Author Topic: New VKB HOTAS news  (Read 9916 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: New VKB HOTAS news
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »
thrila bin your thrustmaster get one of these and tell me how good it is vs CH.    :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:25 PM »
How have your VKB pedals held up so far AckAck?  I've been really impressed with mine, very tough, solid metal and springs.  Too bad the software is in Russian and so un-intuitive, but I've figured it out for the most part and have it set pretty stock-ish in terms of settings.  I find that these type of pedals, sort of like the initial CH Pedals which don't rotate around a center axis, but just push like brakes on other pedals, are far more accurate for precise shooting.  I was going to keep my 109Cams and Crosswinds for DCS and other sims, but I find the VKB pedals are a benefit in them as well, and haven't used my other sets of peds at all since getting the VKB.

Really looking forward to new products, especially their throttle and new base.

I hooked up my CH Pedals over the weekend for chits and giggles to see how they compared after using the VKB pedals for a few months now.  After a couple of sorties, the CH pedals were removed and put the VKBs back. 

The only complaint is the software, lucky for me there was no need to calibrate the pedals as I have no clue how to calibrate using the VKB software.  Hell, I don't know if you can calibrate the pedals using the software, seems more tuned to their sticks.  Supposedly the T-Link software for the pedals should be coming out soon that will allow programming of the toe brakes to the pedals.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »
I got a gladiator a couple of months back..
Awesome
The stick is great.
I got it on Amazon $90
Very good stick for the price..
You don't calibrate  it and it's sensitive and spot on.
I had an issue with the trigger breaking but it has been sorted out..the new models have a tougher trigger now so it was a design defect.
The Russians tried to charge me $30 freight to send me the metal trigger but I declined..I had fixed it with a half a clothes peg as a triggerlol..but the USA branch emailed me seeing if things where sorted..I said no..they wanted to ship me a trigger and did so for Christmas free of charge..awesome..great customer care.
I fully recommend these sticks..new tech for pick ups and it works very well..
The pro has a metal gimbal rather than plastic so in the long run probably better..if you got the bucks..but the gladiator is a top end stick at low/mid range price..
Get one ..you won't be disappointed
Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 02:20:04 AM »
Clothes peg?

Did you wear protection when handling said object :old:

Do you now wear lipstick?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 04:37:55 AM »
Has you pie got enough filling?

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
Awesome
The stick is great.
I got it on Amazon $90
Jimmy

Thanks JimmyC, that is MOST encouraging!

According to the VKB order status, my Gladiator MK2 is still "processing" until they start shipping, "After the Chinese New Year". Apparently, it is of Russian design, and Chinese Production. Hell, what isn't these days! Doesn't matter to me as long as the quality makes it worthwhile.

Just wanted to clarify, seems that it's not coming from Russia.

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
   VKB has released a Beta ver. for Mark 4 rudder pedals toe brakes today. (Feb. 6).

I currently have  L-R- Both brakes mapped to a CH throttle 4 way button. If someone is brave enough to use their T-Link software I would like to know the results. I am somewhat skeptical of attempting it as I am tech challenged.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
   VKB has released a Beta ver. for Mark 4 rudder pedals toe brakes today. (Feb. 6).

I currently have  L-R- Both brakes mapped to a CH throttle 4 way button. If someone is brave enough to use their T-Link software I would like to know the results. I am somewhat skeptical of attempting it as I am tech challenged.

The beta software is like the original VKB software, utter crap.  It is very unfortunate that the VKB gear is seriously hampered by the crappy software.  There are no instructions in English and it's not very intuitive.  There is a provided profile for toe brakes but no way to import that I can see the profile into the T-Link software. 

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »
I've messed with the brakes before with the VKB pedals, I need to be on another PC with those pedals which has the links that I found where a Russian speaker figured it out.  IIRC you have to put the TinyBox into "Expert Mode", and then click a couple tabs, "A2B" and a couple others, and then you can set up multiple other virtual axis so you can have brakes and differential braking too.  I'll post in links later today.

I hope they do come out with English language instructions on the software for their new stuff, I do want to run all new VKB Gunfighter, throttle, and pedals as my primary controllers, but possibly won't if the software situation isn't rectified.  It does work, it's just pretty tough to get it to work for anyone that doesn't speak Sputnik, or with no instructions for a complicated and pretty unintuitive program.  I can't believe they don't know what a common complaint this is, shouldn't be a big deal to get some sim player to write a manual/docs for them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:51:47 PM by Gman »

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Awesome
The stick is great.
I got it on Amazon $90
I had an issue with the trigger breaking but it has been sorted out..the new models have a tougher trigger now so it was a design defect.
The Russians tried to charge me $30 freight to send me the metal trigger but I declined..I had fixed it with a half a clothes peg as a triggerlol..but the USA branch emailed me seeing if things where sorted..I said no..they wanted to ship me a trigger and did so for Christmas free of charge..awesome..great customer care.
I fully recommend these sticks..new tech for pick ups and it works very well..
The pro has a metal gimbal rather than plastic so in the long run probably better..if you got the bucks..but the gladiator is a top end stick at low/mid range price..
Jimmy

Do you use the throttle on the stick, or a separate throttle?
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »
   Thanks for replying guys. I have the Mark 4 pedals and like them very much.

