Author Topic: 2017 Challenge Series - Scoring Categories  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: 2017 Challenge Series - Scoring Categories
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong Nef.  I truly appreciate the work you are doing for this event.  I also love the event, and that there is an award in the end.   :salute

I only wanted to bring to light that there is an element that will work to game the system when something is on the line.  If I really wanted to make sure the AK's got top honors, I would restrict the squad to only people with very high success rates so we would win, I will not do that.  The AK's take all levels of players, it's the people that make being an AK the most fun, not their score at the end of the month. 

The squad scoring in CC as it is now, could cause a squad to exclude players because they don't measure up, and in a time where numbers are smaller than they use to be, it's sad really. I just wanted to make this event as inclusive as it can be.  That's all...

Let me put this out there.  If anyone wishes to fly with the AK's in Combat Challenge, you are welcome to join us.  I don't care if you're a 10 year vet, or a 2 weeker. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:11:36 PM by Scca »
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
That's why I would like to eliminate the squad portion of the scoring completely. That would allow all pilots to compete on a more even level. Yes,  it still benefits a player that has more squaddies to protect their six,  but that can't be eliminated without switching to a koth like format.

That's the most inclusive you can get IMO. The good news is that squad scores can still be tallied and displayed, just not awarded without a change to the program that records CC records.

I'm going to reconsider this and I am now leaning towards a complete squad scoring elimination.  Will think a little more then make an announcement.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
I had a few last night before I found this thread. I am glad I waited to repond. I am surprised that there have been no other posts since then. I will inform my squad to check the tread out.

I did have a change of heart between last night and now. My first inclination was to strongly support squad awards. My boys did well 2 years ago. But today I am for whatever works to keep CC relavent and growing. We can gauge the outcome by opinions expressed, but the best data will come only after implementation.
I do remember the year of no awards and lower numbers. That is definitely not the way to go.
As I cannot currently attend, I wish you all the luck and pray the event is still around when I return.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Doc4

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »
Nef,
Please leave this as a squad concentrated event, it is nice filler between FSO's for squads.  CC was so much fun for my guys, and they really worked hard in the training arenas before CC so they could perform well.  You can't please everyone all of the time so please don't attempt to do it now.  The naysayers against scoring these events gripe and complain about everything under the sun that Hitech and the CM's try to do, and it seems like they are winning a lot of arguments these days since we have low numbers.  I know everyone wants a trophy, but maybe I am old school, but I think that you should earn it. If a squad feels that they are at a disadvantage due to numbers...recruit or join another squad....if not win the other categories that have no bearing on squad numbers.  The Unforgiven will fly this event no matter what, and have nothing but respect for the guys who put it on.  So another words Nef do as you see fit.

<S>
Doc4
~~~The Unforgiven~~~

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
Since we are going into this first challenge as a test of the new Terrains and Results Tracker, I am going to display all the results and allow everyone to see the differences.

I think it will help people understand the intent a little better, we'll see tomorrow night! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!