Author Topic: How does ENY work?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
Re: How does ENY work?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
What you all are not taking into consideration. The way the game works now you can only update the skins pack is to be logged onto the game. For some while updating the skins the game does not run stable as it takes up bandwidth as they are downloading.
So the solution is to log into the game and sit in the tower, while you go do something else.

It is unreasonable to expect these people to have to download the entire skin pack each time updates are made.

This problem could be resolved if HTC had a way to do this while not logged into the game but they don’t.   
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »
How do you stop folks from just upping a gv and hiding or upping a plane setting autopilot and leaving?

Timing with no input might affect bombers that are on a long climb out.

I don't even know if this is possible, but I propose disco after sixty minutes of inactivity whether you are in tower or in sortie.  In sortie doesn't constitute activity if within the preceding 60 minutes you didn't make a single control movement, eye movement, gun movement, throttle movement or pull up the stinking clipboard. 

I fly bombers and often go AFK for long periods on climb out.  Beyond 60 minutes usually results in having been shot down while AFK, or in a position so far off that map that my bombers are useless.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone in this game to demonstrate activity within 60 minutes to remain on the server.

And I'll address this before someone brings it up as a counter arguement.  "What about the guys that will up GV's and rig their contollers so the .50 cal spins in circles"?  I don't have a solution to that, but does any game? 
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
What you all are not taking into consideration. The way the game works now you can only update the skins pack is to be logged onto the game. For some while updating the skins the game does not run stable as it takes up bandwidth as they are downloading.
So the solution is to log into the game and sit in the tower, while you go do something else.

It is unreasonable to expect these people to have to download the entire skin pack each time updates are made.

This problem could be resolved if HTC had a way to do this while not logged into the game but they don’t.

True, but the overwhelming majority of tower sitters are not there exclusively for skin downloads and when compete would otherwise log.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
True, but the overwhelming majority of tower sitters are not there exclusively for skin downloads and when compete would otherwise log.

I would truly love to see your proof of that sir.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
How do you stop folks from just upping a gv and hiding or upping a plane setting autopilot and leaving?

Timing with no input might affect bombers that are on a long climb out.
If they're in the arena you can kill them.  Not a problem.  AFKr's are tasty. 

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »
I would truly love to see your proof of that sir.

Okay if we are going to do lame responses like that, I sir would like to see or proof!   :neener:

The only proof I can offer is myself and multiple friends go AFK go long periods without logging, and although skin download might be a benefit, it is not the reason for going AFK.

If people were really only staying logged in while AFK for skin download you wouldn't see the same people doing it multiple times a month.  If it were only for skins as you argued, they wouldn't continue the behavior after all the skins downloaded, right?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
I tend to agree here. A lot of times what appears to be happening is players leaving their accounts logged in overnight to farm perk points in hopes their country wins the war. Of course...it's mostly Bish since we win the most...but that is another subject...

I agree with the proposal but 60 minutes might be a little fast. Maybe make it 120 minutes or basically what most bombers will take for fuel on a long run. Beyond that people are likely not going to be temporarily AFK while in flight.

As for the skins downloads unless you've just reinstalled the game we don't get a lot of skins downloads now. Someone as well had at some point created a ZIP file available for download in a single shot of the bulk of the skins (not sure if that is still available) that could be easily downloaded and installed into the directory reducing the length of time needed to download skins. Either way - I can't see that as a primary ongoing reason to be AFK for hours on end.

Then you have guys like Cybro who will drive a plane into a tree cluster off field as he did last night to make a base flash after being captured and try to make people crazy while he goes AFK. That is one messed up dude...but we know how to fix him up fairly quickly :D

Anyways...kill off the AFK'ers and ENY will start to get better to a degree or at least help.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »
I believe it will make little or no difference. All sides have folks AFK.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
Maybe make it 120 minutes or basically what most bombers will take for fuel on a long run. Beyond that people are likely not going to be temporarily AFK while in flight.

I find this fascinating, I dont bomb but I never realized that at the extreme you could walk away from the game for two hours and come back to bomb something.  How many new players will want to do that?  Nugetx get in here, lol
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
Okay if we are going to do lame responses like that, I sir would like to see or proof!   :neener:

The only proof I can offer is myself and multiple friends go AFK go long periods without logging, and although skin download might be a benefit, it is not the reason for going AFK.

If people were really only staying logged in while AFK for skin download you wouldn't see the same people doing it multiple times a month.  If it were only for skins as you argued, they wouldn't continue the behavior after all the skins downloaded, right?

My point sir, was you are guessing and really don't know why they are logged in.

Also I did not offer an argument, mine was a simple statement.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline stabbyy

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »

last time i checked... you can download the skins (1 at a time) while annoying its an alternative.. and you can un check the "auto download skins" box( i think it is off by default) but while that may account for 1-2 people.. it does not account for the multiple names that you see many times a week also.. skins are generally on the small side so bandwidth does not really suffer and skin packs for not really released that frequently...so next

there is few inactivity solutions that work as many are easily by passed and the rest are a pain
however one that would work.. decently is "in flight" every 45 minutes you get a pop up confirmation box if no activity(10 minutes after you dc if no response 55min total) that would deter people just spawning up a vehicle/aircraft and 45 minutes would be long enough for most buff pilots on a climb out(800 fpm x45)

and 30 minutes for people in tower with no input...you have to have 2 different systems one global wont work to well

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
I find this fascinating, I dont bomb but I never realized that at the extreme you could walk away from the game for two hours and come back to bomb something.  How many new players will want to do that?  Nugetx get in here, lol

Well sounds like you've never been on a cross map 2 hour+ B29 run then with full fuel. There are a few of us diehard bomber pilots that actually do that and we do go AFK for period during those long climb outs. This is why I said 2 hours. It's the guys that sit in the tower or GV / Manned gun, etc overnight or on a regular basis trying to collect perk points that we're trying to avoid and causing the ENY to be out of whack.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
So this has turned into another failed I hate ENY thread. Please let it die.
If I want to sit logged in, it's my dang $15. If you don't want to fly anything but late war planes, go buy them and fly DCS. HiTech and Skuzzy have found the best all around solution for uneven sides, and people need to quit beating a dead horse and thinking that, like little children think, if you complain enough, they will bow to your desires.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
So this has turned into another failed I hate ENY thread. Please let it die.
If I want to sit logged in, it's my dang $15. If you don't want to fly anything but late war planes, go buy them and fly DCS. HiTech and Skuzzy have found the best all around solution for uneven sides, and people need to quit beating a dead horse and thinking that, like little children think, if you complain enough, they will bow to your desires.

Sorry sir - but I disagree. What we are talking about is obviously an issue that many have expressed concern with and trying to come up with creative thoughts / suggestions of how to improve and make the game better for everyone. if you think that they've found the "best" solution then there would never be another update for the game and it would become stale over time. And yes - you pay your $15 a month just like I do - so we all have a vested interest here.

Cheers,
Elec1

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
last time i checked... you can download the skins (1 at a time) while annoying its an alternative..

You can download all the skins, individually or all of them at once here:  http://www.hitechcreations.com/downloads/downloads-skins.

Just throwing that out there since some didn't seem to know it was available.   :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane