Author Topic: Player numbers down?  (Read 22217 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Player numbers down?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
If all the people that are "just waiting for numbers to get up" before they rejoined or joined, well the numbers would be up.

What you find on this board are a lot of guys who are just burned out and won't move on, so they sit here lamenting the good old days, while discouraging any new or returning players to come and fly.  I'm not trying to "blue sky" anyone but I'm also not believing the "sky is falling" chicken little (non)players that seem to take pleasure in thinking it's over.

You either are helping or hurting this great game with your actions, whether while playing of if you're just posting.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:17:22 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
Indeed Zoney.  :aok
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »
But numbers last summer were higher as in the winter... 

Last summer was still AH2 and Buzzsaw was introduced over the winter.

Can you figure out the current average players sans Buzzsaw? I don't think it will be that far off what we've seen in the fall after AH3 launched.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
Years ago, there were plenty of noobs that even noobs could kill.  Now it's mostly long time players.  That makes it hard to get started.  HTC needs to find a way to bring in large quantities of new players, so that it's not just David the noob vs Goliath every sortie.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
Last summer was still AH2 and Buzzsaw was introduced over the winter.

My point is there has been a rather continuous reduction in numbers over the years, with no visible impact of things like seasons, weather, or maps.
There is no singular "That's it!". There's something more fundamental  (and possibly more complex?) to it than all those favourite pet peeves we players come up with ( not even my own favourite, the strats  :D)
Of course I have my very own hypotheses, but I can't prove any of them

Can you figure out the current average players sans Buzzsaw?

No.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
Overall I agree, but I was referring specifically to your comment comparing the current player population to last summer.

You would know better than I if the switch to AH3 saw a significant number shift, either positive or negative, but from what I've seen when I log into the MA is that the rough average number of players now is about the same as when AH3 went live - except when Buzzsaw is up.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
My point is there has been a rather continuous reduction in numbers over the years, with no visible impact of things like seasons, weather, or maps.
There is no singular "That's it!". There's something more fundamental  (and possibly more complex?) to it than all those favourite pet peeves we players come up with ( not even my own favourite, the strats  :D)

No.

I think the strats have made a difference too, and also the  resupply that really don't make a whole lot of sense to the attacking team.

I also just think it has to do with map layouts and base distance, taking too long to find fights and action on the maps. Especially during the off hours, when you have to fly 20 miles just to fight a single con. The strategic type players don't care about the #s because they are attacking the map, and not other players. You can never change how people play the game, like Gangs and HOs or whatever, but you can change things like radar hardness and base layout/distance, that can really promote furball action and bring a lot of the fighter base back. Plus when you bring back the fighter base, they will choose to be apart of other parts of the game too.

The reason why so many players FSO and combat challenge is becuase of the air combat. This is what most of the people are really looking for. We need to bring big fun fights back to the MA, and that can only happen with promoting fighter action.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:13:24 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
You would know better than I if the switch to AH3 saw a significant number shift

Around the time AH3 went live there was a small, but notable bump in numbers, which quickly fell off again.
But of course I can't say if this increase was caused by recurring players or by really new ones. Nor can I tell if AH lost that 'new' players or old ones whose hardware wasn't up to the task anymore.
Only HT could tell, but he won't tell us  :noid

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
You can never change how people play the game

Not by appeals, by wishful thinking ("If just everybody would...") or by *youth of today* ramblings, that's for sure  :aok

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
have not played in months not that i dont want to,started a new job that requires more attention than my last one but want to give a <<S>> to Aces High community and my squaddies G3MF,as a famous general once said... I shall return :salute

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »

Hypothesize away. No proof needed for discussion.  :rock

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
I think the strats have made a difference too, and also the  resupply that really don't make a whole lot of sense to the attacking team.

I also just think it has to do with map layouts and base distance, taking too long to find fights and action on the maps. Especially during the off hours, when you have to fly 20 miles just to fight a single con. The strategic type players don't care about the #s because they are attacking the map, and not other players. You can never change how people play the game, like Gangs and HOs or whatever, but you can change things like radar hardness and base layout/distance, that can really promote furball action and bring a lot of the fighter base back. Plus when you bring back the fighter base, they will choose to be apart of other parts of the game too.

The reason why so many players FSO and combat challenge is becuase of the air combat. This is what most of the people are really looking for. We need to bring big fun fights back to the MA, and that can only happen with promoting fighter action.

Very true. But there's a missing component, I think. What is truly lacking is not necessarily fighter v. fighter action but fighter v. any plane action.

Think of the MA as a marine ecosystem. What we have now is a relative overabundant shark population and not enough lesser predators and baitfish to support it. It's an unhealthy system.

If you think of town and base objects as the krill that feeds the little fish and bottom feeders, you'll see that our ecosystem has too many crabs and not enough schooling baitfish. Since the crabs and baitfish compete against each other for their feed, the animal that has the easier time finding food thrives at the expense of the other.

If you haven't figured it out yet, crabs are GV's.

The current game makes it too easy for GV's to dictate the ground war. We no longer have hordes and missions (schooling baitfish) attacking bases and towns because it much easier for players to take a GV to accomplish their task (finds food).

Without abundant schooling baitfish, we are left with the predators eating themselves with predictable results. The good pilots feed and the lesser ones die and die often, then leave the game for happier feeding grounds. Only the truly gifted or stubborn pilots can thrive in the current environment.

We need game mechanics in place to promote more aircraft attacking objects and GV's alike. It is far too easy for GV's to both fight and succeed vs. themselves but especially aircraft. When their success comes at the direct behest of the air combat, it is not healthy for an air combat game.   
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 07:48:11 PM »
more missions.  its been killed by the ego fighter pilot and overall selfish "i pay my 15 bucks.".  Its not fun. its not ww2. its not anything immersive where the game is enticing.  many game objectives are unattainable because of lack of coordination leading to frustration and a lack of effort.  its not fun to die anymore.  more missions, more wingmen. thats what is fun.  put a noob under your wing.  lead a milk run.  line up gvs.  that is fun, that will also give the selfish something to shoot at.  its how it worked.  its why i played.

also, does not help unemployment is at a 10 year low.  :old:

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 01:15:48 AM »
Hi there!

I was coming back to AH last week. I was somewhat active a few years ago and I thought I'd give it a try agian.

Everything seems to be fine, but the number of players seems to have seriously dropped, right? I can remember times when there were 500 or so online weekend evenings. Last weekend most I saw was 150 or so. European time zone here.

Did the player base really shrink that much or is there some other reason that I saw so few people online? Just before there were just 50 ppl in the MA, thats just too little...

Thanks for your input!

Purzel
  :old: Here Here

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 02:00:01 AM »
I got a new job and spending time with that :old:

When i return on regular basis the numbers will increase :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario