Author Topic: spec mapping, spec power... a thought occurs to me...  (Read 394 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
spec mapping, spec power... a thought occurs to me...
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »
A though has occurred to me.

With the new spec mapping and spec power and all that stuff would we not be able to accurately re-create the oval mirrors on the inboard side of the P-38 engines? Max out their reflectivity and make the rest of the plane normal.

Would it work?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: spec mapping, spec power... a thought occurs to me...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
It should work exactly like that. I think the real problem will be in choosing the correct color/colors for the mirror on the diffuse map so that it really does look like a mirror once all the other effects are layered over it.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Since the reflection mapping is partially transparent I think making it the closest shade of silver-grey as you can to white with no internal texture would do the job. You don't want to "fake" a glass/mirror effect then have the reflection map obscured by the detail underneath, right?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »
It works, and it looks pretty cool.   Panning around the outside of the aircraft, you can see reflections of either the runway surface or the horizon & sky, depending on your angle to the mirror.   Especially cool when you look at the inner cowl that is in shadow, because the mirror stays well lit.

However, when you are inside the cockpit and look down at the mirror, what you see reflected in the mirror is the same view you would have of the opposite nacelle from your head position.  E.g., if I'm in cockpit and look forward-left-down to view the mirror, what I see in the mirror is the view I would have of the opposite nacelle (just as if I had instead looked forward-right-down).

Unfortunately, it doesn't work to view whether the nose gear is extended, which I understand was the function of those mirrors in real life.   Its a small discrepancy, and IIRC has something to do with the cube faces in the 3D representation of the game.    I don't know why it doesn't work the way the mirrors work in RL.

I'll post it as a bug.

EDIT: I just remembered - I think it is the same bug as found in the B-17.  If you look out the cockpit of a chrome-finished B-17, on the side of the inner cowl you will see a reflection of the interior of the cockpit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:45:50 PM by oboe »