Author Topic: rifts non clarity  (Read 2855 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
rifts non clarity
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »
I have fiddled with all options now,
nividia profiles
oculus tray tool

I even dropped back to 1024 text from 4096.

No matter what, its like looking thru a screen door to the outside. I can see the pixel pattern.

So is this what the hype has been about? The 3D presence is incredible but the display is terrible. Seriously disappointed!
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: rifts non clarity
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Are you using DK2 or the release version?  I'm using a DK2 but it's fine. I know it's not the clearest, but the release version has a great quality screen.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 04:09:10 PM »
N95KF posted these setting and they really helped.
If you have the horsepower, goto Nvidia Display Control Panel.  I have a GTX 1080 and am able to crank up the following settings and stikk keep 90FPS with Oculus:
You have to select AA overide mode to open this next setting
AA: Override application - 8x
Anisotropic Filtering - Override App - 16x
FXAA - On
Power - Prefer High Performance

I would also add the rift is very sensitive to the up and down position on your face.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »
cv1
Yes i tried the profies.

This is a major design fllaw. Im surprised how peeps confuse bad focus with hardware deficiacies.
Stick your face as close to an led hdtv and you will see the same door screen affect. The mesh like filter is the actual led sitting in its grid.

Look, without clarity, the VR is useless. Bad eyes get eye strain, good eyes will be damaged.

This display is by no means ready for games. Someone has been drinking his own cool aid, if I had demo'ed this first, no purchase, just not a viable thing. Shame to, all else works well.

I demo'ed a vive today, it is better but not much. These headsets are for dark environments and close in encounters.

Not one review mentions this issue, very misleading images used. Showing an led image as a headset image is wrong.

Will be seeing about returning rift, its useless for ah. If i can return it, i will prolly jump for a vive..

Serious disapointment here!
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »
You have one more option, download the Oculus debug tool, and put SuperSampling from 1.0 to 2.0.  You will increase the resolution in the Rift x4.  You will also have to turn down many MANY graphical options in-game though to maintain frames.  It is a beast.  But some people prefer the increased resolution and clarity to eye candy.  I like both ways.

You need to open it every time before you run Aces High, but I have a feeling you are one of those people who prefer this over cool shadows...You will notice how much sharper it is immediately
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:10:58 PM by N95KF »
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:01 AM »
This display is by no means ready for games. Someone has been drinking his own cool aid, if I had demo'ed this first, no purchase, just not a viable thing. Shame to, all else works well.

I demo'ed a vive today, it is better but not much. These headsets are for dark environments and close in encounters.

Not one review mentions this issue, very misleading images used. Showing an led image as a headset image is wrong.

I don't think any vendor has been misleading, there is lots of information out there that point to a sacrifice in resolution.

What you are doing is running a 1080 display equivalent to a 60" monitor a couple of feet from your face. VR or not pixelation will be there.

Eventually VR will go to 4k, but the big problem there is processing power. Remember VR is stereoscopic, so any jump in res is doubled. Until a year or two ago the HDMI standard couldn't even handle the bandwidth required for full FPS 4k stereo 3D. If you want 4K VR there will be a huge price to pay.

So right now for VR pros are awesome stereo 3d, massive effective screen size, headtracking compliments the immersion. Cons are resolution.

Monitors pros are awesome resolution, crap stereo 3D, small effective screen size (or you stick your face next to it and get the same pixelation as a rift), terrible for headtracking immersion.

My first VR headset was 263x230, 256 colours, 35 degree field of view.

Still the Rift and others are 1st gen tech of this style of headset. There is nothing wrong with saying it's not for you, but plenty of us do enjoy the 'being there' feeling over the 4k monitor option.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:29:42 AM by Vulcan »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 05:35:06 AM »
If you focus on the resolution, then it is not much fun.  No one has ever said anything to the contrary.  If you focus on the objects in view, then the resolution is not really an issue.  Sure it could be better and as technology improves it will get better, but right now it is enjoyable for most, as long as you do not focus on the resolution.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
Yes, this was the same issue I was having. I can say this, your eyes will get accustomed to it. It probably a lot like when a person gets their first pair of glasses, have to learn how to walk with out tripping(or feeling like you are) over the stuff you can now see! It seems that every day or so, I can see cons from a bit further out. The brightness still fatigues my eyes about the same amount though. Vr to me is sort of like a poster I had as a kid. It looked like just a mess of colors with no pattern at all, UNTILL you learned how to look at it. THEN poof, the image jumped straight out of the mess in cool 3D. Once you could see it the first time, it was easy to see it correctly
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 01:26:32 AM »
so I have been spending last couple nights playing.

In my case my issues were/are

the "screen door affect" primarily and its a little dim overall, some type of eye strain or headset pinch headache.

