Author Topic: The Firefly  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The Firefly
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »
When this tank first came out it was not perked at all.

And quickly ruled the battlefield, partly helped by an armor bug which the Tiger I suffered the most from.
But the Fireffl was different from todays model too, it was faster and didn't have advantage of a great sight it has today (all tanks had the same sight & zoom back then).  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 12:02:33 AM »
I'm of the opinion that pure usage data isn't accurate for how frequently one sees a certain type of vehicle due to the ubiquitousnes of camps affecting vehicle choices.

One tends to see more Panzer IV's and T34's spawning in due to the best gun on a free tank, or the best turret traverse and HVAP, depending on their personal philosophy.

On the camping end, one sees a higher number of the casemate tank destroyers (because of reduced weakness of limited traverse), and high perk tanks such as Tigers, Panthers, and Tiger II's than in open general combat.

Which is not to say that Fireflies are crazy common or anything, simply that from my experience, I believe the raw data is somewhat misleading.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »
I preach this to my squad mates and every time this topic comes up in these forums: range and angle of impact means everything.

FWIW: the Firefly's 17 Pdr is inferior only to the King Tiger in terms of AP ability (yes, superior to the Tiger I and Panther's 75mm). If you hit a T34 in the turret and nothing happened it simply means the armor worked (absorbed and/or deflected), or the projectile failed. Remember, there is extra armor to the front of the gun mount.

Film is a wonderful thing.  ;) 

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 01:06:31 AM »
And quickly ruled the battlefield, partly helped by an armor bug which the Tiger I suffered the most from.
But the Fireffl was different from todays model too, it was faster and didn't have advantage of a great sight it has today (all tanks had the same sight & zoom back then).  :old:

Am I correct in saying no Panthers,King Tigers,T34/85,M4/76 at that point either  :headscratch: don't recall.
Pretty sure no tank destroyers either at that point in time.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2017, 03:27:15 AM »
Am I correct in saying no Panthers,King Tigers,T34/85,M4/76 at that point either  :headscratch: don't recall.

You are totally correct.

When the first incarnation of the Firefly was introduced, he only met the Panzer IVH, T-34/76, M-8 and the Tiger I.

Tank and tank destroyer introduction dates (Tour #):

Panzer IV H   3
Tiger I   35
T-34/76   57
Sherman VC   87
T-34/85   104
M4A3(75)   124
M4A3(76)W   124
Panther G   131
Tiger 2   138
Panzer IV F   141
M-18   141
Jagdpanzer 38 (t)   162
Jagdpanzer IV/70   162
Jagdpanther   162

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »

You are totally correct.

When the first incarnation of the Firefly was introduced, he only met the Panzer IVH, T-34/76, M-8 and the Tiger I.

Tank and tank destroyer introduction dates (Tour #):

Panzer IV H   3
Tiger I   35
T-34/76   57
Sherman VC   87
T-34/85   104
M4A3(75)   124
M4A3(76)W   124
Panther G   131
Tiger 2   138
Panzer IV F   141
M-18   141
Jagdpanzer 38 (t)   162
Jagdpanzer IV/70   162
Jagdpanther   162

Excellent as usual Lusche.  :aok
Your post I think helps my point. It should have been perked back then :headscratch: now though probably not.
The Hetzer is far more dangerous than the Firefly in AHIII yet no perk cost on it.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
The Hetzer have allot of trouble dealing with M-8's. The Firefly is harder to kill because it has a turret. The 17 lb HE's are not exactly a M-8's best friend either.  :D

The Firefly may be slow but when it hits the mark it is deadly. I often prefer a ditch over rtb wnen I run out of ammo. Just takes too lng to get there.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
See this http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,345669.msg5138436.html#msg5138436 for detailed GV combat data for the 1st quarter 2017  :old:

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »
See this http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,345669.msg5138436.html#msg5138436 for detailed GV combat data for the 1st quarter 2017  :old:

In a nut shell to many perked rides that no one uses.

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
After seeing some posts in Aces High concerning this vehicle, I decided to look at it off line.

Found I could hit targets way, way out there :)

Yesterday evening, I decided to try it on line.

I had a 45 minute sortie.  My first kill was two shots for a kill at 4,000 yards.

The next kill was at 3,800.  Virgle was probably not a happy person.  All the hits hit the top of the vehicle, a WRBL.

The third kill was an M4 at 3,800 yards, two hits back to back. 

Six minutes later, redctchr was killed again, this time at 3,900 yards. 

I was on a hill and they were on the opposite hill.  I was well hidden under some trees and all hits appeared to strike the top of the vehicles. 

I never received any return fire.  I guess they did not see the rounds coming in and dropping on them.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »
Do you find that the sight keeps moving around? Mine slowly drifts up and down.

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
I did not notice any drift, just the bounce from shooting.  Before going on line, I had spent about two hours practice on the gunnery range Mr. Buster had put together :)

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
I was on a hill and they were on the opposite hill.  I was well hidden under some trees and all hits appeared to strike the top of the vehicles.

I never received any return fire.  I guess they did not see the rounds coming in and dropping on them.

Correct, incoming tank fire is very hard and mostly impossible to see anymore. The sound model doesn't seem to help as everything (at least on my pc) seems to be left of actual events. The solid darker green of the FF and some of the tree shades make superb hiding places for the FF compared to other tanks camo colors and design.  The FF is a great tank if you don't have to travel much and want to reach out and touch someone for low perk cost.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
Do you find that the sight keeps moving around? Mine slowly drifts up and down.

I find I have to re-calibrate my controls more with any zoomed sights as the drift gets pretty bad sometimes.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
Correct, incoming tank fire is very hard and mostly impossible to see anymore. The sound model doesn't seem to help as everything (at least on my pc) seems to be left of actual events. The solid darker green of the FF and some of the tree shades make superb hiding places for the FF compared to other tanks camo colors and design.  The FF is a great tank if you don't have to travel much and want to reach out and touch someone for low perk cost.

<S>Redcatcher

Get a sound card and plug your headset or speakers directly into it. Do not use USB. A sound card makes a big difference and pin points where the sound it coming from with accuracy. Challenge left a post a long time ago about sound cards. AHIII had a major upgrade for sound and to enjoy it you need a good sound card. Many on board sound chips on the motherboard do not cut it for sound quality. A sound blaster card usually runs about 40 dollars  U.S. 

As far as the Firefly, if you keep your distance...say 3 to 4 thousand yards, as already mentioned, The Firefly is deadly and will kill any tank in the game. It will take allot of hits on the Tiger II's turret to disable it, but it will pop.

:salute
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:45:51 PM by Mano »
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)