Author Topic: 2017 Challenge Series - Scoring Categories  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
2017 Challenge Series - Scoring Categories
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
There will be a change in the 2017 scoring for squads. Here is the list of leaderboards that will be recorded in 2017.

Last challenge in 2015, There was discussion about leveling the playing field for all sized squads and we have implemented that change into the scoring. It will average the kills over your entire squad. You must have a minimum of 4 pilots per challenge to compete in this scoring category.

These will be the categories in 2017.

OVERALL, ALLIED, AND AXIS PILOT POINTS
OVERALL, ALLIED, AND AXIS PILOT KILLS
ALLIED SQUAD KILLS PER PILOT
AXIS SQUAD KILLS PER PILOT
OVERALL PILOT KILLS TO DEATHS
OVERALL SQUAD KILLS TO DEATHS
OVERALL BEST LANDED SORTIE

Pilot awards will be 1,000 Perks for First, 500 for Second and 250 for Third.

Squad Awards will be awarded by player - 100 Perks per pilot for First, 50 for Second and 25 for third.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: 2017 Challenge Series - Scoring Categories
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
I am curious about the squad scoring changes.  What is to stop 4 crack sticks from forming their own squad for the sole purpose of cleaning up?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
I am curious about the squad scoring changes.  What is to stop 4 crack sticks from forming their own squad for the sole purpose of cleaning up?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...interesting.

If there is a need, maybe only FSO squads and the normal members in those squads should be counted.  I'm not sure what you suggest could happen would actually be a problem however.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
They would have to be a registered squad in FSO. If they do that .... NOTHING would stop them. But get those "4 crack sticks" to agree to join a squad.... Together and NOT shoot each other   :rofl
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 04:41:36 AM »
They would have to be a registered squad in FSO. If they do that .... NOTHING would stop them. But get those "4 crack sticks" to agree to join a squad.... Together and NOT shoot each other   :rofl
Not true. Combat challenge has nothing to do with FSO.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »
What keeps a larger squad from splitting into 2 or 3 four man squads just for purposes of cleaning up...

So by averaging if I field 8 guys and have 125 kills 8/125=15.6 for my squad kill total????
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
What keeps a larger squad from splitting into 2 or 3 four man squads just for purposes of cleaning up...

So by averaging if I field 8 guys and have 125 kills 8/125=15.6 for my squad kill total????

Then I suppose the question might be, "Should it?".

Respectfully sir  :salute
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:50:17 AM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
The idea is to allow squads of all sizes to compete in the squad competition fairly. The first two competitions certainly favored larger squads like the AKs,  JG11 and the Unforgiven.

I also had the idea of eliminating the squad challenge completely,  making  it solely a pilots competition.

I also had the idea of making it a 4 pilot challenge only. But that's kind of unfair to large squads that want to participate in their entirety.

One thing I don't really want do is open more scoring categories, but I guess we could have an overall category and squad kills per pilot, however the odds of a squad winning both is pretty good.

It's pretty simple either way.  Shoot down bad guys. :)
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
You are doing a great job with it Nef.  My opinion and suggestion is without merit.

Focusing on score never comes out well, it's the fun and the fight that counts, and of those two things, there is plenty.

I'm really enjoying playing it.

"Squad Challenge", ranks right up there with the "FSO".  Completely different and yet the same.  Grab your squaddies, work as a team, have some great fights and a lot of fun!
Wag more, bark less.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
Nef,

I hope this makes sense.

Why can we not have several categories by squad size then by Axis or Allied?

Squad Sizes:

4 - 6 Axis
4 - 6 Allied

7 - 11 Axis
7 - 11 Allied

12 - 21 Axis
12 - 21 Allied

You register your squad at the beginning of the year for one category. You have essentially committed to that number for the year. Example, you register the Blue Barons in the 7 - 10 category Axis for the year. You may participate in any category, on either side, but lack of consistency will kill your score.

Now, events conspire to shrink your squad size for several months.

Cumulative score would only count in the category that your squad has the numbers for and participates in. If you fly 7 - 10 for 6 months Axis and then fly 4 - 6 for the remaining 6 months Allied, your scoring would only apply to the categories that you had the numbers for and participated in; no carry over. No splitting number as well. If the majority of your squad is flying Axis and a few are fly Allied, then Allied score will not count in the category that will be scored. Those guys are flying for nothing. A split where half are Axis and half are Allied would not be scored at all.

If a squad manages to maintain their numbers and not go over for the year then it is more likely that their cumulative overall score will be better because they maintained their minimum numbers in that category throughout the year.

Essentially, if you don't keep your minimum number up, you efforts will have been for not in that category. Score is not transferable from one category to the next. If your number decrease, you essentially start over in whatever category you step down to.

Awards would be given based on the categories;

4 - 6 Axis High Score
4 - 6 Allied High Score

7 - 11 Axis High Score
7 - 11 Allied High Score

12 - 21 Axis High Score
12 - 21 Allied High Score

Highest Scoring Squad for 2017

Highest Scoring Axis pilot
Highest Scoring Allied pilot

2nd place Axis
2nd place Allied

3rd place Axis
3rd place Allied

This process is fair to all based on what your squad has committed to for the CC season.
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 08:58:31 AM »
Is there any interest in using registration numbers like swareiam has brought up? I'm Not really interested in the additional work of placing squads after each challenge in their respective numbers group.

At this point,  if I wasn't a CM I would suggest to make it a pilots competition only. I would also suggest expanding the awards in a pilots only competition to say the top 10 pilots of each side.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
I would rather it be a squad furball event...

I am indifferent about registration...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
At this point,  if I wasn't a CM I would suggest to make it a pilots competition only. I would also suggest expanding the awards in a pilots only competition to say the top 10 pilots of each side.

This might be interesting.  Squads could make the investment to get one or two of their guys in the winning categories by working as a team and making sure not only were they set up for kills, but they got home to land them.  You wouldn't have to worry about numbers in the squads and creating so many categories either.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
I would rather it be a squad furball event...

I am indifferent about registration...

Squads would not be eliminated from participating,  just not scored as they have been in the past.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »
Looking for more input. There were folks that supported the Squad Kills per pilots after the 2015 challenge.

Post your ideas here.