Author Topic: saved head positions  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
saved head positions
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
Another question (now that I found the VR forum), can you set up head positions like you can with TrackIR? Frankly, the ability to quickly see behind cockpit structures with TrackIR is very helpful.

I know I have asked previously, but is there a VR set up which allows custom view ratios so I don't need to turn my head 180 degrees to turn around in the game?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: saved head positions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
Yes, you can save head positions, i don't know what it's relative to trackir but yes saved head positions are a thing in vr.

Another question (now that I found the VR forum), can you set up head positions like you can with TrackIR? Frankly, the ability to quickly see behind cockpit structures with TrackIR is very helpful.

Nope, but you can use hat still for rear quarters and up, are useful.
I know I have asked previously, but is there a VR set up which allows custom view ratios so I don't need to turn my head 180 degrees to turn around in the game?
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
The view hat, keypad, TIR, and VR can all use the same saved head positions but since VR saves them separately they have a "_VR" in the HPS listing.

You can set them up in VR or just add the "_VR" without the quotes to a copy of your existing hps file.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
I can't change my head position in VR - it's like it's stuck. I can in regular mode but not VR.  I can reset my position with CTRL-F4 but that's about it...  :headscratch:
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
Mr Fork, so just hit the hat position of the view you want to save (like rear left view) and move your physical head into the position you want to save (like lean over or whatever) and hit F10.  That's what's been working for me.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »

There are some sliders but I don't think they ever worked.  If they did doggone if I can tell what they do.

If you used trackir, going to vr is setback since you have to supplement rear view with the hat switch views.

Very easy to lose a red in air to air until you redevelop this skill.  I keep hoping someone will have a program or something to make vr work like trackir.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »
There are some sliders but I don't think they ever worked.  If they did doggone if I can tell what they do.

There are no sliders that accelerate the VR views. 

There are sliders, you don't know what they do, so maybe you should find out before you post more about them not working.   :aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »

If you used trackir, going to vr is setback since you have to supplement rear view with the hat switch views.

Just to clarify. You do not have to supplement the rear view with the hat switch.  It is optional.  If you can turn around, then you do not need to use the rear view hat trick.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
Mr Fork, so just hit the hat position of the view you want to save (like rear left view) and move your physical head into the position you want to save (like lean over or whatever) and hit F10.  That's what's been working for me.
+1 - never thought of doing that!  Thanks Kanth!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 01:57:39 PM »
There are no sliders that accelerate the VR views. 

There are sliders, you don't know what they do, so maybe you should find out before you post more about them not working.   :aok
Those sliders are for the TOUCH Controllers.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
Just as in TIR, to make some cockpit-head position changes you needed to PAUSE the tracker. Then you could use the Arrow keys to adjust head placement,in VR Control F5 pauses the VR head tracking. Its a bit more wonky than in TIR as seems the range of "Change?" is a bit more constrained, not sure how to actually define it correctly. It does work though, for MACRO changes in head position
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
It's not like TIR. You don't need to pause VR, but as an option you can still take the headset off and adjust the position with your keyboard.

Creative use of recenter helps with big adjustments.

Kanth described the method we've recommended since the beta.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
The whole point of VR is to be immersed and cramped in the cockpit as pilots were in WWII.  If they had to turn around 180 degrees to check their six while rolling the aircraft left and right to see behind them, so should we!  Suck it up  ;)

I grab the arm of my chair when checking six.  It helps me keep my bearings and prevents the chair from turning.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
The whole point of VR is to be immersed and cramped in the cockpit as pilots were in WWII.  If they had to turn around 180 degrees to check their six while rolling the aircraft left and right to see behind them, so should we!  Suck it up  ;)

I grab the arm of my chair when checking six.  It helps me keep my bearings and prevents the chair from turning.

Would it be OK with you if older players and those with disabilities use rear views with VR?