What seems to work for moi,

512 textures...................wa s the beginning.

I basically reduced everything or turned it off. Skuzzy is correct about not focusing on the res, but the freaking screen door affect hides the res, it forces its own type of jaggies. No point fighting the jaggies, the performance hit you take is for nada cuz screen do......so I simplified, a lot.

I also notice when I lean in on the clipboard real close, I mean close, theres no screen door...... It appears that whats happening is that the rift, in order to create depth, is, for lack of better term, layering stuff, as the layers stack up it looses definition for those layers farthest away.

So we sit the cockpit, now call up the map and place it center in cockpit with you, notice how the rift attempts to pull focus to map by making clarity and the instrument panel gets fuzzy....Sitting the cockpit becomes primary for rift and cleans it up, out side the glass gets fuzzed. This is a software algorythm that needs changed, the attempt to create depth is the issue.......................o r something softwarish.

Its a little jittery, the refresh rate, the headset is a little to sensitive, keep still, you still move around, jitter. Shame theres no adjustment.

I will post settings I settle on when decided
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:29:16 AM by MADe »

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
Have you tried the supersampling option I mentioned?  It is the only thing that is going to fix your problems MadE
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:02:07 PM »
Have you tried the supersampling option I mentioned?  It is the only thing that is going to fix your problems MadE

yes m8 I have. I see no real difference other than a F/s drop. Because of the screen door affect, which is more related to distance than close up, there are a type of jaggy that AA will not fix. So I am turning everything off, no point taking a perf hit when the software cannot overcome the limitation.

Also the lenses you adjust, how they work to create depth is an issue. The tightest focus possible, dam, it fuzzes your periphial vision. To not be looking right at something cause fuzzy and the diameter of clear view area is so small...................

W10 VR Desktop
http://www.vrheads.com/how-set-virtual-desktop-oculus-rift

Anyone using it?
It seems to have rift headset display adjustment capability................... ....

so far best practice for moi..

-turn hdmi port to 90% brilliance, change hue 5%. Adds some color, alters the white component. still playing.
-turn off HDTV display while using rift. appears to reduce eye strain, rift 90Hz, HDTV 60Hz, card had issues with different Hz's. Causes extra jittery.... These things have reduced headaches from eye strain and made thins clearer. The headset needs padding to stop squeezing headaches.
-512 textures
-SS 1.3

I'm wondering if I should update windows, I have updates turned off, and, try the VR Desktop.

I'm not giving up, adapting's my middle name.
 :salute
 :joystick:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:05:16 PM by MADe »

Offline GilNoh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 12:34:39 AM »
When I first tried Oclus, I was also surprised to find that this "resolution" issue. Really disapointed at this sort of "as if looking through a not so clear pair of goggles". ... But after two days of flight, I realized that the ability to put yourself in the cockpit was ... really great. I mean, I've been playing my flight sims with 4k monitor with TrackIR for years. I didn't expect much on VR --- I just expected, well kind of, a bit better track-IR with 3D --- definitely in higher resolution!!

What I didn't realized was that VR gives you a different level of immersion. It still gives me some satisfaction, kind of, "wow, that was great in VR".  Looking back over your shoulder to get your opponent in sight after a high speed merge, then making hard turn while keeping him in sight in one continuous movement, from over your shoulder, now above you ( tilt your head a bit to see him more clearly), closer and closer he comes to your front, and finally put him in the gun sight... bf109 gunsight that you have to see through your right eye, not your left eye!

I mean, these are just normal and common activity, we always do with AH and other flight sim. But this (low-res) Oculus experience comes to me much more natural to me than my normal sim-pit of 4k monitor + TrackIR. So now I mostly fly with VR, as long as my eyes are not strined / not tired.

Well, just my case. For me, the benifit of VR is much greater than the problem of (forced-to) seeing low-res screen.

Well, I have to confess that I didn't even tried any of the options to make them sharper, since it was my opinion that this is inheretent problem of the HW... but maybe I should try some options too, like forced AA or pixel density...

Gil

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 04:01:45 AM »
...The headset needs padding to stop squeezing headaches. ...

Sounds like you have the straps too tight. You want the strap as low on the back of your head as it will go but it doesn't need to be tight just barely snug.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
Hare, you were telling me about the HDMI thing the other day :rock Could you go back over the HOW TO DO IT AGAIN? :uhoh :pray I remember Nvidia control panel being port sensitive or something like that...but that's as far as memory goes :bolt:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Hare, you were telling me about the HDMI thing the other day :rock Could you go back over the HOW TO DO IT AGAIN? :uhoh :pray I remember Nvidia control panel being port sensitive or something like that...but that's as far as memory goes :bolt:
Oh and should the headset show up as an imaging/display device in windows? Mine doesn't, just wondering