Author Topic: Remove "kill" messages.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: Remove "kill" messages.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »
I would WAG that less than 20% of plane players really put much emphases on landing kills.  That is to say downing the next red is the most important part of the game for most players.

When we had the great tank battles in AH2, it would be rare for anyone to land kills.  You stayed in the fight to the end.

in what AH2 game where u playing Randy people landed gv kills all the time. I got most of my gv achievements in AH2.
I remember 1 night when DR7 landed 149 kills in a tank, I was there and he kinda was spawn camping, but we all were out in the open no bushes to hide behind, gv fights in AH2 were far better and more fun than they are now.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
in what AH2 game where u playing Randy people landed gv kills all the time. I got most of my gv achievements in AH2.
I remember 1 night when DR7 landed 149 kills in a tank, I was there and he kinda was spawn camping, but we all were out in the open no bushes to hide behind, gv fights in AH2 were far better and more fun than they are now.

It's called "selective memory".
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »

I only remember one or maybe two players saying they were leaving to land their kills. 

DR7 was the master of spawn camping in AH2.  If I remember right dr7 has the most kills of anyone . . . ever.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 01:16:45 PM »
AH2 had far fewer trees, open suicidal spawn points, and people whined like banshees here in the forums for Hitech to change it. So Waffle changed the clutter and trees to a more real world configuration with SpeedTree and people whine because they can't slaughter spawners by camping the spawn like they did in AH2. And some of the problem is the maximum object detail view in AH2 is only 3 miles versus the much longer distance AH2 afforded GVers so they didn't have to get up close and personal much of the time. SpeedTree clutter and tree tiles in AH3 force you to go looking for tanks to shoot them. All of the converted AH2 terrain's GV spawn locations were created with the AH2 clutter tiles and trees in mind. Once converted to AH3, they don't work well for the AH2 tank vet expecting business as usual.

My first terrain being 100% AH3, the GV spawns have a compromise of open long range vistas and areas of villages and farm land tree concealment. After several months in rotation I've started seeing well known spawn campers learning the travel routes from the spawn through the villages and setting up ambushes in logical locations where inbound tanks are forced to break cover out into feilds if they want to get to the town quickly. At one spawn a single camper held up several spawned in tanks while they called for air help to locate the sniper. The sniper was hiding behind a building along the road from the spawn out into an open field they had to traverse. After getting picked several times off the spawn entering that field, they refused on VOX to leave the safety of the village buildings until we spotted the sniper for them. Sounds like the same problems the allies faced in the breakout from Normandy.

And I gave GVers a tank pit modeled after the AH2 craterMA tank pit on that terrain to long range spawn camp each other all night long.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
AH2 had far fewer trees, open suicidal spawn points, and people whined like banshees here in the forums for Hitech to change it. So Waffle changed the clutter and trees to a more real world configuration with SpeedTree and people whine because they can't slaughter spawners by camping the spawn like they did in AH2. And some of the problem is the maximum object detail view in AH2 is only 3 miles versus the much longer distance AH2 afforded GVers so they didn't have to get up close and personal much of the time. SpeedTree clutter and tree tiles in AH3 force you to go looking for tanks to shoot them. All of the converted AH2 terrain's GV spawn locations were created with the AH2 clutter tiles and trees in mind. Once converted to AH3, they don't work well for the AH2 tank vet expecting business as usual.

My first terrain being 100% AH3, the GV spawns have a compromise of open long range vistas and areas of villages and farm land tree concealment. After several months in rotation I've started seeing well known spawn campers learning the travel routes from the spawn through the villages and setting up ambushes in logical locations where inbound tanks are forced to break cover out into feilds if they want to get to the town quickly. At one spawn a single camper held up several spawned in tanks while they called for air help to locate the sniper. The sniper was hiding behind a building along the road from the spawn out into an open field they had to traverse. After getting picked several times off the spawn entering that field, they refused on VOX to leave the safety of the village buildings until we spotted the sniper for them. Sounds like the same problems the allies faced in the breakout from Normandy.

And I gave GVers a tank pit modeled after the AH2 craterMA tank pit on that terrain to long range spawn camp each other all night long.

I like your work, but I have this sneaking suspicion that tanktown style stuff is bad for the game long-term.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
Bustr, just had an idea:

For your next map why don't you make three tiny islands that surround the central tank-town with one airfield each from each side that are 'legally' close together as possible. Three little mini fighter-towns, separating out the furballs from the base taking.

Three separate experiences:
- Tank town
- Fighter towns
- Base taking and strat suppression.

I suspect separating out facets of the game from eachother to be detrimental, but it is only a suspicion.

