 Departed from Field #14 in a G4M1 Model 11
22:32:57 Arrived Safely at Field #17
Viper61
22:03:11 Departed from Field #14 in a G4M1 Model 11
22:34:33 Arrived Safely at Field #17

and

327th Steel Talons 
KOOL
22:03:14 Departed from Field #14 in a D3A1
22:22:17 Arrived Safely at Field #12
Newman
22:03:12 Departed from Field #14 in a D3A1
22:22:16 Arrived Safely at Field #12

Side Assignments for this Setup also shows

325th VFG  Viper61  7 - 10  Axis  Yes, FRAME 2 on 2016-12-09  fighter
fighter
fighter
327th Steel Talons  KOOL  4 - 6  Axis  Yes, FRAME 3 on 2016-12-16  Fighter, Bomber
Fighter, Bomber
Fighter, Bomber

The Allied Team was asking where the Bettys and D3s were? No one had spotted them. Our thinking was that the Axis CIC had used JABO attacks for initial objective satisfaction. Then, hold the bombers for later attack when Allied strength was considerably lower.

No second wave of bombers ever appeared. The logs tell the story.

No negative implications waved towards Viper. I understand his reasoning from his post.  He saved his planes from being shot down in a bad situation brought about by turnout.  As a former CIC, I applaud his decision.

The CMs are asking for help. Seems they might need some positive feedback.  I can sum this up real simple.

Just a bad night. Leave it at that.

They are working with the best experience with this event.  The CMs know what they are doing. The Squad COs know what they are doing. The CICs know what they are doing.

If you have never been a CIC planner, then you will not know how difficult it can be to create Orders on the occasional bad turnout. 

Why do some Squads and individual pilots refuse to fly certain aircraft?

Answer : They spend 99% of their time in LW MA and now Melee Arena flying the best of the best.  Normally, that is what is needed to survive for enjoyable play.  The old EW and MW arenas allowed for better use of the old LW hangar queens.

The vast majority of FSO veteran pilots are now experts at gameplay.  We know what we are doing in the AC.

How can we help?

We as the FSO community to keep flying what we are assigned and do our part.  See what fortune favors?

How can the complainers help?

Volunteer to be a CM and solve the problems they see.  The FSO community will be appreciative.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
Cowards in a video game....and people say I got the ego.

:bolt:
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »
Cowards in a video game....and people say I got the ego.

:bolt:

That is very inflammatory coming from a CM in Training.  Are you part of the Pigs FSO Command Team?

You were very vocal on text during Frame 2. The intent of FSO is to fight. The other side of the intent is to win.

Have you planned as a CIC al by yourself?
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
From the FSO rules...

CIC's are expected to construct their orders in such a way that all initial attack aircraft reach their targets by T+60.

All initial attack aircraft. To me that would mean all aircraft carrying ords and ordered to attack should be attacking within T+60. Not attacking a target would be a violation of this rule IMO.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
Please don't kick us out of FSO for bringing too many again this week... :banana:

Having all my guys showing up and a few extra friends made our night awesome... :rock

I'll up our preference for January...and I expect to be put back Axis... :noid

I for one am a huge fan of PTO....and was highly disappointed by getting banished to the Allied side...but we always show up...we might only have 2 guys show up but at least someone will be there  :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde