Author Topic: Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:45:02 AM »
Just curious....I got the GV part of the sounds.....I can even understand muffled explosions when landing or taking off..

But for those who fly, the sound of your own engine PLUS wind noise pretty much drowns out everything else. 

Flew up behind a guy the other night who shouldn't have been able to see me (low six approach) and as I got close, he pushed over hard.....His comment was "never saw ya, but I heard you getting close!" 

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »
I suspect it's a hat tip to folks like me who attended the Stevie Wonder School of Situational Awareness.   :devil

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
It is why I would chop throttle.   No need for a thread afterward.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »

Great reply.....said no one ever. 

Really...Go to stealth mode, including sound...ROFLMAO!  WoW!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
Great reply.....said no one ever. 

Really...Go to stealth mode, including sound...ROFLMAO!  WoW!

Jump to conclusions more.   I was talking about going in on a con.   But keep swinging champ.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:16:45 AM »

You don't think it's a legitimate standpoint that it's a bit silly to hear an enemy aircraft approaching from 800 yards from inside a WWII aircraft running at full throttle?

Dobs- Last time I saw it come up, there was a lot of pushback from people not wanting to listen to their engine drone all day while flying.  Basically it's not realistic, but it's fun was the view.  Have never seen HT say anything about it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »
You don't think it's a legitimate standpoint that it's a bit silly to hear an enemy aircraft approaching from 800 yards from inside a WWII aircraft running at full throttle?

Dobs- Last time I saw it come up, there was a lot of pushback from people not wanting to listen to their engine drone all day while flying.  Basically it's not realistic, but it's fun was the view.  Have never seen HT say anything about it.

Wiley.

I would cut throttle in dives.  Apparently I am the only one who did it regularly.   But I was on the hats at all times saw them long before I heard them.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
"Basically it's not realistic, but it's fun was the view."

Thanks Wiley....figured it was addressed in the past. At least we don't have external view enabled so guys can fly around "outside their aircraft".

Masherbrum....while mind reading is rumored to exist, I find myself sadly lacking in the ability to read minds through a post. Go re-read your post.....cutting throttle when intending to anchor...yes....   Cutting thottle if planning on BnZ...no.

In theory, if he doesn't see you coming, (and hear you in this case) it is a moot point because he is dead.

Cheers!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
I would cut throttle in dives.  Apparently I am the only one who did it regularly.   But I was on the hats at all times saw them long before I heard them.

Occasionally when I'm in the Zoneysphere I'll see a guy at 20k not looking up.  I had never tested to see if cutting throttle makes a difference.  If the setup's right I usually just kill the engine and feather the prop for the bounce.

Cheesy?  Yes.  So is him being able to hear me.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
"Basically it's not realistic, but it's fun was the view."

Thanks Wiley....figured it was addressed in the past. At least we don't have external view enabled so guys can fly around "outside their aircraft".

Masherbrum....while mind reading is rumored to exist, I find myself sadly lacking in the ability to read minds through a post. Go re-read your post.....cutting throttle when intending to anchor...yes....   Cutting thottle if planning on BnZ...no.

In theory, if he doesn't see you coming, (and hear you in this case) it is a moot point because he is dead.

Cheers!

Situational Awareness is paramount to in game sounds.   I listened to music as it kept me always known the hats, even in fights.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Occasionally when I'm in the Zoneysphere I'll see a guy at 20k not looking up.  I had never tested to see if cutting throttle makes a difference.  If the setup's right I usually just kill the engine and feather the prop for the bounce.

Cheesy?  Yes.  So is him being able to hear me.

Wiley.

They sound is adjustable because we hear it through our headset. In reality your headset would muffle your own engines too so that you could communicate.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
They sound is adjustable because we hear it through our headset. In reality your headset would muffle your own engines too so that you could communicate.

I would bet that more than 50% of the player base, turns down the wind and engine sound.   Fessing up to it, would be an entirely different story.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
I would bet that more than 50% of the player base, turns down the wind and engine sound.   Fessing up to it, would be an entirely different story.

If memory serves, I haven't looked since early beta, but aren't all engine sounds tied together now?  No self engine/enemy engine independent adjustment?

About the only thing I can recall tweaking was everything vs vox so I could hear the guys on the radio.

I'd bet that only about 20% of the player base know where to adjust the sounds.  Of them, I have no trouble believing your 50% estimate.

Shuffler- I've often wondered if you'd even really hear bullets hitting your airframe depending on what they hit.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »
If memory serves, I haven't looked since early beta, but aren't all engine sounds tied together now?  No self engine/enemy engine independent adjustment?

About the only thing I can recall tweaking was everything vs vox so I could hear the guys on the radio.

I'd bet that only about 20% of the player base know where to adjust the sounds.  Of them, I have no trouble believing your 50% estimate.

Shuffler- I've often wondered if you'd even really hear bullets hitting your airframe depending on what they hit.

Wiley.

I haven't played Aces High 3, since Alpha.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »

I have my "other engines" or whatever it is at 75% and I have the "your engine" set to like 25%....during FSO I have to turn the other engines down to less than 50% due to flying close together...at 75% if someone is hanging close to you, you can't hear vox or vent...if there are more than 3 people real close at 75% your ears start bleeding  :uhoh
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde