Author Topic: The Thing About AH3 Skinning That P(beeps) Me Off In 100 Words Or Less...  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: The Thing About AH3 Skinning That P(beeps) Me Off In 100 Words Or Less...
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Thanks Bustr.    I would love for skills like his to rub off on me but that's a miracle too far I suspect.   

May just have to stick with non-NMF skins from now on. 

Devil, that aluminum looks fabulous.   How much of that is due to bake-in vs. spec mapping?

The good news is that the baked in detail is mostly the same as what I do on painted skins as well. I did add a layer for the aluminium tarnish(more on that later). I also added an extra layer for shading the rivets opposite the existing rivet highlight layer. I boosted the opacity on the rivet highlight, panel lines, and panel line highlight layers. On the wings, I added a layer for individual panel highlights. The normal map is the same as a painted skin. The spec map levels I laid out earlier, although I have started using pure black on the power map since I made the screen shots.

I'll put together a tutorial for the aluminum tarnish mottling later.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
A tutorial on the aluminum would be fantastic and much appreciated, Devil.   Thanks!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
I just want to duplicate the mottling for now.   Once I get that I can go back at the rivets.   

I have debated trying a gray with various blots of different shades then a blur of some kind to make it look mottled.   

I'm about out of ideas short of ZOOM, COPY, PASTE. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »
A tutorial on the aluminum would be fantastic and much appreciated, Devil.   Thanks!

I was thinking the same, perhaps you could do a seperate thread  on it Devil, it would be helpful to us lesser mortals.
Thanks.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »
I was thinking the same, perhaps you could do a seperate thread  on it Devil, it would be helpful to us lesser mortals.
Thanks.

Sure.

It's will be a while though to take all of the screenshots needed.

Also note that the screenshots are from a quickly thrown together attempt at the mottling and highlights.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:44:08 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
Sure.

It's will be a while though to take all of the screenshots needed.

Also note that the screenshots are from a quickly thrown together attempt at the mottling and highlights.

Excellent, and thank you in advance.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
It would be great to have a guide. 

I keep looking at the skin I posted above.   It looks fine as a base file but the spec map throws it into chaos.    I'm so confused. 

I may have to experiment with a metal-only layer and try to add everything else to it later...   seemed to work great on that 109.

:headscratch:

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Vraciu, try a simple test make spec and power maps simply a 128 for the entire file.

And set your env  about 64 for the complete file.

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Vraciu, try a simple test make spec and power maps simply a 128 for the entire file.

And set your env  about 64 for the complete file.

HiTech

Will do, sir, and report back. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
What do you guys think of this one?  This is my bare metal P-51D base.  I've still got some additional tasks and layer balancing adjustments remaining to do on the diffuse map and then I'll start in earnest with the other maps.  Right now I've got it set up with fairly basic spec and power files, and minimal environment map.  I think they're both a little high though - getting some washout on the tail fillet.   Fencer should be happy with me since I got the wings painted.   :lol  I don't think I'm happy with the texture on the ailerons and flaps though.

I've stared at this skin so much I'm cross-eyed.  I actually ran it out gas on this flight; the prop is windmilling.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What do you guys think of this one?  This is my bare metal P-51D base.  I've still got some additional tasks and layer balancing adjustments remaining to do on the diffuse map and then I'll start in earnest with the other maps.  Right now I've got it set up with fairly basic spec and power files, and minimal environment map.  I think they're both a little high though - getting some washout on the tail fillet.   Fencer should be happy with me since I got the wings painted.   :lol  I don't think I'm happy with the texture on the ailerons and flaps though.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I've stared at this skin so much I'm cross-eyed.  I actually ran it out gas on this flight; the prop is windmilling.

Yowsa!

:cheers: :aok

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
That base looks great, Oboe.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Very Impressive, best 51 I have seen.  Thanks for painting the wings. 

The flaps are aluminum like the fuselage, as I am sure you are aware of.

Didn't I send you some pics?

Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Very Impressive, best 51 I have seen.  Thanks for painting the wings. 

The flaps are aluminum like the fuselage, as I am sure you are aware of.

Didn't I send you some pics?

Thank you.  Yes, you sent pics and they helped alot, kept me quite busy in fact - lots of detail I hadn't seen before.  Thanks for those!

I do know the flaps and ailerons are bare aluminum - in fact I used same texture as I did the on fuselage.  It just gets illuminated differently because of the angle difference of the light source.  I can maneuver the around the plane and get it to glare very nicely when the sun angle is right, but when the sun angle is good on the fuselage, it doesn't do much for the flap and aileron surfaces.  I'll try increasing the environmental map for these to see if that helps.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Some of the lighter metal still looks too white.   Also I would tweak the national insignia a tad.  But, yeah, overall that's definitely getting toward what they should look like. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned