Author Topic: Ewww...What does THIS button do???  (Read 823 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Ewww...What does THIS button do???
« on: December 12, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
That's a "Dexter's Laboratory" reference, for those who didn't catch it. So first, thanks very much to the AKs for letting me join in the FSO fun last Friday. Appreciated the invite. So, I'm flying Allies, in a F4F, two droptanks and 50% fuel; the "Slot" map. We're launching from A4; we all jump to the runway, and I reach around my throttle to flip the engine start switch on my TM Warthog. Great piece of gear, with about a gazillion buttons, levers, switches, etc.  :joystick:  :headscratch: Nothing happens. Now, I should mention that I'd been out of AH for a while (like, over a year), and hadn't remapped any of my buttons. I realize I flipped the wrong toggle switch, and reaching a little further back, I find the right one and get the engine running. We head roughly north to set up a fighter picket line west of our nearest CV, C57.  :airplane: We climb out to around 20K, and spend the next 30 minutes or so drilling holes in the sky, looking for the Japanese. I check my E6B early into the flight to see how much endurance I have (plenty), and don't give it any more thought. I'm concentrating furiously on staying in formation while scanning the skies. I'm eager to show how professional I am, and show the AKs how well this retired USAF dude can hang with them.

Finally, calls of "Tally Ho" ring out. Arrayed 6 or 7 thousand feet below us is a formation of a dozen or more Ki-43's, motoring along fat, dumb, and happy. "Jettison tanks", our flight leader calls. I comply instantly, and push over into a dive with the rest of our group. Seconds later, through the roar of the wind screaming past my canopy, comes the unmistakable sound of my radial engine sputtering to a halt, the propeller quickly slowing. A glance down at my fuel gauge tells the tail...I am out of gas! I make one half-hearted gun pass at a Ki, which nimbly jinks out of the way, and just continue on down, aiming for a nearby island's white sand beach. I flop unceremoniously into the water just shy of the beach, bobbing up and down in the surf. "How the H E double-hockey-sticks did this happen?" I ask myself. I radio that I'm out of gas and down. The comments are mercifully sympathetic, though a few chuckles managed to find their way through the radio static.

Back in the tower, I try to figure out what happened. I don't even remember what key stroke is used for manual fuel tank switching, and don't remember hitting any keys that weren't part of a radio message. So, I painstakingly go through the switches one by one on my joystick and throttle, in the "map controllers". Finally, I find it; there it is, the toggle switch just above the engine start switch! The one I accidentally hit when trying to start my engine. :bhead Proving an old adage I just made up: "You're never too old to be a rookie!" Ah, well...there's always Jet Week.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Ewww...What does THIS button do???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
ROFL!  Sorry, but I gotta laugh.  I can because I have done similar things.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
That's classic! I have done if few of those user error ones before. But you should have claimed a single ping engine seize and hope no one was filming lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
 :rofl

Yep I've done things like that too!
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
I refueled / reloaded during an FSO a few years back.  Took off with the squad, out in the middle of nowhere...................and ..................cough cough cough.....................eng ine dies.

Fuel gauge zero.  Looking back at the text buffer it seems I got a bit too impatient and rolled before it was actually refueled.   Ditched.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »
I once played around with remapping my primary/secondary trigger buttons...decided I didn't like it and switched back. During an FSO mission, I was halfway to target and couldn't remember if I switched back to my old layout - didn't want to get over the target and fail to pickle the bombs properly. So I bring up the map controllers screen, and push my secondary fire button to have the selection jump to show me the assigned function. Instantly I hear the click and whistle of my single large bomb falling off of the external hardpoint.

Over the target, I could only drop a couple of tiny bombs, having bombed a large hole in the ocean some 20 minutes earlier.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
Hehehe damn that sucks!! Tough luck!!

I will say, just make sure for now on you check to see if it's white or orange on the gas meter. Orange means it will manually only burn that tank and not auto switch. White means it will auto switch, but won't have to worry about messing with it.

:aok
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
My most recent moment of stupidity in FSO involved a necessary trip to the head on climbout to target.  Autopilot wingman mode, check, stand up from chair, and walk away.

When I arrived back, the tower greeted me.  Apparently I'd bumped the stick on the way by and just drifted off to crash horribly.  I was deeply saddened.

Especially since the HUD has that handy "AP mode" item on it...  Definitely will be doublechecking that in the future once I'm clear of my gear.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
^^ this is what I like to see in the forums^^ stories like this. no arguing-no name calling, just fun stuff :salute
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
Welcome back Sabre, how's the music business treating you?  :azn:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
I once flew for an hour and 1/2 in my tbm in fso to drop torpedoes on a cv, except i forgot to load torpedoes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
I once flew for an hour and 1/2 in my tbm in fso to drop torpedoes on a cv, except i forgot to load torpedoes.

semp

:rofl

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 11:25:50 PM »
^^ this is what I like to see in the forums^^ stories like this. no arguing-no name calling, just fun stuff :salute
+1... Even tho I don't like lunatic..jk bro lol
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 05:12:12 AM »
I felt so bad for you Sabre. Can't tell you how many times someone brought bombs instead of drop tanks (or the other way around)

My offer still stands, let's do it again this Friday.  :salute
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:14:59 AM by Scca »
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »
I felt so bad for you Sabre. Can't tell you how many times someone brought bombs instead of drop tanks (or the other way around)

My offer still stands, let's do it again this Friday.  :salute

Thanks, Scca, but that's not the dumbest thing I've ever done in AH, not by a long shot. And I'll definitely try to make this Friday.

Frenchy, thanks. The music biz has it's ups and down. My band and I were starting to get some traction locally, then suffered some interpersonal drama. I think that's probably why most of the big names, at least in the country music scene, are solo acts. Still fighting the good fight. They say that behind every overnight success in the music industry there's 10 years of hard work. I started this in 2007, so I guess I'm about due. :pray
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."