Author Topic: Ship Gunnery help  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Rocker

• Zinc Member
Ship Gunnery help
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
I was on a battleship manning the 8" triples trying to help take a base. I was in LAND mode using the mouse pointer method,tapping on my target right before firing. The map view was zoomed in biggest possible to the point where the map was moving in relation to the speed of the ship,35mph I think.
Now is this a case of having to "lead" the intended target? I would have my pointer static and let the target come to me,click and fire. I didn't seem to be as accurate as the guy in the other gun who seemingly could hit whatever target the spotters would call out(VH,FH,ORD...).
I want to learn to be an asset to my countrymen as best I can. I also want to figure out how to take out the shore battery which sunk our fleet!
Kinda like asking a magician how he did that trick, but I couldn't find any answers specifically on precision ship gunnery in this scenario in AH3 in my search online.They might be there but I couldn't find them.
If anyone could share any tips,methods,links that might help I would appreciate it.
There must be others wondering besides me.
Thank you
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:22:47 PM by Rocker »

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: TF Gunnery help
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
Here is what I do:

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a better answer.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Rocker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
Funny. Thanks for sharing. Nice shot BTW!

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:43:08 PM »

Pure luck! Not to often am I in the ship/field guns.

:cheers:
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Rocker

• Zinc Member
Re: Ship Gunnery help
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »
Well it's not a glamorous role but IMO an effective ship gunnery ace could be a deciding factor in sea/land battles.
Especially working in conjunction with an able commander of the vessel. After all you have to protect the fleet above all.
Those 8in. shells do a lot of damage and it's kind of rewarding to see the list of damage done,helping the grunts from afar.
I like tanks and planes but every so often the big guns call.....and I want to be better at it.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »
This was a post I made awhile back about my methods.  You may find some helpful hints:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,385349.0.html

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »
I click on the map as a ranging shot then use the WSAD keys to move it about..50yrds right 50 yrds up etc..F to fire
so my clumsy hands dont need to jiggle the joystick about too much
 :salute Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Rocker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »
Thank you for the replies guys. Very helpful as I didn't think to use the WASD keys to adjust location of strike. I also didn't realize that once you click on the map and fire it maintains that location, then use keys to make small adjustments.
I'll try it tonight in training. Thanks again!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
This ones a pretty good write up on how to range ships with the big guns

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,357591.0.html

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
If you want to go to extraordinary lengths you can prepare a traced overlay of the targets that shows them on the map in relation to the town or field icon by using the offline "arena" and the.....I have know idea what they are called....alternate views that let you fly around. On your overlay you can place all of the guns, hangers, buildings etc. and as long as terrain does not interfere with the fall of the shells you can point and click your way to apocalypse. With this method it actually works better to be farther away so the shells have a more vertical trajectory. At least you USED to be able to do that, now there is more randomization of where the shells land which is a good thing. Before that revision I personally was able to deack and WF a town very rapidly from over the horizon. Since the nerdy joy of clicking a mouse and pressing the F key isn't thrilling for very long I haven't tried in a while and my precious overlays have been recycled.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:13:15 PM by pembquist »
Pies not kicks.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
Yes quite funny! BUT I did say "DONT, kill the radar!" :x  He has a tendency to close his eyes and pull the trigger :neener: I know I said I was going to let that go,boss!  :ahand :rofl That is a funny story for another time  :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Rocker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:34 AM »
At least you USED to be able to do that, now there is more randomization of where the shells land which is a good thing. Before that revision I personally was able to deack and WF a town very rapidly from over the horizon. Since the nerdy joy of clicking a mouse and pressing the F key isn't thrilling for very long I haven't tried in a while and my precious overlays have been recycled.
Well it sounds like you have enjoyed a nerdy joy moment or two in the past at least. Thank you for the insight as it makes sense really.  All you did was map the enemy positions so you knew where to aim. If you're gonna do something,do it best you can. But I imagine you were a victim of your own success pembquist. The dominance of any one weapon in this game will at some point be noticed and coded to promote proper fairness and realism.
But I will try to become more familiar with the targets in relation to the icons on the map.
Can't hurt to know thy enemy eh?
Thanks again pembquist!