To answer your question mbailey. I have mapped the top 4-way switch (the one above the little thumbstick) on my CH Pro Throttle with the lower pos. for both brakes and the back and forward positions for left and right differential braking and it does work quite well. I also use a CH Fighterstick without using the throttle function on it.

Thanks again guys.    Av8

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
Do you use the throttle on the stick, or a separate throttle?

I use my old x52 throttle, not connected

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »
WoooHoooo, my Gladiator Mk2 shipped yesterday!  :banana:

From Hong Kong via DHL with track#.

By  :airplane: and not slow boat, I hope!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
I've messed with the brakes before with the VKB pedals, I need to be on another PC with those pedals which has the links that I found where a Russian speaker figured it out.  IIRC you have to put the TinyBox into "Expert Mode", and then click a couple tabs, "A2B" and a couple others, and then you can set up multiple other virtual axis so you can have brakes and differential braking too.  I'll post in links later today.

I hope they do come out with English language instructions on the software for their new stuff, I do want to run all new VKB Gunfighter, throttle, and pedals as my primary controllers, but possibly won't if the software situation isn't rectified.  It does work, it's just pretty tough to get it to work for anyone that doesn't speak Sputnik, or with no instructions for a complicated and pretty unintuitive program.  I can't believe they don't know what a common complaint this is, shouldn't be a big deal to get some sim player to write a manual/docs for them.

I guess the rudimentary instructions for the English version of the programming instructions for VKB gear is posted on the DCS forums and not on the VKB forums.  Strange.

ack-ack

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
Well, my Gladiator Mk2 has arrived.
First impressions, and some comparisons to my 2 month old X52pro.

The box was lighter than I had imagined. After watching the few English reviews available, where it was said to be, "heavy", I expected something a bit more substantial. But it's not too light frail and cheap either, actually a bit heavier than the X52 stick. Can easily maintain position on the silicone feet, without the need for suction cups.

It seems to be well made, good fit and finish. The WW2 style is far more pleasing than the Super dustbuster X52pro. The grip is smooth, rotated slightly to the left, quite comfortable. A little checkering would be nice, maybe I'll add a bit of grip tape like on some of my pistols. It's a replica grip, so maybe the originals were smooth too?

The action of the stick is butter soft and smooth. Completely different feel from the X52. The ball and socket with central coil spring gimbal of the X52, gives a springy boing boing feeling. The Gladiator has none of that, it almost feels like a fluid coupling, very good, but different! I personally liked it better, immediately. You actually feel the front/back pitch, and side/side roll "gates" as the gimbal moves. Not a bad thing at all, it actually feels kinda like moving separate elevator and aileron control linkages, kinda cool!

On X52, the spring gets stiffer, the farther you move it away from center. And when allowed to spring back freely it wobbles back and forth until it stops. On Gladiator the tension remains constant from center to the limit of stick travel, and the stick returns to center with NO wobbling. Seems like the design of the gimbal has a self dampening effect, offering a very nice feel! At this point, (brand new) there is NO free play or wobble in the center of the stick travel, none! This is one area where the MK2 is said to be improved over the original Gladiator, have to see if it lasts over time and use.

Gladiator uses magnetic sensors on all three stick axis of movement, Pitch Roll, and Yaw. So there shouldn't be any Rudder spiking issues, as on other sticks that use a rheostat for the twist. The twisty function is quite firm, but there is no rudder lockout. All the buttons have a firm feel, with tactile and audible click when pressed. Throttle rheostat works smoothly, without being too loose. The Stick hat switch is concave in shape, instead of being convex like the X52, and is positioned a bit close to the stick body. Again, an issue having to do with the replica form of the stick. So someone with fat sausage fingers might have an issue at the 1:30 and 3 oclock positions. I am borderline with it, so I may glue a small black bead into the center of the concave hat. That will fix that issue and be hardly noticeable.

I have paired it with a refurbed X55 twin throttle. The combo offers enough switches and buttons that I have no need to switch modes or use the shift button. Look great together too! Windows 10 picked it up instantly, and no problems at all mapping to AH. SWEET!

$85 for this stick was a steal, the $30 shipping Zucks, but overall still very worthwhile!
My X52pro in now on the shelf!