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »
I think the Kill message should say: WTFG! ( Insert Pilots Name)  :devil
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 03:00:23 PM »
At one spawn a single camper held up several spawned in tanks while they called for air help to locate the sniper. The sniper was hiding behind a building along the road from the spawn out into an open field they had to traverse. After getting picked several times off the spawn entering that field, they refused on VOX to leave the safety of the village buildings until we spotted the sniper for them. Sounds like the same problems the allies faced in the breakout from Normandy.

Awesome.   I'd call that great design; you got Art to imitate Life, and of the player's own free accord.  Brilliant.

I want that and more in terrains.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Bustr, just had an idea:

For your next map why don't you make three tiny islands that surround the central tank-town with one airfield each from each side that are 'legally' close together as possible. Three little mini fighter-towns, separating out the furballs from the base taking.

Three separate experiences:
- Tank town
- Fighter towns
- Base taking and strat suppression.

I suspect separating out facets of the game from eachother to be detrimental, but it is only a suspicion.

Since you are an expert on this that I appear to be way behind, why don't you teach the rest of us how to build terrains for this game by creating one. Then we can learn from it. Show me your terrain and then we can talk. Otherwise, I'm working on something lunatic reminded me about AH2 and what kept tankers landing huge kill strings. I cannot give that outright to tankers and not make it miserable for anyone trying to spawn into an area. That was a bad part about spawns in AH2, they were often totally unfair to anyone trying to use them because often the area looked like someone built it to be spawn camped.

I'm hybridizing the farm land around my bases and towns with two farm land tiles. I'm trying to balance giving the spawner a chance to get off the spawn while introducing pastures to cut down on the density of trees while keeping the road system. I'll waste a few days balancing this and timing tank transit times to the town like I did on my first terrain. It has  all of the tank spawns in the center of farm villages to protect spawners from being camped right when they materialized. Back then I wasn't sure of what I was doing so it took a month of trial and error with a stop watch. It felt like I was back doing alpha testing for AH3 all over again.

Overview of the hybridization I'm working on.

Two spawns about 1.5 miles apart to get an idea of average cover for the materializing vehicle inside of the 3000ft random circle.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
Never said I was the expert, its just an extension of what you are already doing; I would like to see the results.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
Never said I was the expert, its just an extension of what you are already doing; I would like to see the results.

No it's you trying to make me do something you don't want to do yourself.

When you submit your terrain, we can talk.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:08:58 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »

1st Bustr what you wrote here has nothing to do with what the OP is talking about and 2nd have you ever made a post that was less than ten lines of text..

I was just commenting on what Randy1 said when he said he didn't remember a lot of people landing GV kills.

oh and bustr I'm am not trying to be a smart azz, even though it may seem so.

it seems we have hijacked aaik's wish post
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:35:25 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
Trees being too thick is one of the roots of why there are no more large scale suicidal spawn camps like in AH2. Your response about that helped me to take a look at what I was doing with the farmland tile in the Pacific tileset on my new terrain. Once I popped in a town, airfield, and GV spawn, it was obvious the trees were still too thick to have a good time with our GV's. So I blended in a pasture tile and opened up the GV combat space. You lunatic inspired me.

Heck, Violator is right about needing airfields closer together which is his single best idea. The majority of airfields on my new terrain are the minimum distance of 19 miles to keep people at each other versus gaining alt flying forever to dump on a furball with alt. That eventually bores players and they go somewhere else. It's a waste of a good evening always climbing just to have someone HO you a few times then run away.

You gents changed the subject to spawn camps, it gave me the inspiration to test if I had made my spawns poorly for GVers.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 10:45:12 PM »
Trees being too thick is one of the roots of why there are no more large scale suicidal spawn camps like in AH2. Your response about that helped me to take a look at what I was doing with the farmland tile in the Pacific tileset on my new terrain. Once I popped in a town, airfield, and GV spawn, it was obvious the trees were still too thick to have a good time with our GV's. So I blended in a pasture tile and opened up the GV combat space. You lunatic inspired me.

Heck, Violator is right about needing airfields closer together which is his single best idea. The majority of airfields on my new terrain are the minimum distance of 19 miles to keep people at each other versus gaining alt flying forever to dump on a furball with alt. That eventually bores players and they go somewhere else. It's a waste of a good evening always climbing just to have someone HO you a few times then run away.

You gents changed the subject to spawn camps, it gave me the inspiration to test if I had made my spawns poorly for GVers.

I do think it is my best idea :D I appreciate the acknowledgement  :cheers:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »
Huzzah! :banana:
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."