Author Topic: MakeAHMap 1.7 Released  (Read 474 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
MakeAHMap 1.7 Released
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
2017-01-18: Version 1.7

- Improvements in globcover -> splattype mapping, switched to simple groundtype.csv format, related to the following issue: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,383366.msg5101022.html#msg5101022
- Fixed bug #5 invalid water generation for terrains < 512 miles outside of the map
- Fixed bug #2 hanging on flat terrain generation

http://cppcms.com/files/makeahmap/makeahmap-1.7.zip

Feedback required:

Since I updated groundtype mapping - please take a look on generated splattype.bmp and see if it looks ok.

Is further improvement needed?

I considering applying filters to smoother the borders between areas also it would work for types 0-15 and not 16-19 that quite dominant.

Note you can enable custom ground type mapping by uncommenting line

# type_mapping="groundmapping.csv"
to
type_mapping="groundmapping.csv"

Now you can edit groundmapping.csv (please do it in text editor and not Excel!) and play with values to make sure you get what you need.

Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: MakeAHMap 1.7 Released
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »
artik, help me out:  how does make-a-map relate to the terrain editor?  (I admit it, I am a total noob at this, but I'm trying to learn.)

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
It is used for creating historically accurate terrains or I guess I should terrains based on the real world.

Basically punch in the latitude and longitude for an area like say Taiwan. Then set your scale 1.0 creates a 1 game mile to 1 real world mile, 1.5 is 1 game mile equals 1.5 real world miles, etc. Then choose to create a 64, 128, 256 or 512 mile map (SEA uses the 512 mile by 512 mile) and run the sucker. It will create the elevation file for you, the splat type bmp (used for defining vegetation for the terrain), and create a CBM map for you also.

Then in the terrain editor you can go create a new terrain and save it. In the directory it creates (the terrain name located unser ah3terr directory) in the texsrc directory copy over the bmp for your terrain (for instance for my egypt terrain the file would be called egypt.bmp) with the cbm map artik's program created.

Then open up the terrain and import the "signed height map" with the raw file that artik's program created and import the Splat map with the bmp file his program created. Then basically you have an historical terrain minus all the bases, strats, spawn points, etc.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:36:54 PM by ghostdancer »
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
New version Released

2017-01-19: Version 1.8

- Fixed bug #1: No support of area around E180/W180
- Fixed bug #4: Implemented smoothing of the splattypes for more natural translation of boundaries

What I need is different mappings for different tile sets...

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 02:35:17 AM »
note I found a bug in smoothing such can create wired artifacts in the areas between large and small tiles,

You can disable smoothing by setting splattype_filter_radius=0

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
artik, used your program today. works pretty slick. made a 64X64. had easyscor helping me with adding towns and spawns. very cool. thank you for your hard work!

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
Yeah, have to echo what captain1ma, your program is great and make it so much easier than getting the DEM importing it into l3dt, exporting out a raw file, touching up in Photoshop and then finally importing it into the terrain editor. That you used to take me all day. With your program its like an hour tops of getting the slice of land I like and that is just because of shifting the long and latitude around until I get the area I want.  :rock
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team