Author Topic: Rift VR graphics settings in game  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Rift VR graphics settings in game
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
Vulcan posted about setting the resolution to 2160 x 1200 in another post, something I hadn't even known about and had it set to something else (haven't really noticed a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one).  Makes me wonder what else I'm missing as there isn't an official optimal settings list.

So, for high power gaming systems, what is the consensus of what the best settings are?  I've experimented a lot with 4096 down to 512 for the out of game video setting for texture size, and in game settings of various levels of the reflection/environment setting from off to max, shadows on/off, Anti Aliasing on/off, as well as the other stuff in that 4 check box column.  Also tried various slider positions on the main detail level.  It's difficult to see the results as the box that shows the frames per second now is almost hidden and straight down, and I can't seem to grab it to move it back to where it used to be up top, but I find with even 1080SLI/fast CPU systems, I can get dragged into that 45 fps range if I have some things on.

I'd be interested to start a thread where various players with various systems can suggest what the best settings for the Rift (or Vive) are for them, and what the effects are.  I can't seem to decide what I should be doing here with all the settings, I have the res set to Vulcan's suggestion, the textures at 1024 as that stopped the issue Vulcan mentioned about changing his to 512, and I have the in game shadows off, AA and all that on, environment at 1, and the details turned up except trees turned down a bit.

I still find I can't see hit sprites, tonight playing I didn't see a single one that I can recall, just damage and parts flying off targets.  Anyone else notice this and have suggestions on settings?

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Re: Rift VR graphics settings in game
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:33:13 AM »
Virtual reality in AH?...You mean Track IR?...I saw Vive at the store being demoed,it required cameras and a large area.My kid loved it though(
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:42:28 AM »
Read the other thread on VR...Hmmm..I just got my new 4ghz 1080gtx today and was looking at 4k monitors but now going to investigate Rift VR.. :airplane:
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »
My understanding is that the rift controls the resolution for the rift regardless of what resolution you set in game. I'm very new at this so still understand little. I did play around with the SDK and the pixels per display override to good effect.

http://www.roadtovr.com/improve-oculus-rift-game-image-quality-using-this-tool-oculus-debug-tool/
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
Same here Iron, in some games (DCS) you can set the pixel density in the game without using the SDK.  What ratio are you using for AH3 if you don't mind answering, and what video card with that?  Have you experimented with having the in game Anti Alias on/off with various SDK density ratio settings?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:42:41 PM by Gman »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
I have a GTX 970 Gman (pretty much entry level for this). I haven't gotten AH3 to work in the Oculus yet. VR is not disabled. Is there a trick to it.

I did do some low level flying in a Huey in a game whose name I won't mention using pixel density 1.3 and wow, whole 'nother sim.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
I was running the DX9 version, I see it now.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
I still find I can't see hit sprites, tonight playing I didn't see a single one that I can recall, just damage and parts flying off targets.  Anyone else notice this and have suggestions on settings?

It's a bit odd, I see them no problem. AH3 itself did make hit sprites smaller.

Biggest tip I can give anyone using VR... have a fan blowing on your face. It stops lens fogging, helps with motion sickness, and keeps you cool (long periods of play with a dive mask on your face creates a lot of heat).

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »
We should probably keep all the oculus rift info in the same thread so we can all find it easily instead of search all over for it.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »

I also messed around with the SDK and it seemed possibly slighly better? not sure I'd have to do more testing.
But that's the method I'd also heard of to give more resolution.

My understanding is that the rift controls the resolution for the rift regardless of what resolution you set in game. I'm very new at this so still understand little. I did play around with the SDK and the pixels per display override to good effect.

http://www.roadtovr.com/improve-oculus-rift-game-image-quality-using-this-tool-oculus-debug-tool/
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
Are there no drones circling the field in VR?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
I think one of the updates grounded the drones in VR. You can select and enable them from the clipboard under options/arena setup/offline drones.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »
Anyone else not able to move the radio box which shows the players in range/etc and not have it stay?  The purple/pink player name that shows up when someone in range transmits is way up in the sky for me, I can only see it looking straight up pretty much, and can't move it.  Also, when you hit the "/" key, the box that contains the player names in range is way up there too, and no matter how many times/places I drag it down lower to where I can see it when looking straight ahead, it always ends up back in its original place.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Yep, not the part you type in but the part that shows everyone's names.. Also the boxes that allow you to join missions and the R when recording are all way up there and are either un-dragable or do not stay after they are moved.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.