Author Topic: More info in the corner/Selected weapon improvements  (Read 2473 times)

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
More info in the corner/Selected weapon improvements
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
I like the text in the corner of the screen showing Speed/Alt, what I'd like to see is what secondary weapon is selected as well.  With the default views most of the planes I fly have the ammo counters out of sight, having to look down to see what bomb or gun I have selected.  It would be nice to cycle weapons while looking forward and know what's going to happen when you hit the fire secondary button.

Another wish would be to have an indicator if the selected bomb is external or internal. On planes like the Mossie or A20 you have the same size bombs inside and outside.  Obviously you want to drop the external ords first but have no way to know which one you have selected. 
I think an easy way to implement would be to show the internal ords as red if the door is closed, while the exterior would still be white.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Re: More info in the corner/Selected weapon improvements
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »
Internal/external load: Until it is changed, the second bomb selection is for the external bombs In the a20 and mossie.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 02:33:27 AM »
Internal/external load: Until it is changed, the second bomb selection is for the external bombs In the a20 and mossie.
No, in the mossie VI it is reveresed. The cycle order is: cannons - internal - external.
It is easy to remember - look at the mossie cockpit, the levers and indicators are all over the place. Why should the ordnance selection order make sense?
In other words, it is British.

In the mossie XVI bombers I do not remember the order, but it is less of an issue because the internal and external loads are different.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:30:52 AM »
No, in the mossie VI it is reveresed. The cycle order is: cannons - internal - external.
It is easy to remember - look at the mossie cockpit, the levers and indicators are all over the place. Why should the ordnance selection order make sense?
In other words, it is British.

In the mossie XVI bombers I do not remember the order, but it is less of an issue because the internal and external loads are different.

Yes, 3rd selection overall, 2nd bomb choice. Thanks Bozon!
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
for anyone with the same issues as me of always having to look down to see what your secondary is selected I have found a nice alternative.  If you hold down H you can pull your view down just enough to see it and hit F10 while holding H to save that view as your default.  This way allows you to still retain the correct line of site through your gunsight while still seeing slightly down in your cockpit.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:28 AM »
+1

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:37:01 AM »
My collie-hat forward is mapped to forward/down view, basically panel-view. Which feels quite natural, especially in combination with coolie-hat back to forward/up (I don't have a rear view mapped, but left/right-rear gives enough rear view anyway).

It doesn't help to distinguish equal bombs, though. Instead of displaying, I would prefer dedicated buttons for each attachment. Toggles, and buttons cycling through different things are dangerous. Can't really use them blindly. Flaps have separate buttons, too - gear, dive breaks, hook, guns, and ord deserve them, too.

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
I like the text in the corner of the screen showing Speed/Alt, what I'd like to see is what secondary weapon is selected as well.  With the default views most of the planes I fly have the ammo counters out of sight, having to look down to see what bomb or gun I have selected.  It would be nice to cycle weapons while looking forward and know what's going to happen when you hit the fire secondary button.

If implemented then I would like the option to turn that info line off, too keep stuff to minimum.

Another wish would be to have an indicator if the selected bomb is external or internal. On planes like the Mossie or A20 you have the same size bombs inside and outside.  Obviously you want to drop the external ords first but have no way to know which one you have selected. 
I think an easy way to implement would be to show the internal ords as red if the door is closed, while the exterior would still be white.

+1

It doesn't help to distinguish equal bombs, though. Instead of displaying, I would prefer dedicated buttons for each attachment. Toggles, and buttons cycling through different things are dangerous. Can't really use them blindly. Flaps have separate buttons, too - gear, dive breaks, hook, guns, and ord deserve them, too.

I would like to keep using the current selection system, but would not mind more possibilities for others.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
Any chance that HUD for GV in commander position will give you a compass option? I'm thinking I can communicate better when I'm helping tankers from my storch if we both have one up when I call relative vectors to enemy tanks for my guys. Tie it to the frontal direction of the tank body and not to the turret. I think many will adapt and use it. Had an old ex-tanker grousing at me for not using compass headings when I called out targets on a 12 hour clock vector basis. Full zoom showed him facing 180 from the heading I had assumed he was on. He was really grouchy taking hits in his kester.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
Until I changed my commander ring to black, I never really saw how it works. It has a built in compass. :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Blade

• Nickel Member
      • Battoutai
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »
+1
---------------------------
Who Dares Wins
---------------------------
抜刀隊Blog http://battoutai.blogspot.com
Aces High Wiki Plus! http://www43.atwiki.jp/aceshigh/

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
+1 to all of this.

Allow us to customize the corner HUD to our preference.  I like the idea of adding heading info to GV's, and ammo counter to aircraft.  Also wouldn't mind seeing fuel remaining in minutes for aircraft.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 07:40:14 PM »
I notice this is a problem with the new P-38 makeover.  The ordnance selection is under the pilots arm, so even if you look down you cant see what you have selected.  You have to get creative with views, or we could just have a HUD indicator to simulate us looking at our selection.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
I love the new 38 but ord selection, fuel, and wheels down is hard to see.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 10:47:18 PM »
  Also wouldn't mind seeing fuel remaining in minutes for aircraft.

That's what the E6B is for.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com